Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: New idea

  1. #1
    Super Member Flying_V_Goddess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,722
    This is the latest quilt design I've come up with. What do you think?


  2. #2
    ccbear66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knob Noster, MO
    Posts
    913
    Very stunning. I think that would make a very beautiful quilt. Keep us posted as you start on it. We can't wait to the the finished results.

  3. #3
    Super Member Flying_V_Goddess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,722
    Love to make it into a quilt, but...no fabric. And I've never made the blocks that make this up before so I'm kind of not sure how to go about this in the least frustrating way possible.

  4. #4
    Norah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    659
    It IS stunning. What colors are you using and how big? Maybe some of us have extra fabric?

  5. #5
    Community Manager PatriceJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,170
    Blog Entries
    3
    yes ... that's a wonderful design. not only pretty ... it will give you lots of practice with half-square and quarter-square triangles. :P

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    285
    Awesome design. And if you use a solid light fabric in the large white areas it can be a siggy quilt or a family memory quilt. Even a story quilt. That is a really cool design. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Pam :-) :-) :-)

  7. #7
    Super Member ania755's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,741


    :D That's a great design....I really love it....

  8. #8
    Super Member Tiffany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Idaho Falls
    Posts
    1,908
    I love the quilt design. Do you design a lot of quilts? I must say, you've really got my creative juices flowing with this design. Amazing! Do you know what technique you'll use for the pattern? It seems to lends itself both to paper piecing and simple piecing techniques. I can picture it done in earthy colors, scrappy and with perhaps a light to dark effect across the top.

    If you draw a line through the larger black and pink shapes, they will turn into half square triangles. Have you sewn with half square and quarter square triangles before? If not, I can see where they might look a bit intimidating.
    ~Tiffany


  9. #9
    live2teach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Good Ole' West Virginia
    Posts
    1,639
    That is an awesome design..I absolutely love it!

  10. #10
    Super Member 2 Doods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NW Oregon
    Posts
    1,816
    Very striking! I hope you get to make it soon. It will be so pretty!

  11. #11
    community benefactor Knot Sew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5,723
    Very nice, try a block or two using some scraps and see how it goes. I give you an A+ :D

  12. #12
    Super Member vicki reno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,272
    I love the design! I thnk you are on a roll with this one :!:

  13. #13
    Super Member sewmuch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,562
    Thats a great design, would like to try it sometime. :-)

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    9,792
    Blog Entries
    1
    Wow!! That's cool! I'd do it with red, blue and green. :D Did you use that design CD to create that?

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma city Okla
    Posts
    145

    Hi this is a beautiful quilt, i put it in my favorite places , so i can make it lol. :D Annette

  16. #16
    Super Member Flying_V_Goddess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,722
    Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    Wow!! That's cool! I'd do it with red, blue and green. :D Did you use that design CD to create that?
    Actually, I just used Paint to create the design onto the computer so I could show you guys. I wish I had a program like EQ6...making the design in Paint is not hard, but repeating blocks and coloring them in can be tedious.

  17. #17
    Norah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
    I wish I had a program like EQ6...
    Don't we all :!: :!: You do well with what you have.

  18. #18
    Super Member Flying_V_Goddess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    I love the quilt design. Do you design a lot of quilts? I must say, you've really got my creative juices flowing with this design. Amazing! Do you know what technique you'll use for the pattern? It seems to lends itself both to paper piecing and simple piecing techniques. I can picture it done in earthy colors, scrappy and with perhaps a light to dark effect across the top.

    If you draw a line through the larger black and pink shapes, they will turn into half square triangles. Have you sewn with half square and quarter square triangles before? If not, I can see where they might look a bit intimidating.
    ~Tiffany
    Lately I've been coming up with a ton of ideas for quilts. This is one of my better ones. Got the idea after seeing two blocks shown side by side on a book cover that was advertised in an old quilting magazine I got. Originally, it was a double pinwheel and a pinwheel in a square, but I changed the pinwheel in a square to a square in a square. The extra pinwheel made it too busy. Played around with the color a bit and came up with this design.

    Not sure about the technique for this pattern. I'm assuming just simple piecing techniques. I haven't done triangles period. Its not the sewing I'm terribly worried about...its the cutting. And obviously I've never done a double pinwheel or a square in a square (not sure if those are the technical names of the blocks, but you get what I mean).

    I think I'll do the colors that are shown (black, hot pink, white), but I might replace the hot pink with a purple. I'm not sure just yet. Either way, something that has a Goth/Punk color scheme.

  19. #19
    Junior Member OnTheGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    271
    For colors...........my vote is to leave the black and white and replace the pink with a dark red. The design is great!

  20. #20
    Super Member Tiffany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Idaho Falls
    Posts
    1,908
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheGo
    For colors...........my vote is to leave the black and white and replace the pink with a dark red. The design is great!
    Isn't it interesting how each of us views color differently. I have a couple friends who would think this was boring and would 'brighten' it up a bit. It's too bad we all don't have the time to sit down and create one of these. It would be interesting to see how many people came up with a different top and color ideas. Although I believe we'd need Flying_V_goddess' permission to reproduce this pattern. I'm not sure. I need to look into that whole area quite a bit more. Anyone out there know for certain how this would work?
    ~Tiffany

  21. #21
    Super Member Kyiav10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Williamsport Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,366
    Very nice. Looks like hard work. Too advanced for my skills. Can't wait to see it started.

    Kyia

  22. #22
    Super Member Flying_V_Goddess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheGo
    For colors...........my vote is to leave the black and white and replace the pink with a dark red. The design is great!
    Isn't it interesting how each of us views color differently. I have a couple friends who would think this was boring and would 'brighten' it up a bit. It's too bad we all don't have the time to sit down and create one of these. It would be interesting to see how many people came up with a different top and color ideas. Although I believe we'd need Flying_V_goddess' permission to reproduce this pattern. I'm not sure. I need to look into that whole area quite a bit more. Anyone out there know for certain how this would work?
    ~Tiffany
    Its basically just a double pinwheel block and a square in a square block. The color placement is what makes this particular design. And I don't mind if anyone reproduces it. :-)

  23. #23
    Super Member vicki reno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,272
    You are sooo smart. Until you said that, I never noticed the compnents. I have trouble thinking outside the box! But your desgn is so cool! It would be beautiful using Batiks as well.

  24. #24
    Super Member Tiffany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Idaho Falls
    Posts
    1,908
    Its basically just a double pinwheel block and a square in a square block. The color placement is what makes this particular design. And I don't mind if anyone reproduces it.
    Thanks!

    I think it would be striking done in Christmas fabrics. I wonder if I can get this to print out and make some black and white copies to mess with. I can color them and see which colors look best in what placement. And I just washed a bunch of Christmas fabric; looks like I could get an early start on Christmas. Well, after I finish all the projects that I've already got going. :roll: :P :lol:
    ~Tiffany

  25. #25
    Super Member Flying_V_Goddess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,722
    Quote Originally Posted by vicki reno
    You are sooo smart. Until you said that, I never noticed the compnents. I have trouble thinking outside the box! But your desgn is so cool! It would be beautiful using Batiks as well.
    Oooh! That idea sounds awesome! Maybe I'll try that out after I do it in solids.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.