Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Machine >

New Machine

New Machine

Old 07-14-2012, 10:21 AM

Default New Machine

I have been hinting to my husband that I will want a new sewing machine soon. There is only 1 thing that I really really want in this new one. (My current machine was about $150.00 from Walmart - Brother Project Runway Eddition) I want the auto cutting thing that cuts the thread for you. I have not done any research on machines yet and I am sure I will be quite overwhelmed. . . .I also have a budget of as little $ as possible I can't spend $1000.00 on my sewing machine.

Any suggestions? I thought I would start here - since you all know so much!!!

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2012, 10:51 AM

Maybe a babylock quest plus used would be a good machine, I saw onesold for 600 the other day. You can go to your dealer and see what gentle used machines they have. Thats the best way to get a good machine for under 1000. most high ends run around 1000-1200 new unless you want a simple straight stitch machine or a machine that has about the same features as your walmart machine but more durable in how its built would be in the 400-500 range like a brother pq1500s or a babylock elizabeth, audrey, or brother has a nice project runway machine about 500 that gets good reviews. Also the juki f600 gets great reviews and it runs around 800, that would be a good one to look at
Old 07-14-2012, 10:58 AM

Why not kill two birds with one stone if you can. I bought the PQ 1500 from All Brands for 599.00 which included shipping and no tax. It does have an auto thread cutter, pretty basic machine. No fancy stitches, just a straight stitch but has a 9" throat. It is used for piecing and quilting. Thats why I bought it. I needed more room for the quilting. I do still use my other machine for piecing too but the 1500 can be used for both.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:08 PM
Power Poster

I have the Brother PQ 1500 and it has auto cutter, needle up or down, knee pressure foot lifter and needle threader. Is metal, easy to take the housing off and clean/oil. Super easy to troubleshoot. Free motion quilting is easy to do. It has only straight stitch. It's made to last. If your older Brother has the decorative stitches then the Brother 1500 is a great choice. Juki straight stitch is excellent too. They look identical.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

I have a Baby Lock Jane and Juki TL98 QE. My Daughter has the Brother PQ 1500. All are great machines 600.00 to 850.00.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:23 PM

I have a Janome 3160QDC which includes the cutter. It's lightweight enough to take to class but it's a full size machine with nice features.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
I have a Janome 3160QDC which includes the cutter. It's lightweight enough to take to class but it's a full size machine with nice features.

I have one of these machines too and boy is it a workhorse!