Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New girl here! In need of some advice!! >

New girl here! In need of some advice!!

New girl here! In need of some advice!!

Old 03-04-2014, 10:07 AM

Great post, Prism! You've made very clear, to a beginner, as she indicates she is, how fabric works. So much of this stuff is listening to good advice, then taking your time in following that advice. We learn so much by "doing" but words of wisdom from those who have already gone thru the aggravation of getting it wrong is a tremendous help! I sewed for many years, made all my own clothes, clothes for others, and lots of household items, before I began quiltmaking. It's a different breed of cat in many ways and reading about what others have already learned--mistakes and triumphs--here and elsewhere, has been invaluable to me. And it will be to her, too!
Old 03-04-2014, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas View Post
Paperprincess has provided good advice. Please be sure that your cutting surface under your mat is perfectly flat. If, for example, you are cutting on a table that has a leaf, there may be an uneven spot that will make a difference. Ask me how I know!
And welcome to the board from chilly, but the sun is coming out and it should finally get into the 40's today, North Texas. froggyintexas

Off topic, but I'm in north Texas, too, and aren't we glad to see the sun! And the ice melting!
Old 03-04-2014, 10:47 AM

I have the Better homes and gardens complete guide to quilting! It is a fantastic book!

I am so glad I joined this board! Everyone is so helpful and kind and very quick to respond!!!

It's also nice to meet quilters who are also dispatchers!! How wonderful!

Thank you all so much I am reading and re reading all your replies!
Old 03-04-2014, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

Sewnoma has the best advice, as the fabric needs to be lined up to the grain, and that will help get rid of the wonky strips. Give her method a try, but it does get easier with practice. We all had to start somewhere and I don't believe there is a quilter here on QB who hasn't had trouble with wavy cuts when they first started.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:35 PM

Welcome to the QB---------I'm from Minnesota-------------You'll love it here!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2014, 05:01 AM

This will happen when your fabric is not squared up correctly before you start folding and cutting as well. And yes the more you fold the more likely this will happen. I'm not good at explaining the process of "squaring up" but I bet there is a youtube on that. It has to do with having your selveges straight and make a cut straight cut to begin your process of cutting. Maybe someone else can explain it better!
Old 03-05-2014, 05:15 AM

Welcome Dispatchgirl, don't feel bad I have problems cutting too. I am getting better. I try to make good cuts, it is very important I have learned, lol. Your blocks look so much better if they are cut correct. I am still learning a lot from this group, wonderful people here. I read it everyday and always learn something, so just keep trying and you will get better. I look to this board for help a lot myself. Happy cutting and enjoy your work, it gets better
Old 03-05-2014, 05:46 AM

I love using the slidelock ruler because it does not slip.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:32 AM

June Taylor Shape Cut is the answer to me. The weight of the big slotted ruler keeps your fabric stabilized while you cut. Also you are not moving your ruler each time you cut a strip. I measure across the ruler to each cutting spot for my strip and mark it with that glow tape, so I know I'm in the right slot without taking time out to measure between the cuts. It works so fast....love this slotted ruler. JoAnn's has the best coupons at 50% I put their ap on my phone and pull it up when I'm in the store.,..also get on their mailing list. They currently have 40% coupon on the ap.....so it might be best to purchase now since you have an immediate project. Watch for Joann's quilt notions sale...it is normally a 50% off. Oh, I put the fold at the bottom, stabilizing the area that normally gets the "V" shape...I do this with the June Taylor slotted ruler as well.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:33 AM

welcome from se TX -- I don't like cutting either but have improved with practice!!