Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New machine suggestions/advice?

I had bought a top of the line bells and whistle quilting sewing machine. Nothing but tension woes quilting. After a year and a half repair adjustments, sold it and use a trio of Singer 301s for the best free motion quilting and piecing. I will take this over needle down, etc. All metal gear driven, flawless stitching. I run from plastic.

A big questiuon to ask yourself is how often will you yse the fancy stitches?. personally I do not use any stitch but straight, zigzag , hemming stitch so I use my Brothers for the straight and my Singer singer for the other 2. If you issue is lighting then you can buy clip on lights that will probable give you better lightging than the machine . also if you are looking for an extension then check out this homemade extension on u-tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14govA4pIM, My husband made this for my machine for about $30 and it is great. It really give you more room than an extension would. Aslo he took a table and cut down the lages so the height of the machine is good for me.
    "In the crazy quilt of life, I'm glad you are in my block of friends."

I bought a Singer Quantum 9960 that is in your price range. It has needle position, needle down, thread cutter, various stitches and feet. Once I decided on the machine to get, I started searching the entire internet for the best deal and Amazon.com had the cheapest price. I'm happy with the machine and happy with Amazon, so there are a couple more suggestions for you. Have fun shopping!

If you've been looking at Walmart, the Brothers they have are a pretty good buy. I understand their Brother Project Runway machines are very good. I have the SQ9000 to take to classes or on trips because my Bernina is too expensive and too heavy for me. The throat space is not all that great but many quilters do well with it.

Sewing Machines are like buying a car. A huge investment that needs to last and be reliable for a long time. You know what you are looking for so find some shops and try the machines out. Take a small project with you so you can really get the feel of the machine. Right now if I had the money I would get a Bernina. They tend to hold their value better there is lots of education available for them and the Hands free sewing is a really great feature as well as the BSR (Bernina stitch regulator) for free motion sewing. Sometimes you can get a better machine by buying a trade in as well. So start test driving and see what fits you best.

Blog Entries
    Welcome, from Michigan.
    I Love my Janome machine.
    Happy shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
    Hello and welcome. My sewing machine dealer in Houston has started selling used machines, with a decent warranty online. Maybe there's a dealer near you who does the same. BTW, you can never go wrong with a Janome. I love all mine
    I've never met a Janome I didn't like. I bought the 4000 12 or 15 yrs ago & my 6600 4yrs ago. My sister has 3 the gold, platinum, & her latest for around $500 that she just loves!

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Only suggestions I can give you are:
    Check pawn shops, 2nd hand stores (as I found an Old singer w/cabinet for 20.00-may have to have some repairs done).
    Go to your local sewing machine store and see what they have, a used machine
    AND least of all try them out before you buy it .. Most places will let you ..
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Frozenmama,
    They don't make a simple machine with just straight and zig zag stitches any more. I have Singer 237 that only has 2 stitches, course its almost 50 years old now and heavy. Most sewists don't use more than a few of the decorative stitches that are standard with their machines.
    To get anywhere close to the machine you're describing, the Husqvarna Viking 118 is the only one I can think of; don't know if its still made. The 118 is mechanical, has needle up/down,adjustable needle position, 18 stitches.
    I used to sell new HV machines, its a great machine.

Power Poster
    I've had several machines over the years, starting out with a Stradivaro machine, then a Kenmore, then a Singer, but have had my Janome for several years now and it has served me well. I do have a back-up Brother machine that was a freebee and is my back-up when the Janome goes in for a check-up. At one time I had 7 machines, 2 of which were in cabinets, although I'm down to 2 now, well actually 3, but the Kenmore needs to have a hospital visit, but it was free. I love my Janome, but before that my Kenmore was my work horse machine until I burned the motor out. Seriously LOL. My advice, try out several machines to determine the best fit for you and what you plan to use it for.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the board! I'm sure you will love it?

Blog Entries
    Stay away from Walmart cheapies. Everyone I know has had to return. Singer is not up to what it used to be. Brother is supposed to be good but should be purchased from a dealer or checked out at a dealer and bought online. i have a little brother for taking to classes but would not recommend it for anything else. It is great and cheap.

i have viking designer 1, and a viking 1+ (old) and a disney brother, i love my brother best of all

Blog Entries

Red face Purchasing a Sewing Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenmama View Post
    I'm pretty new to this board, but am loving all that I'm learning from reading through the posts. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to share. I have been sewing for 28 years, quilting for the last 10 or so. (For some reason, I'm not able to "enter" down to a new paragraph - sorry if this looks like a giant run on!) I was given a great Kenmore 17 years ago, which has served me very well. I've never had one problem with the machine, sews like a dream and can handle everything I've thrown at it. BUT - I'd like to upgrade! I'd like a machine that has better lighting than the one I currently own, and I'd also like a machine that I can adjust the needle position. As well, I'd like the addition of a quilters extension attachment. I don't need much more than a straight stitch & a zigzag - so a machine with a million stitch functions is wasted on me. I'd also like to stay under $400 - that's about all I can afford right now. Where I live, there is no local sewing shop that carries machines, but I've been looking on line. Costco, Walmart, etc. I'm a little overwhelmed by all the different brands, ones that I thought were good, I'm reading reviews saying the machines are actually not good after all. Any suggestions?
    Welcome Ontario !

I have purchased machines online from Sew Vac Direct with great success. Their knowledgeable staff have always been able to match my requirements to a great machine and keep it within my budget.

I am a fan of Janome and Juki products but it is very important to consider the throat width of the machine - the wider the better for quilting !

I suggest contacting this company to see what machine they would recommend to suit your needs and budget.

Cheers,

Kathie
    Kathie
    Nova Scotia
    Canada

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2