Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: new at quilting....

new at quilting....

Hi I am beginning my very 1st. quilt ever. I am cutting all the blocks out. No problem with that. Now it says cut 2 1/2 inch wide strips for binding. My question is do I need to add the 1/4 inch seam allowance or is that already included in the 2 1/2 inch width??? Thanks for your help......So excited to get this started.

Blog Entries
    It is added!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Hello and welcome from Spring, Texas. I think I would cut them at 2 1/2". You could cut a small scrap that size and see how it looks and go from there.

Two things I never do, I never cut the back or the binding until the quilt top is done.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    It's included!

Blog Entries
    I would wait until the quilt top is completed, sandwich made, quilt quilted and trimmed before cutting the binding. but the 2 1/2" is the width to cut the binding- and for all of your blocks the seam allowance was probably already included- you should cut everything to the size the cutting chart says to cut. I never cut out a whole quilt at once- but that's just me- but borders, backing and binding are definitely left until needed- your top may not be the same size as the one in the pattern & if your borders are already cut to size they may not fit- best to adjust and cut as you need them.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Its already in there - 99.7 percent of the time, you should follow the directions, don't question the instructions. As for binding, some folks like a binding at 2.25 because it goes on tighter, but as a new quilter, you will have more success at 2.5. And you understand that those 2.5 strips are cut the full WOF (width of fabric, ie the 44/45 inches). So you end up with a 2.5 by WOF strip. Okay?
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

Blog Entries
    I know you've got your answer on the 2 1/2" sashing. So I will advise to check on the web for any revisions or updates to the pattern (it happens more times than you can imagine).
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

I'm so excited for you! Let us know what pattern you're making and we can help you along the way.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Welcome from Oregon. There are some very experienced quilters on this site. Please ask for any help you need and don't forget to share your progress with us. Love to hear that new people are continuing to get excited about quilting.

Blog Entries
    Welcome from the UK. I would not cut the binding at the beginning. Just join the top pieces together , you may feel as if you want to be creative and add another border etc and make the requirement for binding more. I can never stick to a pattern. Also your 1/4 inch seam may vary and sizes change. I also leave the backing until top finished.
    Enjoy your first quilt and don't forget to let us see a photo, we all remember our first quilt with a wide smile on our faces.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Ditti with luvstoquilt.

The seam allowance is included. Welcome from S CA

Blog Entries
    Hi, welcome from NE Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by mic-pa View Post
    Two things I never do, I never cut the back or the binding until the quilt top is done.
    Same here. Why risk the quilt top coming out a bit bigger and you having to refigure your backing and binding.