Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
new chair >

new chair

new chair

Old 08-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

I use an old office chair on wheels with no arms on it, and I can lower or raise it. Moving it helps with the strain some.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:42 AM

Maggie,

Could you please explain how the rice takes away pain? Does the rice pack go on the seat or the back, or both? Thank you. Does it work for neck pain?
Old 08-07-2009, 05:24 AM

I have a chair with wheels, and arms that use to be my office chair at work. I bought it for myself at an office warehouse supply place. I like it because I can get my feet on the floor like you are suppose to. I also bought a table from Ikea with adjustable legs that I have lower as well. This has helped my back and kept me from getting tired while sewing.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:52 PM

This may be a bit late but I too have arthritis and I find that if I get up to press rather than having my pressing at hand that does help the "stiffness". I can often get on a roll running chain stitching and than I set a timer to take a break!
Old 08-07-2009, 09:53 PM

I have a chair from Office Depot. Cost over $200 but it is worth every penny. Get the one that has only mesh for the seat and back. It has arms and it is so comfortable that I'm saving for one for the computer. Harriet Hargrave said in a class I took from her to avoid the chairs with foam or cushioning. Get the mesh. She was absolutely correct.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:43 AM

I agree with the rice bags and the getting up to move, in addition I found a seat cushion sold At Canadian tire stores in the car seat cover area, and maybe walmart might have them also. They have a special gel honeycomb foam filling and a handle to carry them with and really make a difference to my sore hips. I take the cushion with me to guild and other meetings, and when they went on special for $15 recently I got a seconde one so I can have one in my sesing chair and one at the computer. I too like the armless office chair with 5 wheels. I like my straight backed wooden chair too but it doesnt scoot back well on the carpet. I long for the day when we can afford to replace the old carpets with a smooth wooden floor.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:39 AM
Banned

Yep! Just move around often. I have a bad back and can't sit for long.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:22 AM

OK.. at first glance you may think this off the wall, but here goes.. especially for whoever wanted a stool like the one at the Dr's office. Call your local hospital and see what they do with "old" hospital furniture that they are replacing. Several hospitals I have worked at have an area for furniture items they are replacing, and will take "bids" on them.. You'd be amazed what you can get and what a reasonable price. I'm still trying for a bedside (or overbed) table.. those are soooooooo handy!
Old 08-09-2009, 05:58 AM

I used to get stiff sewing....but when i went up stsirs to the attic room I didn't set the pressing are a close to the sewing machine. I just never got around to it. My back hasn't ached since. Its all the popping up and down
Old 08-09-2009, 06:37 AM

thanks everyone for suggestions. sounds like getting up and moving around would be a good idea. also the seat from the auto dept. is worth looking into. i have my ironing board right beside me and i just swivel around to iron. just lazy i guess. thought it would save time from getting up and could get more sewing done. thought i might look at habitat for humanity store or other second hand store just to see what they have and then i would donate my old chairs to them. they are fine if you are not sitting too long. anymore suggestions are greatly appreciated. happy quilting