Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New DIL wants to learn to SEW!!!

Red face New DIL wants to learn to SEW!!!

WOO HOO!!! I knew that this girl was the daughter of my heart!
    I called her last night and asked if there was something that she really wanted for Christmas...She said she didn't want anything that would cost much...she admitted that she didn't even know how to thread a needle and that when my son asked her to sew a button back on to his coat yesterday, that she couldn't do it. He went and got out the sewing kit that I made up for him a couple of years ago and proceeded to sew it back on....she was impressed.
    She wants me to teach her the basics...and then to teach her to sew....she wants to be able to quilt.
    So, I just ordered the BROTHER CS60001 60 stitch Computerized Free arm Sewing Machine with Multiple Stitch Functions....I liked this one because it has a speed regulator on it. Fabric.com has it for 169.20 for Cyber Monday...with free shipping.
    And since I was already ordering fabric, the machine added to the fabric order gave me a better deal with the coupon. So my savings was $89.67 and total spent was only $209. I couldn't use the Coupon for the machine, but the order value counted towards the coupon value....I was able to get 30% off the fabric portion of the order.

This will be a fun winter...teaching a complete novice the ropes.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Blog Entries
    how fun that will be and a great way to bond!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

What a wonderful way to build a relationship with your new DIL. Hope all goes well.

You are such a great mother-in-law. May the two of you enjoy many hours of happy quilting.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

That is a wonderful thing to help build the bond between mom and DIL I miss my MIL so much we talked for hours almost every other night she was my best friend. It's so nice to see that MIL and DIL can bond and share their love of crafts with each other.

That is so great. My mother in law and I had much fun learning from each other, mostly cooking, but we both sewed and could enjoy each others endeavors. I am super lucky to have had such a fun MIL, in fact, she is actually my ex-MIL and I did not have to give her up when the divorce happened and she embraces my new DH with open arms and heart. Your DIL is very lucky to have you and vice versa!
    Lynne

Blog Entries
    What a lovely story. My MIL never took a moment's interest in me, never mind buying me as much as a spool of thread!

I hope you have a lifetime of happy times with your DIL. Your son may be spooked when he realises that his wife is more like his Mom than he thought. Tee Hee.
    Fortune favours the prepared mind
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

That's awesome!

What a wonderful MIL you are! I can't think of a better way to get to know your new DIL. And a happy Christmas for you both.
    Friendship is the fabric of our lives!

Happy for You !!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/olgaflowers

Member of a Quilters group at the McKinney Senior Center

Blog Entries
    Oh Susie, that is going to be so much fun. What a bonding experience. And you got a great deal, too.
    Happy Quilting.

I didn't have a MIL who I could do things with. Both of them were too old or in bad health and so we didn't bond much. This would be so much fun and you'll really enjoy teaching her. I had wished I could have a child or grandchild who wanted to sew but not yet.
    Debra

That is awesome. I have four daughters, none of which got the sewing gene, plus three sons, but no DILs. I do have a grand daughter that is showing interest. She is 7 so there is hope, yet. Im sure you and your DIL will share many great times together. You are both blessed to have each other.

You are so lucky. I have 3 daughters and a daughter-in-law. None of them have any interest in sewing. They all expect me to do anything that needs sewing. I must have done something wrong!! When I suggest that I will show them how to do a project, they look at me like I suddenly grew two heads. I do have some DGD who are showing an interest.
    Sue

That is great. My MIL and I had a good relationship and did sewing and crafts together for years. We were very different personalities but had a lot in common and spent a lot of time together after we moved back close to them after my DH retired from the Navy. I miss her a lot. We even shared the same birthday. I am now sharing my love of sewing and crafts with my 14 year old GD.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

What a great gift!
    Mazda

What a wonderful gift that will keep on giving! She is a keeper, that DIL.

You are very blessed! Enjoy every minute
    Arlene

Power Poster
    Gotta give the new DIL some credit too for being willing to ask!

Sounds like a very promising relationship -

WOW! I really wish my former MIL felt that way about me. You and your new DIL are blessed! What a precious thing for her to ask you to teach her to sew and for you to react as you are. I pray that God blesses your new relationship!

Blog Entries
    Have fun ! And now you will have your own quilting buddy We expect pics and updates - tell her we are a demanding group LOL
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

How wonderful for you! I don't hold out much hope for my two DILs as they both work and don't live close enough for me to teach them. Neither has expressed any interest either. I am keeping my fingers crossed that eventually my DGD will want to sit with gramma and learn how to sew and quilt. Right now she is only 3 and can't sit still if her life depended on it. lol.
    Diane
    If you want to make God laugh, just tell him your plans......

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
    Have fun ! And now you will have your own quilting buddy We expect pics and updates - tell her we are a demanding group LOL
    LOL...Sharon, I don't think she is ready to meet this group, yet!!! She still shakes her head a bit when there is a horse stall on my computer..lol
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Blog Entries
    What a wonderful way to start your MIL/DIL relationship! Sew happy for you both!
    Kerry
    ~ American by birth, Southern by the grace of God ~

My MIL is gone and I miss her more than my biological mother. I know I was blessed and it sounds like you will have a great relationship. Congrats!
    Rules of Life:1-Don't take anything personally 2-Integrity of words and deeds 3-Don't make assumptions 4-Do your best

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast