Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Guild and Insurance >

New Guild and Insurance

New Guild and Insurance

Old 10-09-2010, 08:00 PM

Hi, We have started a new quilt guild in our small town. I have been elected the treasurer. Now I face the question of finding out necessary information. Like: how do we get guild insurance? And do we even need it? Any tips on the starting of a new guild? At this point we have had 2 meetings. We have elected officers and an amount of dues for each year. Now what?
Thanks
Old 10-09-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by hexagonquilter
Hi, We have started a new quilt guild in our small town. I have been elected the treasurer. Now I face the question of finding out necessary information. Like: how do we get guild insurance? And do we even need it? Any tips on the starting of a new guild? At this point we have had 2 meetings. We have elected officers and an amount of dues for each year. Now what?
Thanks
I am the treasurer of our local guild and we do not have insurance. Why would you need it? Do you own your own building for meetings? We meet in a church meeting room and their insurance would cover anything that was a problem, but you are not likely to have any issues.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by hexagonquilter
Thanks
The insurance you will need depends on where you hold your meetings I think. The church where we have our meetings requires us to have liability insurance (SLIP, I think). It doesn't actually cover the members, but does cover any speakers or teachers we hire.
We get ours thru' the Southern California Council of Quilt Guilds. You may be able to get some info that would help you on their website: http://www.sccqg.org if you email our insurance coordinator (click on the Board Members link).
They also have lots of good info on the things you may need for your guild as well. Of course, some things may well be different here in California, but they do have lots of great ideas.
Good luck & congratulations on your new guild!!
Old 10-09-2010, 08:25 PM

If you want to be a charitable organization, you will have to fill out the paperwork for that. You will need bylaws and a constitution. I'm trying to remember all the paperwork my guild has!
Old 10-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Power Poster

I'm president of our guild. One thing I made sure of was to have a first aid kit and a box of disposable gloves and a package of terry wash cloths. One of our members fell and and busted her head open. We didn't have any cloths to put on her wound, no gloves to keep the blood off hands, and no first aid of any type to use until the ambulance arrived. I made a file with every member's name and emergency contact number, medicines or medical problems that the EMTs needed to know about. The file is kept in the first aid box. We never had a medical emergency before but all it takes is one time to find out what you don't have/know to help. I doubt you need insurance, the members's medical insurance will cover them and the owner of the building will have insurance. Check with the owner of where you meet.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:35 PM

We are meeting in the basement of a local bank. I was told if we were to have a show we would need insurance and if we have someone come as a guest speaker we need insurance.
At this point we have about 30 members. Are going to meet once a month. We want to make this be simple and fun. But I agree with the idea of the first aid kit. I have first aid training and I know there are at least 3 nurses in our group so we would have some medical knowledge.
Does anyone know if there is a Wisconsin Council of Quilt Guilds?
Old 10-10-2010, 04:03 AM

Contact an independant insurance agent in your town - general liability is available for groups such as a guild and the agent will ask the right questions to get you the best pricing out there. Very common for different types of groups. Best wishes!