Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New sewing machine? >

New sewing machine?

New sewing machine?

Old 01-02-2015, 05:36 PM

love my brother
Old 01-02-2015, 06:07 PM

I have a Viking but it was made in Sweden, many in our guild do NOT like their new Viking embroidery machines. Check out the brother brand, seems to be a variety of them
Old 01-02-2015, 06:32 PM

I have a Viking Topaz 50. I love it. I just bought my daughter a Brother PE770 and it is a great embroidery machine at a great price. She loves the fact that she can get Disney. If you are in the market, set your budget and write down the things you want your machine to do. If you are going to FMQ on it as well I would make a few practice sandwiches and take them with you and test run each machine.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:03 PM

I bought my Bernina from a dealer who gave unlimited lessons. I would recommend that you by from a good dealer that you feel comfortable with. You will not use the machine to its fullest without guide lessons. I do believe nothing sews like a Bernina. Hope this helps.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:12 PM

A year or so ago I talked to my sewing machine repairman and asked him what the best machines now were, those which he seldom saw in his shop for repair, and he said the only machines he could now recommend were Brother and Baby Lock were by far the two best machines being made now. My main machine is a Pfaff 7570, which has an embroidery unit with it, but I also have two Brothers, a Viking 1100 which is out on permanent loan to a dear friend, a rather old New Home and a 1954 Featherweight.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:30 AM

Love my Vikings, ruby and diamond deluxe. For as many of times you can ask this question you'll get a different answer. My diamond deluxe is great, never have to adjust thread tension, emb designs stitch out looking the same on front and back and so very easy to use and learn. My best advice is if possible go to a few different stores and check out the different ones and check out the customer service at where you are buying at the same time. One of the machines that you mentioned I wouldn't even consider because of the place I would have had to deal with aren't the nicest around. You really need to try them out, check out the different features and see what you like, me, largest hoop I can afford, needle up/down, auto cut and tie, when I hit the start button it lowers the pressure foot and adjust all on its own. That one spoiled me and its the only issue when I use my serger, I keep forgetting to put it down. Even if I had to drive around a while to try the machines out, it would be so worth it in the end. Good luck