Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New at quilting and in the market for a machine >

New at quilting and in the market for a machine

New at quilting and in the market for a machine

Old 04-13-2009, 03:38 PM

I'm not considered an expert quilter by anymeans, but I got a 6600 Janome for birthday and christmas present this year. I also got the table which the machine drops into. I couldn't ask for a better unit.
It's easy to understand and the stippling feature which is one of the main reasons I liked it is fabulous!
I love the table. Love the table. It makes all the sewing of everything I do so much easier as it's all one level.
I have an old Janome that I use for free arm stuff if I need it and it's still a workhorse after 20 odd years of use.
I would recommend it highly. Considering the price compared to the Bernina, it's a lot cheaper and does what I need. I know of a great quilter who uses a Juki that she got last year. It's not available here in Canada, so Janome was a great deal.
Hope this helps you.

You can see the unit at http://quiltingforfunandmorefun.blogspot.com

You can see the unit and table on my blog if you are interested.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:44 PM

wow, thank you for all the replies so far. Keep 'em coming :)

I'm reviewing a lot of sites and starting to understand a bit more about what I'd need. The auto cutting system sure sounds like a dream LOL Out of my league again though. It's overwhelming. If only my old machine would still work well, I'd go for a straight stitch machine only and have a ball.

I added the Juki hzl-e70 to my list of choices.

The hands free feature/knee lift sure sounds like a must too, but not sure any of the one I listed have it. Wondering if it's even in my price range.

Thanks for all the info :)
Old 04-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by key4unc
I don't know anything about either of these machines. I just wanted to suggest that you check Allbrands www.allbrands.com. They have great prices on machines. I'm not affiliated but I purchased a Juki from them and everyone I know who has purchased from them has been very happy.

Forgot to mention that you also want the ability to either drop the feeddogs or cover them. And you'll also want a walking foot and a "darning" foot (also called a "free motion" foot).

I get an email from allbrands every month with a coupon. I've already deleted the one for April but I'll try to remember to post the one for May. It's usually $5 off $100; 25 off $500, etc.
Have to agree with you there. Everything I have bought from them has lived up to my expectations and their prices are great. My Juki came with free shipping. How could I go wrong.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:08 AM

Before my husband surprised me with a new Bernina 440QC, I had the Janome and I LOVED it. I used it for several years and now my daughter has it and every time I use it, I remember how much I loved it. Very easy machine and sews beautifully.