• Main
  • New to EQ--Is EQ7 worth $70 more than EQ6 >
  • New to EQ--Is EQ7 worth $70 more than EQ6

• New to EQ--Is EQ7 worth $70 more than EQ6

Old 08-28-2011, 07:27 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by weezie
    Originally Posted by Glassquilt
    I've had EQ6 for 4½ years - don't know how long this version will be supported.
    If I were to buy today I'd get EQ7 knowing it would be supported that much longer.
    At the time I bought EQ5, EQ6 was on the market, but I didn't want to spend that much money on a program that I might not use much. As it turns out, EQ5 was a waste of my money also, because I never use it and have no interest in it as yet.

Now you all have me curious as to what is meant by these EQ programs being supported, such as newer being supported longer. Can anyone explain what this means, please? Are there some sort of limitations on the time in which one can use the EQ programs?
    What we mean by 'support' is that the people at EQ will eventually quit supporting the older versions, just as Microsoft no longer supports MS-DOS. Your version will still work, but if you have questions about it they may not get answered, bugs won't get fixed, etc.

EQ6 was a huge step up in user friendliness (ease of use) and in capability. It has a different "look and feel" than EQ5. I have the Dear Jane software, on which EQ5 is based, and thought it was clumsy in comparison. (It was still a lot better than no software at all, IMHO.) The reason I say this is that users who tried EQ5 and didn't like it might have a different response if they try EQ6 or 7.
    Old 08-28-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
    Originally Posted by weezie
    At the time I bought EQ5, EQ6 was on the market, but I didn't want to spend that much money on a program that I might not use much. As it turns out, EQ5 was a waste of my money also, because I never use it and have no interest in it as yet.

Now you all have me curious as to what is meant by these EQ programs being supported, such as newer being supported longer. Can anyone explain what this means, please? Are there some sort of limitations on the time in which one can use the EQ programs?

What we mean by 'support' is that the people at EQ will eventually quit supporting the older versions, just as Microsoft no longer supports MS-DOS. Your version will still work, but if you have questions about it they may not get answered, bugs won't get fixed, etc.

EQ6 was a huge step up in user friendliness (ease of use) and in capability. It has a different "look and feel" than EQ5. I have the Dear Jane software, on which EQ5 is based, and thought it was clumsy in comparison. (It was still a lot better than no software at all, IMHO.) The reason I say this is that users who tried EQ5 and didn't like it might have a different response if they try EQ6 or 7.
    Now I get it! Thanks very much for explaining, Dunster. Because of my general lack of interest in quilt software, I can't imagine ever wanting to upgrade, but what you said is good to know.
    Old 08-28-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
    I've had EQ6 for 4½ years - don't know how long this version will be supported.
    If I were to buy today I'd get EQ7 knowing it would be supported that much longer.
    I agree and I have had EQ since 3
    Old 08-28-2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by woodgerber
    Hello!

I have recently discovered the fun of quilting and would like to try an Electric Quilt program. Since I just started quilting in January of this year, I do not want a program too advanced for a beginner to enjoy nor too simple for me to expand my skills.

I am trying to decide between EQ6 and EQ7. Is there any difference between the 2 programs in terms of easiness to use, ability to add your own fabrics, or any other fun features that helps to design your own quilt patterns. My initial impression from the EQ website is that EQ7 appears more complex to use.

I do not mind paying more if EQ7 is as easy to use as EQ6 and has newer/updated features.

I would appreciate your opinion since I have never used either program and would like to hear user opinions other than by someone trying to sell me the program. :)

Thanks,
    Anna
    I've upgraded from EQ6 to EQ7 and it really is worth the extra money. It is quite a complex programme and it will probably take me months to find out all that it does but the handbook is excellent, as are the video lessons that come with it. I'm discovering new things every time I use it! I'm very fortunate that the company from which I purchased it, gives free telephone support, with no time limits!
    Old 08-28-2011, 04:08 PM

ok with all that has been said, I have all 3 programs, EQ 5, 6 & 7 as well as Quilt Pro 4 & 5. I also have an older computer which runs Windows XP

Now I have to say that on this computer, Quilt Pro 5 is the best running program and this has proven to be the most reliable one I have used. Almost every quilt I make is done with Quilt Pro 5. It's simple, to the point and lets me add my own fabrics and block designs.

EQ 6 was a good contender as well but the learning cure is a little higher and like so many have said, you need to keep at it to remember all the things it does differently then Quilt Pro.

But the biggest problem I've had with EQ is when I upgraded to the EQ 7. That is when the all the errors started showing up in printing out the pages once you are done designing your quilt. You have an option of printing out either a line drawing or color and I can never get the line drawing to print. It always prints with the color. Yes I have changed all the settings more then enough times to be sure it wasn't something that I'm doing wrong. It shows a line drawing but it still prints out in color and in some cases when printing in color, it messes that up too. Then in some of the designs where you draw out you own block patterns, it will not give you correct measurements and that also has been a big problem because then all the measurements and estimated yardages are wrong. There are other issues with this program on this computer but I haven't used it in so long I don't remember what they all were. The last time I used EQ it miss calculated the blocks so badly I gave up on trying to use it. The quilt was done with alternating blocks (the same size), their pre-designed ones, and the blocks came out different sizes when sewn together it was a mess, one set of blocks came out to 8 1/2" unfinished and the other was 8" unfinished. I ended up making another set of blocks of each design and making 2 quilts so they didn't go to waist but the point is, this is not what I need in a program. I make enough mistakes on my own.

It seems a lot of people are very happy with EQ but for me and my older computer, I'm much more happier with Quilt Pro. Less time working on how to get things in order and printed out so I can start my quilt. And I have never had an issue with wrong measurements in my designs.
    Old 08-28-2011, 07:51 PM

Thank you for the input on Quilt-Pro. I am definitely going to check out Quilt-Pro 6 in addition to EQ7.
    Old 09-01-2011, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by QKO
    EQ7 has a lot of new features, not the least of which is the ability to easily add your own fabric images, and it's a lot easier to manipulate those images.

EQ7 is a MAP-controlled product, that is, sellers are not allowed to advertise it at less than the Manufacturers Advertised Price.

To get a deal on it, you need to find a dealer that will sell it at less, or whom offers rebates on it. Online is your best bet.
    I agree with OKO that EG7 is the way to go. I have designed my own quilt using the fabric I had in mind to use and it was great to see what the quilt looked like before cutting the fabric.
    Old 09-01-2011, 05:04 AM

Thanks for all your replies. I ordered EQ7 from Quilt in a Day during the Labor Day Sale.

Anna
    Old 09-01-2011, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by woodgerber
    Thanks for all your replies. I ordered EQ7 from Quilt in a Day during the Labor Day Sale.

Anna
    You won't be disappointed!