Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Hand Quilting Method >

New Hand Quilting Method

New Hand Quilting Method

Old 03-20-2016, 04:25 AM

Default New Hand Quilting Method

I took a class in stab stitching yesterday and it was very good. This method is going to make my stitches more even on the back and front and it is easier to do because I don't have to turn my material all the time. I used the rocking method with my middle finger before and it was good but this stab stitching is going to be even better. I just need to practice and I am.

Hand stitching is so relaxing. It is something that you can do while watching TV or waiting around for time to go somewhere. It is something I can sit and do and rest. If I did not have this hobby I would be twitching and cleaning all the time and who wants to do that?

Just wanted to encourage doing quilting by hand. What is the hurry about making a quilt? If you sew by hand your material will last longer. You will spend less money. I still make enough quilts that I don't always have a place to gift them. I have been hanging them on my bedroom wall. Just think about doing some hand quilting. It is fun!
Old 03-20-2016, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

I have so many great quilt top ideas and my hand quilting is too slow. When I do hand quilt I do my rocking stitch and use stab stitch through any thick spots. I found if doing stab stitching, it helps to stabilize the sandwich with some straight pins around the area so the layers don't move while stab stitching.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

I do not do much hand quilting but I use the stab method when I am doing a big stitch.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

Different strokes for different folks. I'm glad you're enjoying hand quilting.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:56 AM

somewhere i had come across some needles that were pointed on both ends to do stab stitching.

I also love hand quilting - so relaxing. Just can't be in a hurry to finish a project
Old 03-20-2016, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

I love hand quilting and have been doing it since the early 70's. The only reason to rush is because you needed it yesterday. I agree with you. enjoy the process.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:02 AM

Could you please explain a little about the method you learned? I do stab stitching also and am always ready for improved methods!
Old 03-20-2016, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

I tried stab stitching, but it took me forever. (at least it felt like that). I am glad that it is working for you.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:52 AM

I love to hand quilt too. I enjoy the process and don't care how long it takes. I don't know the stab stitching technique either but I'm glad you found it helpful.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:51 AM

Yes, right now the stab stitching is taking a bit longer but I hope I will get faster as I practice. With any new technique I have to practice, practice to get good at it. The main thing I learned in class was to have the material in the frame very tight (when I learned the rocking motion I was told to have it material a little loose). The teacher stressed that the needle needs to go straight down and straight up so you want to keep that in mind when stabbing. The real key is that it is the right hand that goes underneath the frame and pushes the needles up through the material and it is the left hand that stabs the needle down so you are using both hands. Don't need a thimble and your fingers don't get sore. The light has to come over my right shoulder instead of my left shoulder. It is interesting and I will eventually get faster. My stitches are straighter and more even but if I don't go straight down or straight up they will turn. I use a rectangle square frame with a pillow in my lap but I am going to buy a round frame with legs so it will set higher in my lap without the pillow. It's just a bag of fun!