Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Projects for 2013??

Lightbulb New Projects for 2013??

How many of you are planning new projects for the New Year? I found 2 BOM's online from last year (Shabby Cabins and Lecien Vintage Tiles) that I saved and printed to do this year for variety each month. I think I'll have 3 applique projects and two or 3 pieced ones: One for my DSIL- he pouted at Christmas when he didn't get one and an Americana (Canadiana). I might even tackle Jinny Beyer's basket quilt BOM from her 2012 newsletters.
    I like variety and am not interested in quick and easy, but every so often I do tend to get focused on one to the exclusion of everything else.
    "An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." Edwin Land

Blessings! Ruth

Blog Entries
    I bought some patterns from Quiltworx, so I will start with this one http://www.quiltworx.com/patterns/sea-urchins/ and I am still working on my Affairs of the Heart needle turn applique quilt, I have now done 22 blocks out of the 36 in the quilt. If I can get both of these finished before the end of this year I will be really happy. I might just have to throw in a quick and easy project somewhere just for fun.
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

I have several requests to make as soon as I finish the binding on one quilt from last year and finish the top on another that I'm loving!
    The List:
    DGD (age 7) wants a butterfly and armadillo quilt for her bed (This should be interesting!)
    2 different 'star' quilts - one in blue and yellow and the other in cream and white
    a horny toad quilt (another interesting exercise lol)
    A carpentars star
    i have a celtic design pattern but for the life of me can't remember the name at the moment
    and my take on a sampler quilt (just started this one a week ago)
    another OBW

I'm thinking this will get me thru late summer...

Just finished by DGD birthday T-shirt quilt - next project is a dragonfly applique quilt for my cousin - my Mom sent me a quilt my Gram made in the 40's that needs patched - my aunt sent me a another quilt top only my Gram made in the 30s that she found in a cedar chest and asked me to quilt it. Already been looking at patterns for next Christmas...but haven't settled on anything yet. Next tho is a crocheted blanket for my other DGD's birthday in February. Figure that's enough to keep me out of trouble for the next little while.
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    I bought some patterns from Quiltworx, so I will start with this one http://www.quiltworx.com/patterns/sea-urchins/ and I am still working on my Affairs of the Heart needle turn applique quilt, I have now done 22 blocks out of the 36 in the quilt. If I can get both of these finished before the end of this year I will be really happy. I might just have to throw in a quick and easy project somewhere just for fun.
    That is pretty! I am working on block 8 of Affairs of the Heart - needle turn too!

Blessings! Ruth

Woody, that quilt is beautiful. Affairs of the Heart is my next quilt to make. I have never done appliqué, except for machine appliqué, so wish me luck.
    Sue

I am continuing work on 4 different paper pieced scrap quilts. I do a couple of each block everyday, get bored doing same one over and over. Then I just started a wedding quilt for youngest son getting married in April. After that, I don't know.
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

Lots of ideas but right now I'm focused on finishing UFOs. Wish me luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ontheriver View Post
    I am continuing work on 4 different paper pieced scrap quilts. I do a couple of each block everyday, get bored doing same one over and over. Then I just started a wedding quilt for youngest son getting married in April. After that, I don't know.
    I like the idea of a paper pieced quilt I just haven't decided which one to do, Judy Niemeyer's patterns are all so beautiful.

Blessings! Ruth

Blog Entries
    Do you mean completely new or new from the list of ideas that has been growing for a few years? In my case, I'll probably do both. Not sure what yet. Right now I have 7 projects hanging over the banister that need attention. One needs binding. One is pinned and ready to be quilted, the rest are tops. That'll keep me in stitches for a while.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

I am starting a double wedding ring, want to make a couple of Easter wallhangings, and then do a storm at Sea. I am sure I will also do some kind of applique quilt too since I love the look of applique.

I'm starting off the year with a bargello for my DS
    and DDIL using material from the reception table runners. Then a purse for same DDIL, a string block quilt for us, a slash & stitch for DGS' s mom and a tablerunner for nieces' new house. oh yes and a braided with curves wall hanging called "snake in the grass". That should keep me busy for a while.

First, I'm finishing 4 UFOs, one lap quilt that was supposed to be for Christmas and 3 small ones from classes I took last fall. When they are done, I'm making a quilt for me using screen printed fabrics of pictures/post cards from Yosemite. This will be a memory quilt about my trip to CA last fall for BBF's 70th birthday and our five days camping in Yosemite. Then I'll see what I want to do; I have many, many PIGS with fabric bought, patterns decided upon. All I need is time

I am working on handquilting one for ME!! Finally! THen over the next year, I have 5 more grandchildren to make a quilt for ( got 9 done this past year) I have a graduation gift quilt to make, and begin on quilts for each of my 9 children. SO>>>will be very busy health permitting!

I have a couple, I am determined to do a wholecloth just a cot size one to start with plus a sampler applique one, both will be done by hand (my favourite method) but first I must finish quilting 2 others which are for birthdays later in the year, as I do all my quilting by hand progress is slow!!!!

Blog Entries
    I go to quilt class where I will be taking a new pattern to do just there, 'hunter's star'. Not sure how big this quilt will be because I am making it with just 2 fabrics and one was purchased waiting for the right pattern.
    At home I am doing applique at night and any sewing I feel like during the day as well as knitting. I am waiting for a baby bear quilt pattern to make for a baby due in February, followed by a frog quilt for an April baby.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Woody, that is a beautiful quilt you are making, the Sea Urchins. Let us see how it is going later.

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

I have about three new projects planned in my head that I want to do so far this year. My 5 yr. old Grandson will be going to preschool starting next week so that means I'll have the FREE time to do these!! I watch him and it is impossible to get serious about quilting etc. in my studio when he is with me. So God willing once he starts preschool to prepare him for Kindergarten I can get busy sewing again.

Two of the projects are paper pieced quilts and one is a scrap quilt using all the left over civil war repro fabrics from my Dear Jane quilt.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I have bought fabric for 2 of Debbie Maddy's quilts: 1) Carpenter's Star and 2) Ashley. I've also got some other projects with the fabric bought and organized for quilts. I'm going to finish some UFOs first.

We actually have a couple binders with patterns we've pulled from magazines. We decide who we need to make a quilt for and look through the books to pick one that fits.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngrl View Post
    I like the idea of a paper pieced quilt I just haven't decided which one to do, Judy Niemeyer's patterns are all so beautiful.
    One of the ones in progress is a Judy Niemeyer called Rain Drops. I am changing the layout a little. Another is a string x and I am putting little flowers out of hexies where the blocks join. here are photos of my progress.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

Love your bright colors, I looked at the website last night and just can't make up my mind. I just sit and drool on my keyboard

Blessings! Ruth

I am going completely out of my comfort zone and decided to purchase Tula Pink's new "Hex on the Beach" quilt kit - it has over 1000 hexagons (pre-cut) and the hexagon papers for english paper piecing - never thought I would try that but I am excited to learn something new - I think it will be nice to have a travel project or watching the tv at night project - hopefully I will finish in 2013 also.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 0tis View Post
    I am going completely out of my comfort zone and decided to purchase Tula Pink's new "Hex on the Beach" quilt kit - it has over 1000 hexagons (pre-cut) and the hexagon papers for english paper piecing - never thought I would try that but I am excited to learn something new - I think it will be nice to have a travel project or watching the tv at night project - hopefully I will finish in 2013 also.
    I love having a hand sewing project going, it is amazing how much you can get done in just those 15 or 20 minutes here and there. This sounds like a great project.

Ontheriver, I love your quilts, the colours are fantstic
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

My main focus right now is working on my daughter's wedding dress. We have everything we need now to start it, just the fitting of the pattern is next. The pattern is 4 sizes too small. Sigh. Its a vintage pattern and its the only size we could find. So, first I have to enlarge the pattern, make a sample dress, get all the fitting right, and then start on the real one. I have until April, so I should be good, as long as everything goes smooth after the sample dress. Wish me luck : )

Once I get done with that. Oh my I have a list a mile long for next year's Christmas presents. So I am going to be very busy.
    Amythyst

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast