Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: new quilt room need ideas

Hi everyone! I am moving and in my new place, my quilt room will be about 20x12. I would love all the input I can get to design this room. I have a tin lizzy and 2 machines that will need to go in here plus iron stand and I have a cutting table. Any ideas are much appreicated! Thanks so much!

I found putting my cutting/office table skinny end to middle wall , I'm able to use both sides !! Hope that helps and you can do this ! Enjoy!

Definitely arrange so you can get to both sides of the cutting and ironing surface. Mine aren't in the middle of my room but about 3 feet from the corner. Shelves are a must and you can add more as you go along. I know you will get lots of hints and end up with an ideal sewing room.

Check out the Virtual Topics section. There's one going for sewing rooms and organizational ideas. Last time I looked through it, there were lots of pictures too. Very inspirational. Good luck and have fun with your new space!

Thank you so much for the info. :) The other thing is to carpet or not....What are you thoughts?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Red
    Thank you so much for the info. :) The other thing is to carpet or not....What are you thoughts?
    I say no to carpet. I have a laminate floor; easy to find pins when they drop, easy to sweep with a swiffer duster. You can use rubber mats where you will be standing. You need lots of storage. Here is a pic of my basement sewing studio with the storage and cutting tables.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    All I can say is, "I am soooooo jealous!!"

BMP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tjradj
    Me Too !!!!!

Blog Entries
    I'm just plain jealous! :-D

Your studio is just too wonderful for words. So spacious and so neat! Makes me want to knock down a wall and enlarge my little sewing area. My room is about 9 x 10 and it is so packed full you wouldn't believe. Went to Joann's today and found batting 50% off. Came home with nothing. No space to put anything. Does anybody know what an empty feeling that is?

Quote Originally Posted by 3flowers
    Your studio is just too wonderful for words. So spacious and so neat! Makes me want to knock down a wall and enlarge my little sewing area. My room is about 9 x 10 and it is so packed full you wouldn't believe. Went to Joann's today and found batting 50% off. Came home with nothing. No space to put anything. Does anybody know what an empty feeling that is?
    Hey, I put my bed up on risers to be able to store the long bolts [?] batting somewhere in my home.

ali

What a great idea. I need to spread stuff out a little. Batting would be good under the bed.

RST
    Blog Entries
    I love having a design wall in my sewing area. I find it really helps me as I plan a quilt. If you have the wall space, definitely add one. The bigger the better. Mine is 8 feet square, and I sometimes even wish it was a little bigger than that.

I also find a large cutting surface to be very helpful. Most tables are too low for me, and I end up with an aching back. My cutting table is a hollow core door placed on top of a day bed from Ikea -- it happens to be the perfect height for me. And since my sewing area doubles as a guest room on occasion, it's a good use of space for the dual purposes of the room.

What else -- lighting. REally good light can make your space so much more enjoyable to work in. Definitely an area I need to improve in mine.

RST

go to search on this site and put in sewing rooms. Lots of pictures and ideas. I tell everyone that cause I go a few ideas for myself there

Go to Wal Mart a get a set of bed risers for around $7 and put under the legs of your cutting table to bring it up to a more comfortabe height for working.

I love the sewing room ideas that everyone contributed - Can't wait to see your pics -

Blog Entries
    my wallet would be doing the happy dance.

I am oh sooo jealous! Wouldn't know how to act in that wonderful room. My is like a postage stamp compared to yours.

Hi everyone! I am moving and in my new place, my quilt room will be about 20x12. I would love all the input I can get to design this room. I have a tin lizzy and 2 machines that will need to go in here plus iron stand and I have a cutting table. Any ideas are much appreicated! Thanks so much!
    We are building a house and it's getting close to being done except for trimwork and my quilting studio. (Go figure! Apparently the kitchen and bathroom ranks higher!) I have a 20x18ish space that I've done massive amounts of planning for. It's drywalled and ready to have the 14x4ft closet shelves installed. I want 12inch deep shelves for fabric. I've measured my folded FQ's to get that size. Some shelves will be deeper for larger amount's of fabric. Bolts of batting will be at the end of the closet. The shelves will start above the multiple rolling carts with drawers. My design wall(s) will be on the big sliding closet doors. I've planned a space for sewing, cutting table, (make sure your's is the correct height), ironing tabletop, (table for storage with a padded top for ironing), bookshelves for quilting books and a comfy chair. The LA (A1 machine) has it's own space with shelves for design books, thread, dry erase board, and bobbin winder. Have LOTS of good light and a smooth floor, great for rolling chairs and easy clean up. Hope this isn't too long and you get some ideas from this. Make the space work for you and your needs. I'll post a pic when the room is done.

Here's a link to my room:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-59928-1.htm

My favorite part is organizing a room!

I went to IKEA and got pieces in the Expedit line. One wall is completely open squares for storage - fabric, the sewing machine fits in one, they have containers that fit in the individual holes. Got the desk attachment - large enough for machine and lots of fabric. Took 2 of the four x four shelve units - put them together back to back. Mounted them on a 4x4 square with casters. This elevated the movable island to a counter height unit. On top of this unit I mounted a square of thin plywood on which I applied (with contact cement) a large cutting mat. I have never had a better place to cut - can cut for hours without a backache. Love my new room!

I definitely went with NO carpet... tho' my floor (above garage) tends to get cold in winter. Pins, fabric cuttings, threads, dust, etc. are soooooo much easier to clean up. I too have laminate wood; bought a dry Swiffer, but a broom with 'split end' bristles and a dust pan works just fine! will bring up the canister vacuum when deep cleaning is needed.

Enjoy your new sanctuary!

Suggest you put the sewing machines in a card table. you can sit down and do binding, piecing etc. My long arm quilter, Vickie has her's done that way and she has lots of room for other things as the tables slide right under her cutting table.

Love your sewing space! Can I come over and play? LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BMP
    Quote Originally Posted by tjradj
    Me Too !!!!!
    Me too

:lol:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast