Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: new idea for snappy bags - can it be done?

Blog Entries

new idea for snappy bags - can it be done?

I am making all gifts for Christmas this year, as all our $ goes to hospital and doctor bills.

Anyway, I am making the granddaughters some snappy bags - with the measuring tape closure.

I would like to make one reversible, but know the tape has to go number side to the outside to work properly. But, what if you taped 2 layers of tape together, so that the numbers DO face the outside, no matter which outside you are talking about.

Do you think that would work? It seems to when just playing with the tape. I can't wait to get home tonight and try it. Opinions?

Interesting thought - keep us posted.

Blog Entries
    It sounds like if you sewed the two sides of the tape measure together you would get what you want. Good luck.

I wonder if the opposing taped would cancel each other out, making the top not snap. How about making a small tube of fabric and putting the 2 pieces of measuring tape in and trying?

Please forgive my ignorance, but I would love to know what you are talking about...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond View Post
    Please forgive my ignorance, but I would love to know what you are talking about...
    http://tatteredgarden.blogspot.com/2...-tutorial.html

In my directions the numbers are supposed to face the inside of the bag and I made about 20 for gifts this year. Used theme fabric to match the persons personnality.

Blog Entries
    Don't know if it would work but what if you did two channels for the tape? Put the top channel going one way and the bottom channel going the other. Might work
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Interest to see if you tried it yet. I made several of these bags but never thought of making them reversible. Good idea if it works.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

I've been trying to get them with finished edges on the inside, so far I am still having issues, but if you were to get reversible I would love to know.

I would think that it wouldn't work. It is hard enough to turn them inside out when they are sewn that I'm afraid that the tape would kink. I serge the side seams inside and then turn them right side out.
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

I'm curious to know if it works.
    Linda

Blog Entries
    I would like to see some pictures of your bags. I have never heard of what you are doing. sounds interesting!
    Have a MC-HNY
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I don't think it would work because it would be difficult to turn them inside out when you want to use the other side. On the tutorial mentioned above, it didn't show the little tabs that make them easier to open. My quilt guild has been making lots of these bags. Something different and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by mic-pa View Post
    In my directions the numbers are supposed to face the inside of the bag and I made about 20 for gifts this year. Used theme fabric to match the persons personnality.
    I've made quite a few of these bags & done the tape measure both ways. Found that if I put the numbers facing inside you get the "auto close". Facing outside you get the "snap sound". Really depends on what & who they're for. For little catch-all bags for grandsons-the snap, for granddaughters & co-workers the auto close.
    These are some I just finished.
    Name:  red purse.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  82.7 KBName:  brown and pink.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  93.9 KBName:  DSC04268.JPG
Views: 281
Size:  158.1 KB

Awseome bags! After seeing yours, I think I need to make some more. I think I made one with the tape going the wrong way, and it worked fine.

I've never made these bags but after reading others' posts I see the bags close no matter which way the tape is inserted. So, perhaps you don't need 2 layers of tape to make them reversible.

Blog Entries
    Some of the tutorials make it a little confusing when they say which side the numbers should be on.....inside or outside. I have 2 tape measures....one with the numbers on one side and one with numbers on the other side of the concave.

It is much clearer if the directions say the concave of the ruler goes to the outside.

Why not turn one you have already made and see if it works wrong side out? Surely does since some say they have turned the tape either way. I have just made my first one but have taken it apart to make some changes. I also want to put it together so the seams are different. Plan to sew each piece right sides together. Turn them and put the lining inside. Then add the band to the top turning the ends in so that the tape goes through that. The ends of the band could then be top stitched to enclose the tape. Now my problem is the sides where the seam from the bag meets the top band. Haven't figured that out but haven't tried it yet either. "Where there is a will there is a way". Don't know who said that other than my mom but I have the will to try it. The reason I took mine apart is I love the fabric and its the only piece I have of it.

I have probably made over 200 of these bags and was never aware that the numbers to face one way or the other. The original class that I took just told us that one way the bags opened quietly and the other way they made a pretty loud click. I think early on I did do one reversible. I would certainly make one that could be reversible and before sewing the final seam closure try it out. You may have to make them just a little larger so they will be easy to turn. Also, if the fabric is heavier than usual I cut two pieces of tape for each side and it give a nice firm closure.

I just made 3 bags for gifts and wanted them to be more finished , so I actually made a lining and a bag - turned down an inch and a quarter and peressed on each to double the casing because it was just cotton fabric - inserted the lining - stitched my lower stitch line all the way around, inserted the 2 tapes and then stitches at the top edge allthe way around and there were no raw seams and it worked great. I didn't try turning it inside out, but maybe this will help.

Do you have pictures of the process? I need visual, even if I think I understood what you are talking about.
    Your way sounds like the best one yet. I was doing lining as well but I still had unfinished seams at the top where the tape was inserted.

Quote Originally Posted by partsalot View Post
    I just made 3 bags for gifts and wanted them to be more finished , so I actually made a lining and a bag - turned down an inch and a quarter and peressed on each to double the casing because it was just cotton fabric - inserted the lining - stitched my lower stitch line all the way around, inserted the 2 tapes and then stitches at the top edge allthe way around and there were no raw seams and it worked great. I didn't try turning it inside out, but maybe this will help.

I like the ones with the handles. Other one seems to be a clutch type. Are there other sources for patterns? Thanks.

Would love to know how this turns out so please keep us posted. Good idea if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma58 View Post
    Do you have pictures of the process? I need visual, even if I think I understood what you are talking about.
    Your way sounds like the best one yet. I was doing lining as well but I still had unfinished seams at the top where the tape was inserted.
    if you are making it reversible there will be SOMEWHERE that has to be hand stitched closed, if you dont like it at the top, try from the side.
    but the tape would still have to be inserted LAST...

hmmmmm
    Candace is Deranged
    so many babies.. sew little quilts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast