Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: a new (to me ) spray starch trick

Super Member Chigger Holler Quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was reading somewhere (on the board, I'm sure) about hints for using spray starch. I'm not a new quilter ....goes to show that we can always be learning!
    * run your iron over the fabric BEFORE you spray the starch; spray and then press as usual! It worked for me...even better results than normal.
    Thanks to who ever posted the technique the first time around! :)

cjk
    I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.

Makes sense. I'll do that in future. Thanks!

klc
    I've been doing that and didn't even know I was suppose to!

I suggest using sizing instead of starch. Starch is made from corn and the silverfish just LOOOOOVE it.

This is new to me too! Thank you for sharing!

Blog Entries
    My grandmother always did that and that is the way she taught me to starch after she started using spray starch! after she got a clothes dryer! Before that she dipped the clothes in starch water after the rinse and let dry, then sprinkle with water, put in fridge over night and then iron the next day. Whew! This was done every Monday and Tuesday. Our clothes were were so fresh and crisp. Kids clothes were heavily starched to keep the dirt from sinking in.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it next time.

Thank you for the tip! Will try it next time.

Blog Entries
    Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    My grandmother always did that and that is the way she taught me to starch after she started using spray starch! after she got a clothes dryer! Before that she dipped the clothes in starch water after the rinse and let dry, then sprinkle with water, put in fridge over night and then iron the next day. Whew! This was done every Monday and Tuesday. Our clothes were were so fresh and crisp. Kids clothes were heavily starched to keep the dirt from sinking in.
    When I was growing up thats what we did too, no spray starch around. We had a big bowl of AREO, help me out someone, don't know if that was the name of the starch, but anyway, it took time, and we saved up clothes until we had enough to do a big bag of clothes, put it in the refrig over nite, ironed most of the next day.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Thanks for the great tip! I didn't even USE starch until I heard it here- makes life so much easier :)
    I know it costs more but Mary Ellen's Best Press is so worth the money!! Another poster said you can even dilute it and it still works great- haven't tried that one yet.
    No residue with MEBP!!

what do you use as sizeing

New to me too! Thank you, I'll try it.

Quote Originally Posted by jmabby
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    When I was growing up thats what we did too, no spray starch around. We had a big bowl of AREO, help me out someone, don't know if that was the name of the starch, but anyway, it took time, and we saved up clothes until we had enough to do a big bag of clothes, put it in the refrig over nite, ironed most of the next day.
    The correct spelling was ARGO and later I used NIAGARA to starch clothing. I loved ironing my DD;s little dresses and our own clothes, everything was smooth and neat as a pin. If we saw a wrinkled shirt or blouse, we said it looked like it just came out of the washbasket. TSK TSK! Smooth was in.
    My DMI made her own starch with cornstarch dissolved in water. Would be like the sizing recipe I took off of this forum two weeks ago. Still have to make some. In case you missed it, here it is:
    12 oz water 3/4 TBS cornstarch 3 drops of lavender oil

Carol J.

Thanks for the tip.

Well, I'll be!!! I didn't believe it could make a difference, so I experimented with a large piece of very wrinkled fabric. I ironed half of it, sprayed both, then ironed. The pre-ironed side looks a LOT better and has absolutely no signs of wrinkles!!! Thanks for the info!!!

Quote Originally Posted by momcpo
    I suggest using sizing instead of starch. Starch is made from corn and the silverfish just LOOOOOVE it.
    I found the same thing happening with wallpaper!!! I didn't know why but 3 houses that I "flipped" had wallpaper and they're the only houses with silverfish. In one, there were hundreds of the icky bugs behind the wallpaper!!!!

Blog Entries
    something new to me also. will give it a try.

Banned
    Thanks!!

HINT: Spray starch lays on top of the fabric -- Spray Sizing actually soaks through the fabic so in my opinion, the sizing works better at "wetting" the fabric and it gives a nice finish without the top layer of stiffness.

It works for me too... One good product to try is that better spray,,, Dang can't remember the name of it , but it doesn't get residue on your iron. Another tip I saw on one of the quilting shows is to let the starch or sizing dry into the fabric and it won't get the residue on the sole plate. Tried it and it worked. Have a great day every one. Huggies, Fay

Super Member Chigger Holler Quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the caution about the Starch! Have plenty of bugs here without encouraging them. LOL....I'm sure that warming your fabric with iron before spaying on the sizing will work equally as well! :)

My grandmother use to sugar starch her dollies and lay them with edges placed over glasses to dry they made beautiful large ruffles.

These comments do bring back memories. Argo,sugar starch. have anyone heard of flour starch? It was used when we did not have Argo. Yes Monday was wash day, Tuesday Iron. Our were put in the ice box after they were sprinkle and wrap in plastic. If dad had "cat face"(wrinkle) we had to resprinkle and re iron. Was those the "good old days?

Yes, this was a walk down memory lane. I still like to iron. I mixed up the cornstarch sizing yesterday and used it on some quilt squares that I had to cut smaller for a project, worked slick and will use it often. Will have to try it on linen.

The "good old days" when we took pride in our housework and the appearance of our family in public. More thought was given to our family's well being and raising the children to be useful and caring people, just like we cared about our homes, quilts and helping others as we do on this forum.

Carol J.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast