Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New iron troubles >

New iron troubles

New iron troubles

Old 01-14-2024, 04:45 PM

Default New iron troubles

I believe I’m returning my new Black & Decker Elite iron. When I lift it, the fabric comes up with it then drops off. I know it sounds like static electricity but we have adequate humidity in the house and I’ve changed nothing except replaced my old iron. I have anti static spray ( I kept it in my office when I worked ) so I used it and fabric still clings. This is beyond annoying.
Old 01-14-2024, 07:15 PM

Okay.... Were you planning on asking us a question? What kind of irons do the rest of us use and like, perhaps?
Old 01-14-2024, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Okay.... Were you planning on asking us a question? What kind of irons do the rest of us use and like, perhaps?
I’m actually wondering if this happens to anyone else ? I learned to sew at Mother’s knee (60+ years ago) & owned all kinds of irons. I’m not concerned what iron I get, I just want this one gone if it’s going to give me grief. Maybe something to do with coating on sole plate ?
Old 01-14-2024, 09:03 PM

Buying new irons can be a problem. I go around picking them up and setting them down in the store. I don't like the idea of ordering online because I want to know how it feels in my hand and how heavy it is. Too light and it won't get the wrinkles out fast enough. Too heavy, well, haven't found that yet. I have 3 different irons in my sewing room - each one gets used from time to time. One thing I do - I have a used dryer sheet pinned to the ironing board and if my iron begins to stick any time I spray the used dryer sheet and run my hot iron over it and it cleans off any residue. (Many years ago I saved a bunch of the used sheets, because I quit using them in my dryer. But if I run out I am sure I can ask my daughter if she can save a couple for me. One sheet lasts weeks.)
Old 01-15-2024, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
I believe I’m returning my new Black & Decker Elite iron. When I lift it, the fabric comes up with it then drops off. I know it sounds like static electricity but we have adequate humidity in the house and I’ve changed nothing except replaced my old iron. I have anti static spray ( I kept it in my office when I worked ) so I used it and fabric still clings. This is beyond annoying.
Have you tried cleaning the sole plate? It is possible it is an iron someone returned, who used something on it or used fusibles with it. If not, perhaps the sole plate didn't get polished or have a smooth finish. Have you tried different fabric, or does it do it to all different fabric? I've had poly blend do this with static, but it doesn't do it with 100% cotton. If it isn't any of the above, then yes, I would return/exchange it.

For myself, I like irons with stainless steel sole plates and my large iron has stainless steel. I also have a small iron with a ceramic sole plate, that I use too. I don't have a problem with either one, but I only use 100% cotton fabric.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 01-15-2024 at 04:29 AM.
Old 01-15-2024, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

The iron I have is the Reliable Maven. Mine is about five year old and works great. It's the smaller of the steam generated irons I have all the steam I want, no drips or sputters no wetness anywhere. The water is not in the iron. Laura Star is a steam generated professional brand that is excellent.
Old 01-15-2024, 07:52 AM

I bought a couple CHI irons a number of years ago. One to keep on my pressing station, one to keep near my quilt frame to use when I needed to steam out excess fabric. It's around 25% humidity down here in my basement and I have no issues with static electricity which is surprising. Usually when I'm quilting, I'll fill my sink up with steaming hot water to add a bit of humidity so I don't get zapped plus I have a rubber mat going across the front of the frame plus rubber sole shoes and I have yet to get zapped. Don't know why but I'm happy just the same.
Old 03-18-2024, 07:31 AM

what was the outcome on your iron?
Old 03-19-2024, 07:38 AM

Went to Amazon to take a look at this iron. Found a navy and gold one with a tan soleplate. The description states the iron has a proprietary soleplate that is infused with a fabric softener to defend against wrinkles and static. Interesting.
Maybe the factory has got the wrong infusion going on?