Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: New bernina

New bernina

Has anyone tried the new berninas, the 700 series?

Blog Entries
    No and wont even look. IMHO Berninas are way overpriced. So many others to choose from out there.

Bernina machines are great machines! There is a reason why they command top dollar, and they retain their value for many years.

I haven't had a chance to look at the new series. I have a 640 I absolutely love so I haven't been as motivated to see the new machine. Your question has spurred my interest though! I trip to my dealer this weekend has been added to my plans! Thanks!
    Last edited by Christine-; 09-27-2012 at 04:59 AM.

Haven't gotten to sew on one yet, but did see one. Have the new 830 and my 150 QE which is 13 years old and going strong. Love my Bernina's.

mltquilt

Blog Entries
    I have a Bernina 1260. I love it. It does everything I need it to do so a new Bernina isn't on my want list right now. If I had to have just one machine it would be a Bernina but why have just one? I have Brother, Janome, and Singer too. They all offer something different. Any new machine is amazing.
    Got fabric?

Still love my 1630. Also love my Singer 301. Happy girl here. Would like to add a Viking 540 or 550 for the right price. As BellaBoo said they all offer something different.

I want to see one when I go to the States in 2 weeks.

I've been watching the Bernina 750 on-line, but won't go to the dealership to try it because I'm afraid I'll buy it. I've never had a Bernina before and this one has so many of the things I like, except the price.

I am a Pfaff girl. The Berninas cost too much as do their attachments.

Bernina is the only DSM with a true stitch regulator. That was a big selling point for me. My machine is the 440QE, a bit older, but I've never regretted buying it. It makes free motion so much easier. (Although now I quilt on a longarm...)

I love my Berninas, 440 with embroidery and an older 910 electronic (and a 1300 MDC serger). I did buy all of them used, however (the 440 and the serger were both 1 year old and very slightly used but also a very good price) The new Berninas are high priced and I doubt I would ever buy a brand new one, even though I do love the quality of the brand. I realize you are asking about the features and I can't say I have been in to look at the newest models, despite numurous enticing emails from my dealer.

I am looking for reviews on these machines as well. Can anyone give advice on how to get the "best deal". I see they are listing the MSRP, but how do we find the right dealer. If only my DH would tackle this like he's buying a new car.

We have the new 780 in our store right now so that the owner can demo the new design series. I haven't seen the 750 yet. You should find the best dealer in your area for a new Bernina. Store owners are not required to charge MSRP. Look at the Bernina web site and watch for their sales - particularly like the one that usually happens in the fall giving you 4 years to pay at no interest. Sometimes the LQS that sells Bernina will have pre-owned machines. The hardest part is figuring out how much machine you need and want.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I have a Bernina 1260. I love it. It does everything I need it to do so a new Bernina isn't on my want list right now. If I had to have just one machine it would be a Bernina but why have just one? I have Brother, Janome, and Singer too. They all offer something different. Any new machine is amazing.
    I love my 1260 and it is a real "work horse" plus I have the Artista 165 sewing/embroidery machine (only because a friend upgraded and gave me this machine). You can't beat Bernina. I also have a Bernette Serger and love it too. These machines have metal parts and last forever and ever. I have an Elna and an old Singer for backup machines, but have not had to use them yet. They are both cleaned and oiled if and when I need to use them.
    MaryB

Quote Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
    No and wont even look. IMHO Berninas are way overpriced. So many others to choose from out there.
    I couldn't agree more. My dealer even thinks so and he sells berninas. From what he says they are more problem than they are worth. He says they are great when they are working

Blog Entries
    I had a look at the 780 last week at my dealers. I already have a 730 and wondered if it was worth the expense of trading up. To be honest although it has a new type of bobbin and is that little big larger in the "harp" area I didn't think I could justify the expense. I am also slightly worried that this machine would have similar teething troubles as the 830 when it first came out that I would wait and see how it behalved before taking any further action.

Quote Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
    I have been quilting for 24 years and have 3 Bernina sewing machines. Yes, they are definitely pricey, but they are engineered to last. The machine I've had for 24 years runs as beautifully and smoothly as it did when I purchased it. I am diligent in having my machines serviced annually. My husband gave me the new 8 series machine for my 5 year breast cancer anniversary, and I am in love! The throat is HUGE, and there is absolutely nothing about this amazing machine that I don't love. My sister purchased a used 1260 and again, has had it now for over 10 years without a problem. I love the dual feed, the automatic needle threader and the bobbin cutter make FMQ a dream!!!!

Blog Entries
    Coke, Pepsi, get what YOU like. Awesome for any new sewing machine. I like Pfaff but I am sure there are more great sewing machines out there!!!!!

Blog Entries
    I have heard good things about the new 700 series, just out of my pocket range when I was investing in a sewing computer (see I am learning the lingo!) as well as a serger. Of course I have been buying feet left and right here to get everything I think I need for the moment. LOL I had a hay day with the book they put in with my 380 ---and now you can access it as a pdf ---- search Bernina for "Bernina Accessories Solutions for Your Ideas". Gives you a guide to machines assigning a letter then you go through and find all the presser feet and accessories that will work for your machine! I think my dealer loves me! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    Bernina is the only DSM with a true stitch regulator. That was a big selling point for me. My machine is the 440QE, a bit older, but I've never regretted buying it. It makes free motion so much easier. (Although now I quilt on a longarm...)
    I've had my 440 QE since it came out, never looked back......love it. I also have 1260, wouldn't give it up for the world.