Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Embroidery/sewing Machine

Blog Entries
    I got a Brother Project Runway LB6800 - arrived last night around 8 pm due to the snow etc we had yesterday.
    I wanted to see if I liked Embroidery and if I really wanted to save up for an expensive machine or if this one would do what I wanted.
    I can order the larger hoops for this machine so it may do the trick.
    I also have books from Amazon arriving in the US mail today on machine Embroidery.

Congrats on your new baby! Let us know how you like her.

Blog Entries
    Your machine,what kind of software will you be using?My machines uses the Memory cards.Connie in CO

Blog Entries
    Have fun with your new machine.

Blog Entries
    I have the brother pc700 and love it. have been able to do everything I wanted to. Great little machine . Happy Embroidery !! I also have an old kenmore that on only has the 4 x4 embroidery capibilities

Ohh have fun. I would like to think about that also, but that is way, way, way down the road for me!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Connie in CO
    Your machine,what kind of software will you be using?My machines uses the Memory cards.Connie in CO
    I purchased it from QVC as they have 4 payments of $121 and change - compared to having to come up with the entire amount at once.
    It has USB connect off of the computer. Need to set it up to find out what kind of software etc. I read you can use the designs off the net as long as they are in a certain format - PES.
    Went to Joann's yesterday and got 2 yards of Pellon tear away stablizer, 2 yards of white muslin and some embroidery thread - machine came with a spool of embroidery BOBBIN thread.
    It comes with a 4x4 hoop, can get up to a 5x6 I think for it. That can be done down the road.
    4x4 might be plents as I am looking into doing a small embroidery then making it a quilt block with the design in the middle.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Japonica
    Ohh have fun. I would like to think about that also, but that is way, way, way down the road for me!!!
    QVC has 4 payments instead of the whole amount - plus shipping and handling = about $500 total.
    4 payments is a lot easier to handle.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, it should be a lot of fun. Just imagine the possibilities!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mymsmess
    Congrats on your new baby! Let us know how you like her.
    What if it's a boy machine? My Euro is a boy.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Oh that's great! This darn board is getting too expensive for me- now I find myself wanting an embroidering machine and I didn't before HAHA
    I've acquired many things since joining that I never knew I HAD TO HAVE :D:D

I have a Brother 1250 and there are a few things that I don't like about it. 1st the embroidery patterns are very small and not in color. Sometimes it is difficult to determine what the pattern is. 2nd, mine is a sewing / embroidery machine and it is extremely sensitive to the kind of thread you use. Coats and Clark won't do. Has to be some of the more expensive thread. Thread gets caught when removing spool. always unthread from the top down. If you get any thread caught in the mechanism, you'll have to take to shop. I didn't know anything about embroidery either. If you reduce the size, most of the time, your piece will be ruined as the thread is loose in the pattern and balls up on the wrong side. If you use a pattern from online, chances are you will have problems there.

I have learned the hard way and have thrown away many items of clothing because of one of these problems.

Sounds like you have a more expensive machine and will work better for you than mine. Good luck.

Congrats on your new machine. I think you will love embroidery. It is adictive, I love making crib/lap quilts with embroidery blocks. There are so many designs available.
    It is expensive, but what isn't these days.

:thumbup:

Blog Entries
    The Brother I bought is around $500. Compared to many of the other Embroidery/Sewing machines, Brother one is $5,000!
    Babylock starts around $4500 - $9,000, Bernina has their top of the line for a car payment so to speak $13,000!
    I got an inexpensive one to see if I like doing Embroidery first, if I want to do the larger patterns, I can save up for a higher cost machine.

Blog Entries
    My problem with getting patterns from the internet is not being able to open them. Didn"T know that would be a problem, so before even trying, I downloaded lots of free designs in the right format, . Then when I did try, the files seem to be "zipped" and I don"t know how to unzip them. Can anyone help me with that?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    My problem with getting patterns from the internet is not being able to open them. Didn"T know that would be a problem, so before even trying, I downloaded lots of free designs in the right format, . Then when I did try, the files seem to be "zipped" and I don"t know how to unzip them. Can anyone help me with that?
    Perhaps a unzip program such as WinZip?

You will love it once you start playing with it. I just brough myself a Brother Quattro a few weeks ago. Anb boy do I love it.
    Maryfrances Ellis
    [email protected]

Try a memory stick and copy the files to that then use the stick on the usb port on your machine.

Blog Entries
    You will have a LOT of fun with this machine :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    If I double click on the zipped file, it automatically opens it. Once it is unzipped, a second folder is created. That is the one you will be using, you can then delete the zipped file :D:D:D

I love Machine Embroidery...
    I find that I use the 5x7 hoop the most.
    I have the Duetta and just love that machine!
    Kirsten

I think you were smart to get the less expensive machine. 11 years ago, I purchased an embroidery machine but never really got into the embroidery. I think I did no more than 1/2 dozen.

I love it as a sewing machine but could have saved a lot of money if I'd taken your path.

What I do I have a brother machine to So what I do is Copy the zip files on a memory stick Then when you put the stick in your usb port of your machine will be able to read them.

Blog Entries
    I use a free program called WinRar for unzipping files. It seems to have more features than WinZip, and is easier to use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast