Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to quilting... >

New to quilting...

New to quilting...

Old 10-12-2012, 01:40 AM
Power Poster

Quilt magazines are a good start too.....be forewarned....quilting is extraordinarily addictive
Old 10-12-2012, 02:39 AM

One year ago this month, I took a beginners quilting class at our local quilt shop. Never really thought I'd like quilting because of the math + it all seemed like a puzzle to me.

NOW, I'm hooked. I agree with everyone else, start simple and small. My first project was a wall hanging, then a baby quilt.. then I jumped to a queen size quilt. The more you do, the more confidence you'll gain.

It's all good!
And, it's all fun!!
Old 10-12-2012, 03:06 AM

When I started, I googled "Instructions for hand (machine which ever applies to you) quilting". There are several good web sites with videos. Just go slowly and enjoy the process!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:10 AM

Thanks for all the advice. In my town there is only Joanne's but I do believe there is a quilting store. I looked it up the other day to see about folks who fix machines. Most classes are geared towards retired folks and are at odd hours I can't attend due to work. I'd like to look up basic sewing classes as well. As I'm sure there's a lot of basics I don't know about yet.

I will try a potholder though. That sounds useful! Make mom some.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:18 AM

I'm a new quilter (only been quilting about a year), I second the youtube videos by Jenny Doan at the Missouri Star Quilt Company. Those are great and have been a great inspiration to me. I started out with potholders and moved to wallhangings. My first quilt was all half square triangles. So easy and old fashioned looking. Have fun with your quilting projects, the possibilities are endless.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:23 AM

I agree that taking a class is a really good way to 'see' what quilting is all about. But, there are other ways, too. There are lots of books that you could find to help you or spots on U-tube, etc. There are tutorials here on the QB site. You could look around your area for a quilt guild that accepts newby members. I've even seen quilting buddies here on QB where someone ask for help and another member kind of adopts them for helping with questions, etc. So, there are so many ways to get started.

My sister-in-law said she'd never quilt because she thought it would be too much repitition... making many blocks that look the same. But, now she's quilting like crazy. She got bit by the quilting bug (I think I had something to do with that) and there's no turning back. She's done some beautiful quilts.

So, look around and jump in..... there's always someone here on QB that will help you out if you need advice.

Nanna
Old 10-12-2012, 05:23 AM

Welcome to the board and to the Joy of Quilting! You will find it very relaxing and enjoyable. Have fun with it. You've got some good advice already.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

Also use your library as a resource tool. Books can show you how to use rotary cutting tools and show you the steps to creating a finished quilt. Also research batting types online, as different ones work better for different purposes.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:53 AM

Well, asking questions on this site is a great place to start! If you have questions or need help there's lots of folks here willing to answer!

I would say in addition to asking here and reading threads, if you have a half priced books or other used book store near you pick up some beginner quilting books for information and inspiration. Fon's and Porter's Complete Guide to Quiltmaking is a great book to own and covers just about everything you'd want to know as a beginner. Really some of the quilting magazines have the basics of "how to quilt" right there in the midsection of the magazine. Plus you get free patterns! Check out sites like allpeoplequilt.com, Bonnie Hunter's site quiltville.com, and quilterscache.com for free block patterns and basic information. For free.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:31 AM

What type of learner are you?

If you do well with others then definitely take a class! If you are a solitary learner then your options include: videos online, books from your LQS, and your local library [there is interlibrary loan if needed], and help from friends who quilt well.

If you feel better doing small pieces to start with then do it that way. If you find a pattern and fabric you absolutely love then do that. Whatever you do pick something you really like.

ali