Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New LQS >

New LQS

New LQS

Old 09-07-2020, 09:41 AM

Default New LQS

Yesterday I went to the Grand Opening of a new LQS about 20 miles from home. I was impressed with what they had to offer for a new business and their willingness to help my sister with a fabric they did not have in store but were willing to order for her. She also said depending on demand she would be willing to make available LA machine to rent by the hour. I hope this comes about. For me 20 miles is a long trip since I rarely go that distance from home anymore. How far do you drive to be able to go to a LQS. I understand there is another one in the other direction that is about the same distance. I am curious on just how far you are willing to drice to a LQS. I had a wonderful morning and I couldn't sleep thinking about all the fun I had. I didn't buy a piece of fabric, though I was tempted. I did buy some rulers for ruler quilting that I want t o learn how to do.. It was a lot of fun.

Old 09-07-2020, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

If LQS had more affordable fabric 20 miles would not be too far for me.

WalMart and Hobby Lobby is about that far from where I am so I go there. Their fabric is more affordable for me.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:03 PM

I live in the country and any store is at least 10 miles away--18 for either Walmart or closest LQS. I drive 40 miles to doctor, so going 20 miles for fabric is a-ok.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:54 PM

I did the conversion from Km and the closest quilt shops in my rural area are 21m and 26m. However my favorite shop is 46m and that is where I go most often. I was going about once a month except winter when the driving can be a bit dodgy. Participating in the fabric moratorium this year and have only visited twice.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:31 PM

Local Quilt Shop? I would love to have one of those. We had a Beverly's about 40 miles away, but that closed about a year ago. Our closest Walmart is over an hour's drive away and their shelves are all empty. To wander through a fabric shop, just to touch the fabrics would be heaven for me. I'd drive 20 miles in a heartbeat just to smell the scent of new fabrics.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:35 PM

You said "I had a wonderful morning and I couldn't sleep thinking about all the fun I had." IMO that kind of reaction plus your other positive comments are worth a 20 mile drive. Support the new business and do something you enjoy; it's a win-win.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:44 PM

The closet LQS to me are 18, 20, 23, 29, and 30 miles away - all about a 35 minute drive. So that's how far I travel. I have a huge fabric warehouse about 24 miles away. All quilting fabrics there are "half price," usually $6 to $6.50 per yard. There's a lot of less expensive fabric, but there are also Andover, Michael Miller, Timeless Treasures, etc., fabrics. You just have to search for them. About a year ago, one of my LQS closed. Efforts are being made to turn it into a co-op, and I think they will be opening again soon. Members will get a 10% discount. I have a Jo-Ann Fabrics and Hobby Lobby about 8 miles away, but I don't shop there.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:08 AM

I would drive 20 and think nothing of it. I am impressed that someone is opening one at this time, I wish them all the best. Hopefully this mask making has inspired others to take up the hobby. I would love to see a resurgence of quilters when out Guild opens up again. Happy sewing.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:10 AM

There is a LQS in my town but it is such fun to visit any quilt shop. My friends and I do a day trip to several that are about 100 miles or less away. Any further requires an overnight. It is my only form of recreation anymore. Lol.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:00 AM

I have a LQS in the town that I live but I only go there when I really need something. Not too much fabric to my liking. I live in a rural area and it is quite a trip to get to any quilt shop but it is worth it. My hubby and I will take a day and drive to a bigger town with a couple of quilt shops that I like and we have lunch and shop. It is about 1 1/2 hours away so we only go about twice a year. I probably wouldn't do the trip by myself but if a friend or hubby goes with me it is ok