Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New sewing machine >

New sewing machine

New sewing machine

Old 07-07-2009, 03:39 AM
Banned

Nothing fancy here, just a simple Singer for many years and haven't had any problems with it. :wink:
Old 07-07-2009, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

Add me to the Bernina list. I don't have a fancy Bernina. It is almost 10 years old quilters addition (I think the number desgination is 150 something or other). I used to have an old JC Penney circa 1977 or so. That machine was a workhorse and I still have it though rarely use it. Going from the JC Penney to the Bernina was like going from a Model T to a brand new Caddilac! I wondered why I had waited so long.

I have to admit I only use a small fraction of the stitches that the machine does. Features I can't live without are the knee bar thingy that allows me to lift the presser foot with my knee, the 1/4" presser foot which not only is for seam allowance but also has notches on it for 1/4 inch in front and behind the needle, an absolute must for set in Y seams and mitered borders and binding, the walking foot and the big foot for FMQ. If I remember correctly my machine came with those presser feet and few others I rarely use. It also included a free class and my dealer services for free for I don't know how long. I have yet to pay for a service!
FF
Old 07-07-2009, 02:07 PM

Quiltmania--The needle up/down is a must. I also like a variable needle position that my Bernina has. I have a Janome 1600 for my quilt frame. It does not have a needle threader and I wish it did have! It has the automatic thread cutter which is handy, but it pulls the thread tail to the bottom, which is a problem for quilting if you have a different color backing. A 9" throat is not adequate for a quilt frame--can't finish a whole block without advancing. But that is probably not important to you without a frame. I have heard good things about the Janome 1600. Try them all!
Old 07-07-2009, 07:32 PM

I have haad a Viking Designer 1 which is a great machine.
I also have had a Brother 8500D which was a work horse for pieceing and Embroidery...
Now I went to the TOL Pfaff and Brother, which feature both sewing and machine embroidery.
I love them both.
Alot of the new machines come with some things standard, like fancy stitches, buttonhole, etc...
There are some things that are really great for quilting, I think.
A large throat area to manage those quilts. Even feed, like a Pfaff or Bernina have, to do wonderful quilting.
Foot up, needle down-pivot feature for piecing. And most important, is an moveable needle to get that 'perfect" 1/4" inch seam!
Kirsten
Old 07-12-2009, 03:56 AM

I saved up and bought a Janome MC4900QC.
I was in the same position as you - had straight and zig zag and wanted more...
Now that I have had the machine for about a year and a half I wish that I would have gone down to one of the lesser ones... I NEVER use the fancy stitches at all. shhh! don't tell my husband! I have actually tried to sell it on craigslist but had no takers. I would have liked to downsize.

I will say that had I not gotten it I would never have tried a walking foot or a 1/4" quilting foot both of which are always at hand these days!!
Old 07-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by craftydeb
I saved up and bought a Janome MC4900QC.
I was in the same position as you - had straight and zig zag and wanted more...
Now that I have had the machine for about a year and a half I wish that I would have gone down to one of the lesser ones... I NEVER use the fancy stitches at all. shhh! don't tell my husband! I have actually tried to sell it on craigslist but had no takers. I would have liked to downsize.

I will say that had I not gotten it I would never have tried a walking foot or a 1/4" quilting foot both of which are always at hand these days!!
That's a shame Deb, have you never even tried some of the fancy stitches on some crazy patches? They are REALLY effective. Give yourself a chance, who knows how you will feel in a year or two. When I got my machine, I paid for the embroidery unit too, full well knowing that I had no hope of working out how to use it on my own. 18 months late, I had the opportunity to attend a one day workshop and Hey Presto! I was away. That was all I needed to be able to go forward and do lovely embroideries. I have never been tempted to try to design any myself, I have what feels like a whole computerful of designs I have downloaded for free.