Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Job??? >

New Job???

New Job???

Old 11-23-2014, 09:59 PM

My LAQ offers a binding service which I occasionally use because I have arthritis and just can't get my hands to work well enough to hand sew it on myself. She charges a set price based on the size of the quilt and she furnishes the thread. She also guarantees her work and gives a specific date by which the work will be completed.

Because I want to know exactly what the cost will be in advance of having the binding done, I would not agree to pay anyone based on an hourly rate . So, I guess what I'm saying is: Yes, I would use your service if your prices were fair, your work was on a professional level and you met the scheduled pick-up date.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
Interesting idea, and some good advice here. One thing no one mentioned, I think, is what about really out of whack quilts? If there is no reasonable way to make a quilt square, what do you do?
I had a couple that weren't square. All I did was inform the quilter that it was out of square and ask if she wanted me to square it up or leave it. Both times they said leave it. So I did. You can still bind and use a quilt that isn't square, it just won't be "show-worthy".
Old 11-23-2014, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Many long armers offer binding, the pricing is usually per inch. If you google 'quilt binding prices' you can get an idea of what others charge for this specific service. Keep in mind that prices may vary by geographic location.
If you do decide to proceed, make sure that you develop some sort of written work order: size of quilt, binding style (if applicable) color of thread estimated cost, estimated completion, who provided the binding fabric etc. When the quilt is dropped off, make 2 copies, keep one with the quilt & the other goes to the customer.
Many quilters do hate this step! It's worth at least investigating. You could get some brochures from local long arm quilters, and offer to work with the ones that don't offer this service.
PaperPrincess has some good advice. I can only add that you consider charging by the job rather than per hour. You can charge per inch or per foot. That's what I would do. I actually enjoy sewing binding by hand. Good luck
Old 11-24-2014, 05:38 AM

The only fair way would be by the inch. This way people would know up front how much it would cost and no one will resent you for being "too slow" (if you are slow). People can easily plan this way--no surprises for them.