Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Cutting Board Smell >

New Cutting Board Smell

New Cutting Board Smell

Old 02-10-2010, 10:46 AM

Anyone have any ideas how to get rid of that chemically smell that a new cutting board has? I bought a 24X36 Fiskar's at Joann's last Friday. I sniffed all of the brands and this one smelled the least strong. I have it sitting in my lanai to air; I brought it in yesterday for about a half-hour before I had to get it back outside. The mgr of Joann's said I could bring it back if I can't get the smell out, but I really have to replace the one I have and this one was 40% off. Any ideas?
Old 02-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

I have no idea about a mat smell. I've never been bothered with a new mat smell. I don't even notice the smell of the new ones at the store. I think if someone is sensitive to plastic fumes or have allergies the smell would be a warning to alert them so it may be good that it does smell for those that can smell it. LOL
Old 02-10-2010, 10:59 AM

My Olfa mat smelled horrible as well. I didn't know what to use to neutralize the odor so just put a clothespin on my nose. The smell eventually went away but it took a while.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by grammyjo
Anyone have any ideas how to get rid of that chemically smell that a new cutting board has? I bought a 24X36 Fiskar's at Joann's last Friday. I sniffed all of the brands and this one smelled the least strong. I have it sitting in my lanai to air; I brought it in yesterday for about a half-hour before I had to get it back outside. The mgr of Joann's said I could bring it back if I can't get the smell out, but I really have to replace the one I have and this one was 40% off. Any ideas?
I would bring it back.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:47 PM

When I bought my new mat I did the smell test and I lucked out - it did not smell. I did leave it out on my sun porch for a week or so though - just in case. Would baking soda work? Spray with fabreeze? Good luck.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:55 PM

I was going to say try tossing some baking soda on it. If it would be easy to whipe away maybe put some vinigar in a spray bottle and spray it and then whipe it down with a towel. Maybe vinigar and then baking soda to get rid of the vinigar smell.

Shoot if all else fails make a "bomb" as my daughter calls it sprinkle baking soda, then put vinigar on it.

There is a better odor nutralizer than Fabreeze though. It is called "OdorCide" I use to get it at walmart and they prided themselves on "being able to get the smell of dead body out of material and furniture" Now if that doesn't get rid of your smell nothing will!
Old 02-10-2010, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I'm planning on "airing" it for a few more days and then I'll try each idea. I'll let you know which one works. I was sure hoping that someone had dealt with this problem and had a sure-fire solution.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:57 PM

I bought a mat that I thought would kill me before it was done with all of its out-gassing! Holy cow, it was strong! It gave me a headache every time I used it. The brand was Olfa, and I didn't give it a sniff test before I bought it because I didn't have that problem with any of my other mats. It took a very long time for the outgassing to not bother me, time and air took care of it.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:07 PM

Why don't you contact the manufacture to see what they suggest.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:19 PM

Febreze maybe? Spray it on there and let it dry, could help maybe ....

Rachel