Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New Fabric Marking Pen

exactly and I have never stored a quilt in a freezer so I think it will be ok...

I need a fabric pen that will NOT come off, for people signing friendship quilts. We have been making them for teachers we had in Beaverton high school 50 years ago.

It get really cold here I would be afraid even transporting a quilt in the winter that it might come back so I will not use them for marking the top. I tested them too at first it was magic then when cold even out on the deck it came back.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    It get really cold here I would be afraid even transporting a quilt in the winter that it might come back so I will not use them for marking the top. I tested them too at first it was magic then when cold even out on the deck it came back.
    Plus my bedroom has no heat. I don't want lines on the top of my quilt all winter long...

I ordered a set of 5 (different colors) extra fine point from Amazon for just over $10. Love them

I found them on: apenloversparadise.com
    Click on Ball Frixion.

Individually they only come in red, blue and black and are $2.35 ea. But if you order the 8 pk. pouch, you can get in 8 different colors and are $21.95

It is an erasable pen. The friction of erasing makes the ink dissappear. (It says not to use for signing important papers.) So, I can see why ironing would make the ink dissappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Henderson
    I think it is wonderful for marking a sew line or cut line, so I will use these. I won't mark a quilt top, as I have great luck with a chalk or light pencil mark.
    I don't get hung up on detail, as my quilts will be washed and washed and loved, none will ever go in shows or museums. So... I thank ya'll for your input.
    DITTO on this one :D

Blog Entries
    I've seen them before.You can get them at an office supply store. I tested it on a scrap of fabric, yes the line when away when you ironed it,but I stuck it in the freezer and the mark came back. I know.....who sticks a quilt in the freezer, but what I'm trying to point out is that the chemical is still in the fabric. What will happen to those markings 10 years from now? I'd use it with caution.

Blog Entries
    The owner of my LQS advised not to use on Blacks & Reds.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    PLEASE do more research....there are plenty of topics here on QB about this pen..even some with TUTES about how the ink does NOT fully leave the fabric.

Blog Entries
    Why not use on Black and Red fabric?

I just bought 3 of them at my local quilt store, I think that would be your best bet to find them. Very reasonable here, $1.50 each. I have used them already, they work great.

Lana

Want all to know that our applique group did some testing with these pens, and we approve. Once the fabric is washed the cemical that is in the ink disapears forever and no matter how cold it get it never comes back.
    Toddy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marid
    It does not completely iron or erase away.

Quote Originally Posted by kuntryquilter
    Sorry, but it does.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy
    Sorry, but it does.
    I have not tried it on these colors, I am only repeating what my dealer told me and others that were with me.

Blog Entries
    I saw one at a recent quilt show!

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy
    Sorry, but it does.
    I have not tried it on these colors, I am only repeating what my dealer told me and others that were with me.
    I am sorry should not have been so short with my answer. Resently I used the dark blue to make a quilting pattern on the sashing of an opportunity quilt. In the process of pressing the sashing the markings would vanish so I would put the quilt in the frezzer until they would come back. When we were all done we washed the quilt and than put in the frezzer, no markings. I really think this would work for all the colors. I am now using the red to make for a piece of redwork embrodery.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    These pens are fine to use for marking fabric for me. Many quilt bloggers have tested and retested them. One blogger, a chemist, tested the pens on fabric with starch, no starch, washed, ironed, and frozen. I forgot all the results but the chemical analysis showed the pens do not harm cotton fabric. Quilt bloggers are in the thousands online and one bad product, the news travels in seconds to millions of followers. Same with a great new product.
    Thank you

I bought these when taking a class at LQS and havw had no problems. I use to mark diagonal lines on quilt tops. hit with iron after done and like magic, it's gone!

As a note - if the fabric gets real cold, the marks will come back. They can be removed again by ironing. I learned that from a quilting friend in Canada and thought I would share.

Yes I have some of these, but after reading some of the posts on this board and then stupidly pressing the pattern I had just drawn, I gave up!:)

Blog Entries
    how often would a quilt freeze is my question? lol

Blog Entries
    I don't know why some get such variants when using these pens. I've been using them for FMQ since they first came out and have never had any poblem with the markings showing up in cold temps. I put a ziplock bag of my practice samples in the freezer for over a week and the ink never showed up again. I'm wondering if some are purchasing pen similar but not the Pilot Frixon pens or it Pilot vary the ink from pens to pens. I wouldn't think so. They worked great for me when I was learning (an am still learning) how to FMQ. I purchased mine from Staples

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast