Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: New Sewing Machine

  1. #1
    Super Member Olivia's Grammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fayetteville, GA
    Posts
    2,881
    Blog Entries
    1
    My Pfaff is trying to die. I had it fixed less than 6 month ago and the same problem is creeping back. DH told me to "Go buy a new one" Think I'm going to take him up on it. Here's what I want in a new machine: Dual feed dogs, (a must) needle down-up, needle position, thread cutter, top loading bobbin (a must) and maybe knee lift. Knee lift is nice, but not a must. So far I've only looked at Baby Lock and they didn't have the top loading bobbin. I have a embrodiery machine and a long arm so I really don't need anything that fancy. ASG Sewing Expo is coming her in March so I thought I would shop there since I'll be there every day. Any suggestions :?:

  2. #2
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    There are so many nice machines to choose from. I have sewn on a lot of new machines, even the new Bernina and if I was going to buy a regular sewing machine for piecing I would buy the high end Kenmore.

  3. #3
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    What problem is your Pfaff dieing from?

  4. #4
    Super Member Olivia's Grammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fayetteville, GA
    Posts
    2,881
    Blog Entries
    1
    The bobbin won't wind, so I bought the side winder. Now the latest and most important thing is when you put the pressure foot down it doesn't want to go down. I think I've just worn the old girl out. I have several machines so I'm not in a big hurry to buy. Right now I'm using two FW to piece. Why 2? One is set at a scant 1/4". Don't you hate the word scant? The other one is set at a regular 1/4".

  5. #5
    Super Member JanetM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    At my LQS
    Posts
    2,355
    I think going to the ASG Expo is a good idea. You can check out all of the differant machines to find the perfect one for you.

    In the meantime you might want to go to the machine sites:
    Husqvarna Viking, Bernina, Janome, etc. You can find info there on their different models and the features they have. It's nice to be able to do some comparisons before you talk to a salesperson.

    Good luck and fun picking out a new one.

  6. #6
    Super Member Olivia's Grammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fayetteville, GA
    Posts
    2,881
    Blog Entries
    1
    Yea, that's what I plan on doing. I know what I want and I don't plan on wasting time looking at machines that don't have the features I want. I think the Expo has the best prices, but I want to know what the prices are so I know if I'm getting a good deal. I usually like to be able to depend on the dealer, but since I am an experience sewer I can handle most things on my own.

  7. #7
    Super Member ConnieF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    NW Wa
    Posts
    1,703
    take a look at the Sapphirs (sp) Saphires oh to earlie...
    They have a lot of quilting space that with a long arm you done need but for smaller baby blankets ans wall hangings et you migh not want to oad on the LA. I love the 4 Vikings I have

  8. #8
    Super Member Rose Marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Clay Springs AZ
    Posts
    3,227
    The Sapphire is great but it dosnt have the thread cutter you want.
    I like the needle down that automatically raises the foot so you can turn the fabric. I love this feature. Also the 10in throat. I paid 1100 for mine when it first came out. They are much cheaper now.

  9. #9
    Super Member wvdek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    A million dollar view!
    Posts
    8,889
    My Janome 6600 P has everything you mentioned and a whole lot more. I love my machine.

    On sale about 1.2 years ago, I think I paid around $1200.

  10. #10
    Super Member Olivia's Grammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fayetteville, GA
    Posts
    2,881
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    My Janome 6600 P has everything you mentioned and a whole lot more. I love my machine.

    On sale about 1.2 years ago, I think I paid around $1200.
    What else does the Janome 6600 have? Since I have several machines I really don't need alot of extras. I do understand that to get what I want I may have to get extras I don't really need.

  11. #11
    Power Poster MadQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ELVERTA, CA
    Posts
    15,276
    Blog Entries
    1
    In a different thread someone did a comparison between the Janome and the Pfaff, and if I had to do it again, I would definitely check out the Janome. (I'm a Pfaff girl) One of the best comments was that the Janome does not pull the pieces down into the feed dogs (a real bugger with the Pfaff). I know some people who LOVE their Janomes.

    check out this thread too - it fits right in with your questions
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-35599-1.htm

  12. #12
    Super Member Olivia's Grammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fayetteville, GA
    Posts
    2,881
    Blog Entries
    1
    Yesterday I made a list of the the sewing machines stores and their phone #. Three of the machines are sold at one store. My DIL is going to go with me next Sat. The store with the 3 machines is pretty close to her. Plus I'll get to spend time with my DGD. I'm going to call the other stores to see if their machines have the features I want. Also I want an idea of the price before I drive that far. Of course all the stores but one are at least an hour drive from me. A friend told me that her friend saved over $800 last year by buying her machine at the Sewing Expo, which is what I hope to do. Some one suggestioned a Kenmore. I'm going to check that out also. Thanks for every ones imput. Where else can we go to get so many honest opinons :?: :?: :?:

  13. #13
    Super Member Deb watkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Horseheads, NY 14845
    Posts
    4,020
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    In a different thread someone did a comparison between the Janome and the Pfaff, and if I had to do it again, I would definitely check out the Janome. (I'm a Pfaff girl) One of the best comments was that the Janome does not pull the pieces down into the feed dogs (a real bugger with the Pfaff). I know some people who LOVE their Janomes.

    check out this thread too - it fits right in with your questions
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-35599-1.htm
    I would be one that loves the Janome - Memory Craft 4900

  14. #14
    Senior Member JoyVoltenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sullivan, IL
    Posts
    368
    I have had a BabyLock Decorators Choice for 4 years now and love it. It has a top loading bobbin. It's been a very dependable machine and I have great service from my LQS. I've never had any problems with it.

  15. #15
    Esqmommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tied up in Thread
    Posts
    5,153
    If you buy at the expo, will you be able to get the classes and extras that come with purchasing from a dealer? I bought my machines from a dealer...they have been really good about doing my servicing more quickly since I bought from them. Sometimes they have 3 week waits for their servicing work! Also, have you looked at the latest Pfaff's? They are amazing. I have a 2048 Quilt Expression. I also have a
    Bernina 440 QEE, which I love. It doesn't have the IDT that the Pfaff does, and if it's a must, then you won't be happy with a Bernina. It does have the stitch regulator, and I have had no problems with it feeding material thru.

  16. #16
    Super Member Olivia's Grammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fayetteville, GA
    Posts
    2,881
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Esqmommy
    If you buy at the expo, will you be able to get the classes and extras that come with purchasing from a dealer? I bought my machines from a dealer...they have been really good about doing my servicing more quickly since I bought from them. Sometimes they have 3 week waits for their servicing work! Also, have you looked at the latest Pfaff's? They are amazing. I have a 2048 Quilt Expression. I also have a
    Bernina 440 QEE, which I love. It doesn't have the IDT that the Pfaff does, and if it's a must, then you won't be happy with a Bernina. It does have the stitch regulator, and I have had no problems with it feeding material thru.
    Which ever dealer I would buy from is an hour away. I have a pretty dependable repair person close to me and that's where I take my machines for servicing. I have the Pfaff 7570 which I love, that's why I want the dual feed dogs, that is a must. I looked at Baby Lock, they don't have top loading bobbin, which is the second must. I keep my machines in cabinets. Without the top loading bobbin I am constantly having to lift the machine out and back in. Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not getting any younger and my upper body strength is my weakest so I am planning ahead. I don't need the sitch regulator since I have a long arm.

  17. #17
    Esqmommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tied up in Thread
    Posts
    5,153
    To be honest, I have not seen a difference having IDT and not when I'm doing regular sewing...

  18. #18
    Member billsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bradenton,FL
    Posts
    90
    All right! What's your secret? How do you set a FW at a scant 1/4" anyway?
    No, how do you 'SET" your FW at any needle position? I had to buy a "Little Big Foot" when I used my mother's FW! I thought
    ALL FWs were strictly straight stitch!
    Aren't they?

    Befuddled!

    Bill's Girl

  19. #19
    Super Member Olivia's Grammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fayetteville, GA
    Posts
    2,881
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by billsgirl
    All right! What's your secret? How do you set a FW at a scant 1/4" anyway?
    No, how do you 'SET" your FW at any needle position? I had to buy a "Little Big Foot" when I used my mother's FW! I thought
    ALL FWs were strictly straight stitch!
    Aren't they?

    Befuddled!

    Bill's Girl
    I measure from the needle 1/4" then came in closer a "scant" then I put a strip of mole skin where I wanted the seam to be. On the other machine I again measured 1/4" from the needle and use another strip of mole shin. I do have a 1/4" foot for the FW which I remembered after the fact.

  20. #20
    Super Member Rose Marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Clay Springs AZ
    Posts
    3,227
    The Viking Sapphire has the top loading bobbin and it is so easy to change, no lifting the machine out of the cabinet or even the insert.
    After reading so many things about other machines I am glad I have my Viking.
    It also has a setting for 1/4 inch and I just move the needle to get a scant. The 10 in throat is great too.

  21. #21
    Super Member Olivia's Grammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fayetteville, GA
    Posts
    2,881
    Blog Entries
    1
    I did some calling this morning to the sewing machine dealers. Looks like I'm leaning towards the Janome 6600. It has everything I want, plus they take trade ins. The price didn't seem to bad either. The dealer is an hour away, but my local repair person used to sell Janomes so I'll be confident taking my Janome to him for servicing.

  22. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Frederick, Maryland
    Posts
    240
    depends on which Sapphire you buy. The 870 has a thread cutter at the push of a button on the front of the machine./ Lissa

  23. #23
    Esqmommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tied up in Thread
    Posts
    5,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivia's Gramy
    I did some calling this morning to the sewing machine dealers. Looks like I'm leaning towards the Janome 6600. It has everything I want, plus they take trade ins. The price didn't seem to bad either. The dealer is an hour away, but my local repair person used to sell Janomes so I'll be confident taking my Janome to him for servicing.
    How exciting. Be sure to post a picture when you get her home!

  24. #24
    Super Member Oklahoma Suzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Home town: Rehoboth, MA Now living in OK
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by JanetM
    I think going to the ASG Expo is a good idea. You can check out all of the differant machines to find the perfect one for you.

    In the meantime you might want to go to the machine sites:
    Husqvarna Viking, Bernina, Janome, etc. You can find info there on their different models and the features they have. It's nice to be able to do some comparisons before you talk to a salesperson.

    Good luck and fun picking out a new one.
    I think it's great you get to see some new ones.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.