Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to longarm quilting. >

New to longarm quilting.

New to longarm quilting.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:41 PM

The good thing with the bailey, it's a class 15 bobbin and bobbin case. I'd also suggest asking on the vintage section because many folks there have done a lot of work on class 15 machines, and may know what will cause it to get jammed up with thread underneath.

BTW-both my husband and I think the bobbin case does not look correct. It appears to be going too far back and not hooking into the slot like it should. My husband thinks that looks like a Bernina case.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:12 PM

Macybaby I was starting to think that it is not right either. I have tried everything else. May just have to order me a new bobbin assembly fom Baileys.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mortishax5 View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]593459[/ATTACH]This what it looks like underneath when it jams. I have to take the whole bobbin casing out to unjam it. I have tightened my quilt to where it sounds like a drum and i have had it loose to where i can push up with my finger and grab my finger.
ok--question--what is that white thing in the back of the bobbin? It almost looks like a piece of fabric stuck back there. I'd take off the needle plate above and look to see what that is and make sure nothing is stuck and binding up the bobbin race.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
The good thing with the bailey, it's a class 15 bobbin and bobbin case. I'd also suggest asking on the vintage section because many folks there have done a lot of work on class 15 machines, and may know what will cause it to get jammed up with thread underneath.

BTW-both my husband and I think the bobbin case does not look correct. It appears to be going too far back and not hooking into the slot like it should. My husband thinks that looks like a Bernina case.
[QUOTE=quiltingshorttimer;8046182]ok--question--what is that white thing in the back of the bobbin? It almost looks like a piece of fabric stuck back there. I'd take off the needle plate above and look to see what that is and make sure nothing is stuck and binding up the bobbin race.[/QUOT

No it is not fabric it is because i have the back cover of the gears in the back of the bobbin.wanted to check the gears on it too.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:16 PM
Power Poster

I am highly suspicious of the thread, since it came from the original owner who was never able to get the hang of using the machine (perhaps because she encountered the same jamming problem?). I would also highly recommend using a good quality thread net on the cone. A thread net helps the thread feed evenly to the machine. Superior Threads has the best quality thread nets, better than others I have purchased.

Can you have someone else quilt while you watch the thread? Or set up a video camera while you quilt so you can review how the thread feeds. You may be able to see something that happens right before the machine jams.

Assuming the bobbin assembly is correct, and that you are using at least a size 90/14 needle of the correct type, the prime suspect is the thread and how it feeds through the upper part of the machine -- from the cone to the needle.

I found the Yahoo group for Bailey:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...gmachines/info
Old 04-24-2018, 03:16 AM

Yes i will try that. I did order new bobbin race and case from Baileys. I will get a thread net also. Thank you.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:17 AM

I have both a 15" Bailey, and a 13" Bailey, and love tbem. There is a very active Bailey fb group if you need help quickly. The first thing l suggest is to remove the tiny " o" ring on the takeup lever. ( that is there to keep thread from popping out...but often catches thread) lnstead, l thread the takeup lever left to right ( yes, backwards!) This means you may need to loosen top tension a very tiny bit.
Most new owners of these machines forget to put down the presser foot and run into problems that way. Others find that thicker cotton thread's the culprit. If you've already tried new needle, oiling gears behind bobbin race, and checking thread path, then l suspect the quilt's too high off the machine's bed. Try lowering the bars so the quilt just skims the bed...and not tight as a drum either.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:23 AM

Thanks i will try those too. I have emailed Baileys because sometimes they do not answer. I have had to replace one of the sensors. So i ordered new bobbin case and race also. Just to be sure.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:22 AM

My Bailey worked very well with Connecting Threads cotton thread. Which was good because it's very affordable. I bought a large selection of colors, mostly 2 spools of each.

Then I went to HQ and my Fusion does not like it at all!
Old 04-24-2018, 05:25 AM

I have the Bailey and he's rather temperamental. My machine is very particular about thread. He loves Connecting Threads 100% cotton and Aurafil, does OK on Superior Thread cotton, but hates any polyester thread, even the Perma-Core cones used by many longarmers. I am on the Facebook group and there are lots of experienced Bailey owners on that group. The Yahoo group is pretty much dead at present since so many switched to FB.

For the first two years I owned the machine I had Chuck Bailey on fast dial. 1-888-333-1938. I didn't think I'd ever get the hang of the machine, but I finally have. The only thing I really have problems with now are batiks. I had some problem with the needle getting stuck in the down position and finally figured out I was trying to move too fast. The Bailey is a rather slow machine and doesn't like to be hurried. For that reason I now pretty much only use pantographs as following the line keeps me from stitching too fast.

As Macybaby suggests -- use a tight quilt sandwich. I use the O rings on the take-up lever that came with the machine. I tried the trick of threading it from L-R and it didn't work for me as the thread kept breaking. My favourite needles are Superior titanium topstitch in both the 14 and 16. Second favourite is Organ titanium. BTW, if Chuck hasn't mailed your order yet get the needles from him. He includes a set of Organ titanium 16 with new machines.

One other thing. If you still have the back cover off, remove the needle, put some cloth under the machine (to catch oil) and oil the dickens out of the shaft in the back. Oil, let the machine run 5 - 10 minutes, oil some more, let machine run. Do this three or four times. According to Chuck, this shaft and gear assembly dries out quickly.

Do come over to the Facebook group as you'll get responses within minutes.

Last edited by Belfrybat; 04-24-2018 at 05:33 AM.