Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New machine--upright spool holder >

New machine--upright spool holder

New machine--upright spool holder

Old 07-22-2010, 07:32 PM

You should cut threat above by the spool and pull through towards the needle to prevent pulling lint back up into the tension disks. I've always been told to do this ever since I owned my first sewing machine which was a total mechanical. I don't know why it would be just a computerized issue.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
You should cut threat above by the spool and pull through towards the needle to prevent pulling lint back up into the tension disks. I've always been told to do this ever since I owned my first sewing machine which was a total mechanical. I don't know why it would be just a computerized issue.
You may be right. I may have misunderstood what the instructor said. But it's still a hard habit to break :cry:
Old 07-22-2010, 08:31 PM

Tell yourself you are "flossing" its teeth. It is good machine "hygene".
Old 07-22-2010, 08:37 PM

I bought one at my LQS. It is heavy and works perfectly! I think that anything will work as long as the holder is heavy enough to stay put.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Power Poster

Yea I've seen a turorial on it recently I believe on this board either in a discussion or someone sharing the link with us.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jackie R
Let us know what kind of machine you bought that has all the different stitches you wanted.

I would like to have a new machine one of these days and thought I would get one that also did embroidery, if I it wasn't too costly. But one with many decorative stitches would be OK.

Thanks.
I got a Brothers XR9000 120-stitch Function Computerized Sewing Machine w/ Alphabet Font. I got it off of Overstock.com for $150. I had been looking, like you, for a less expensive machine with decorative stitiches I could use for machine applique and machine quilting (with walking foot). This sells for $300 new and the machine I bought was refurbished. It's absolutely wonderful and just what I wanted. I really don't want a computerized embroidery machine, just the decorative stitches.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:05 AM

I have 2 that I got at a sewing machine dealer (Atlanta Sewing Center). They're cast iron & heavy so they don't fall over. $10 each. The ones at Joanne's are plastic & about $7-I have one, don't waste your money. You could probably find them online
Old 07-23-2010, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by pieces
I've always sewn with my thread in the upright postion and never had a problem. Even my multithread holder for my machine embroider is upright. I didn't know there was thread made to be used only in the horizontal position. (?)
If the thread is cross wound onto the spool, it's meant to come off the end. If it is stacked wound, doesn't cross over itself, it's meant to come off the side of the spool. Most of the time it's not critical if it comes off the side. The only threads I know of that it's critical to use them either horizontal or vertical are metalics and invisibles.
WOW! Things you never think of! I have to take a closer look at my thread and try to process this. My old Pfaff only fed the thread from a horizontal position - the new one has the option for both. NOW I know why! (I think???) Thanks so much - I DO love this Board!
Old 07-23-2010, 09:59 AM

I use a Christmas ornament holder - the ones that stand up and have the little hook at the end. Mine has a star shape. Since the cones of thread already stand alone, there isn't any need for a spindle to hold it. It was $2 and works just fine!
Old 07-23-2010, 10:00 AM

Up North, very creative. I got mine at Joannes.