Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: New Coats and Clarks thread spools???

  1. #1
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524

    New Coats and Clarks thread spools???

    Do any of you have trouble with thread sliding off the new Coats and Clarks thread spools as you sew? How do you overcome the problem?

    The machine I'm using right now has a vertical thread holder. There's not enough shoulder on the new spools to keep the thread on the spool and not sliding down to the spool pin.

    I'm trying to think of a way to convert the spool holder to one of the horizontal holders. Not terrible mechanically inclined so it may take me a while.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

  2. #2
    Senior Member almond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Fort Dodge, Iowa
    Posts
    673
    Do you put the little white disk over the spool to hold it on? Also with Coats N Clark be sure the side of the spool that has the notch in it is facing down to the bottom of the spool holder.
    Mary

  3. #3
    Super Member Krisb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Asheville, Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Posts
    1,066
    Blog Entries
    27
    You can get a thread net. Goes over the spool in use to keep the thread from flying off the spool.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

  4. #4
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    42,494
    Blog Entries
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
    You can get a thread net. Goes over the spool in use to keep the thread from flying off the spool.
    this is what i do
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?


  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Southeast Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,067
    I use the white disk holder-on-er thingy that came with machine and the spool stays put. There is probably some technical name for the thing!

  6. #6
    Super Member Peckish's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    6,109
    Blog Entries
    1
    Lol my disks are orange, but I agree - use a disk. Here's what it looks like, before and after.

    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  68.9 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  66.0 KB

  7. #7
    Senior Member omaluvs2quilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    924
    I've never heard of a thread net before. Just did a search and I see...you can leave it on while sewing? Don't want to sound silly, but where should the thread come out?

  8. #8
    Super Member grma33's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Southern Ontario Canada
    Posts
    1,334
    check out superior threads new thread holder i just got it and love it
    the directions on back did not show why you would use hole 2 so make sure you watch all three videos as there are different ways to thread for different spools
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1NZulO_FSw
    Gale

  9. #9
    Super Member Peckish's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    6,109
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by omaluvs2quilt View Post
    I've never heard of a thread net before. Just did a search and I see...you can leave it on while sewing? Don't want to sound silly, but where should the thread come out?
    The net holds the thread close to the spool and it comes off the top. I'm not sure this would work for those spools that have the slit on the edge.

  10. #10
    Super Member ThayerRags's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Frederick, OK
    Posts
    2,050
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    ...thread sliding off the new Coats and Clarks thread spools....the machine I'm using right now has a vertical thread holder.
    I’m not sure everyone caught the part about “vertical thread holder”. On most sewing machines equipped with a vertical spool pin, the thread feeds off of the side of the spool. Also, I take “new Coats and Clarks thread spools” to mean the Coats XP line on new spools that no longer have the notch in the rim.

    If you’re not using a felt pad under your spool, try one and see if it helps. They’re meant to limit the amount of “free-wheeling” that the spool can do when more thread is called for by the mechanism.

    CD in Oklahoma
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

  11. #11
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    11,188
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by almond View Post
    Do you put the little white disk over the spool to hold it on? Also with Coats N Clark be sure the side of the spool that has the notch in it is facing down to the bottom of the spool holder.
    I have never heard of that . Why? I will try that and see what difference it makes. Thanks for the tip. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

  12. #12
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    Quote Originally Posted by almond View Post
    Do you put the little white disk over the spool to hold it on? Also with Coats N Clark be sure the side of the spool that has the notch in it is facing down to the bottom of the spool holder.
    You've misunderstood my problem. I've got a vertical holder. The thread falls off the bottom of my spool and wraps around the shaft.

    And I'm talking about the new spools that do NOT have a notch.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

  13. #13
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    Quote Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
    You can get a thread net. Goes over the spool in use to keep the thread from flying off the spool.
    Which works great with a horizontal spool shaft. I've got a vertical. I could set the spool in a cup behind the machine, I guess.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

  14. #14
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    this is what i do
    Great idea for a horizontal shaft. Not worth a hoot for a vertical shaft.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

  15. #15
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    Quote Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
    I use the white disk holder-on-er thingy that came with machine and the spool stays put. There is probably some technical name for the thing!
    good advise if I had problems with the spool flying off. I have problems with the thread falling off and wrapping around the vertical spool shaft.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

  16. #16
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Lol my disks are orange, but I agree - use a disk. Here's what it looks like, before and after.

    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  68.9 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  66.0 KB

    How does that stop the thread from falling off the BOTTOM? I'm talking about the new spools that have almost NO shoulder.

    Surely, I'm not the only one who is using the new spools.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

  17. #17
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    Quote Originally Posted by omaluvs2quilt View Post
    I've never heard of a thread net before. Just did a search and I see...you can leave it on while sewing? Don't want to sound silly, but where should the thread come out?

    they work wonders with a horizontal spool shaft---------a must have if you're working with invisible thread. You push the net thru the center, bring it up around the spool like slipping on a sock. Put the spool on the horizontal shaft with the open ends to the left. Work wonders

    However, if you have a vertical shaft like I do, the thread sock/net whatever won't work.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

  18. #18
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    The net holds the thread close to the spool and it comes off the top. I'm not sure this would work for those spools that have the slit on the edge.
    Works great for any spool I've got --------------on a machine that uses a horizontal shaft. Just make sure the thread slit is toward the back.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

  19. #19
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    Quote Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
    I’m not sure everyone caught the part about “vertical thread holder”. On most sewing machines equipped with a vertical spool pin, the thread feeds off of the side of the spool. Also, I take “new Coats and Clarks thread spools” to mean the Coats XP line on new spools that no longer have the notch in the rim.

    If you’re not using a felt pad under your spool, try one and see if it helps. They’re meant to limit the amount of “free-wheeling” that the spool can do when more thread is called for by the mechanism.

    CD in Oklahoma

    Thank you for reading my post. Yes, vertical. I don't see how that would stop the tread from slipping off the almost non existent shoulder, but it's worth a try. I can't get any more frustrated than I am now.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.