Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New sewing room

My husband is either in the garage, working in the yard, or on his computer in the den, which is upstairs. My sewing studio is in the back of the basement, next to the "Wreck Room" (otherwise known as a family room). If either of us wants to talk to the other, we go to where that person is. I figures for me it's a good way to build in some breaks from sewing, cutting, or ironing. We do spend time together in the Wreck Room watching TV. But then, I am usually also knitting, readiing, or on the computer, but we are in the same room - does that count?:)

Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!
    if there's a computer in each room, you could Skype! haa haa, that's how I keep in touch with older kids / grandkids in Jax, NC :) have often teased hubby that I'll skype him if he's in his lair...

Blog Entries
    My sewing room is the sun room. It's all windows except for one wall. I do get very good light and a view of the golf course. We do have a guestroom I could use but then I would be all over that room. My sewing room is small but am able to have a convertible sofa, tv, dvd, small ironing board and of course my Janome and stash. It's cramped but it works for me.

I've thought of taking out the sofa making more room, but my son and SIL love sleeping in there in summer with the windows open. The girls get the guestroom. DH is able to see me or call to me at all times, except when he's doing laundry. Whatever it takes, right?

I just lost my sewing room to the baby. I still have a sewing table in there, and we just set up a chair in the corner so that my DH can play on his DS, the baby can crawl around on the floor and cause trouble, and I can rush to get some sewing in!

Most of my cutting / setting up is being done in the living room while my DH plays on the computer and the baby naps.

The system has worked well for the Christmas break - we'll see how it is when we're back at work!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn
    My hubby put a 60 inch tv in the room I just made my new sewing room so he watches football or works on his blackberry or laptop (he works from home) and we are together. I love it because we spent the better part of the last 25 years apart since he was a Marine and deployed often :)
    Sweet Semper Fi

Does anyone have a napkin????? I'm drooling!!! :lol: DH and I bought an older mobile home 5 years ago because we knew when we retired we'd be on a budget. DH gutted it, replaced everything with new...stove, dishwasher, refrig, walls, ceiling, insulation, bathroom, carpet, etc. It was a 2 bedroom we turned into a 1 bedroom with a small den. He opened up the den by taking out two walls. There just isn't much room for a sewing room, much less storage. But, I do have a wonderful DH. He bought me 3 (yes 3!!!!! ) large cabinets for my fabric storage. I hate to admit it, but we have cabinets instead of a couch. :oops: And, I have one wall along the den with my Janome, books and goodies. Though it's small, I do love it!!! And DH is close enough we can talk.
    Attached Images Attached Images

We have two separate buildings...I have a studio and he has a shop. We put wireless intercom in and we can stay in touch. We meet for tea in one place o the other sometimes!! Hee hee

Yelling, laughing, deep breathing -- all very healthy for the lungs!

Quote Originally Posted by tmw
    i did it again, my reply got into your message, i'm sorry, what do i do wrong?
    I'm no techie, but I think what you might have done was type your response inside the quote brackets. When you click on 'Quote Reply" the box that you input your response will show the actual quote first, enclosed in the quote brackets ([ ]). Make sure you put the cursor outside the quote before you type. I think. At least that's what I do.

Editted to add: Sorry! By the time I got this written and posted, there have already been answers to this question.

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    My sewing area is in our livingroom behind the couch. It's the only place I have for sewing. I would love a room to myself just so I could have quiet me time. I envy those who have rooms to themselves.
    Give yourself time and eventually you'll have that "spare" room. For years I did all my sewing on "the" table in our trailer--everything had to be cleared off for meals. When we moved into a house I claimed a small area of the family room. My sewing desk was a huge executive desk bought from army base salvage. From there I went to a tiny space under the stairs--I put up outdoor pictures to combat the tiny closed in space, but I liked having everything together and being able to "hide" for a bit from the crowd (6 kids). I suppose I have morphed through 4/5 rooms and places before my own large room for sewing became reality (which was after my husband died.) I decided I could sleep in a small room and sew in a big room and it would work just fine. So, keep wishing and hoping and it will all work out eventually :>).

Ahhhh yes, the ham radio world. I grew up in a family of 5... 5 people.... 5 hams, need I say more?
    I am no longer an "active" ham, as a widow of 20 yrs now, I have adult children and grandchildren living with me and I just sew, sew and then sew some more. Life is great! I loved your post and I know your MIL is one lucky lady to have you for a DIL!
    Judy in Texas

[email protected]
    Name:  Attachment-151698.jpe
Views: 16
Size:  2.3 KB

We moved from a larger home into a Condo. I actually got a larger sewing studio because DH finished the basement to accomadate my sewing needs. Lots of storage but I still share it with a queen size bed. Thinking of having him make me a murphy bed to open up floor space.
    My DH is involved with his crossword puzzles so he tends to be a thinker rather than a talker.
    He stays in the main living area where his TV is. After 40 years we manage to meet in the middle.

show us pics please

How about an intercom system?

Sounds like you need walkie-talkies or some kind of intercom system. Our cordless phones function that way. Cell phones work too if you have reception in your basement (we don't). In our house, I'm in the basement, he's upstairs. I'm threatening to move my sewing room up to the attic where there are windows. Haven't made up my mind yet.

I am having such a good time reading all your responses to this topic. Walkie talkies sound like a good idea!!! Once we get our land phones hooked up we can actually buzz each other on our extensions.

Happy sewing to all of you where ever you sew and whomever shares it with you!

Blog Entries
    My sewing room is in a spare bedroom used when the grandchildren spend the night. The room also has our computer which the hubby uses at night and I sit right behind him at the sewing machine. He likes to go on e-bay and look at all the vintage machines for sale. So when he says "look at this one" I just have to glance over his shoulder. We are in the process of building a sewing studio when that's finished we will have to do something else to talk. But, the room will have a wood cook stove so I know in the winter months he will be sitting with me a lot.

When we moved to the ranch 17 years ago I took over a bedroom up stairs and it is my sewing room, office and computer station. Over the years I have rearranged it to be more sewing room than office space. (Who wants to do bookwork if you can sew right?) It works but wish I could have the whole room for sewing. DH has his computer in the next bedroom so he is either there or in the living room watching tv. I listen to old time radio stories on the computer while quilting. I sometimes think I would like a tv in here but love the old stories. After 47 years we hollar to each other if needed. Works for us.

My dh and I both quilt (although I much more than he) so we are in the same room ( converted double car garage.) Love it when we are together. We also work together, so I also enjoy my alone time in the "studio". Been married for 46 years and quilting together for 15.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lalaland
    I moved from Iowa to Nebraska once!

My sewing room used to be in the family room, then my son moved out so I moved into his room down the hall. I have a great setup but I'm lonely! I take breaks and gravitate to the family room frequently. Someone needs to invent a "silent" sewing machine!
    Do you have a Singer 201 ? The next best thing to a "silent" machine.

Cell phones work great

My hubby and I work together in our basement. He does his Bible studies for Sunday school while I quilt. We do have a TV and radio. We sometimes listen to talk shows. When I was in the basement and he was upstairs in the computer room we used a baby monitor for communication. Might be an answer to talking with each other.

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    DH & I have taken over the dining room. We don't eat in there, it's colder at both ends of the house (he's on one end & I'm at the other end), we can both see the TV from there & we're together. He complains about my quilting a lot less now that he's seeing what I really do with my time.

HOWEVER, he went to WalMart by himself on Thursday. Now he's talking about a big flat screen! His question to me actually was "What do you want to do with that?" He was pointing to the entertainment center at the time. We paid big bucks for it! I said it could go in our bedroom with the TV that it was bought for in it. nI asked, "What are you going to do for a TV?" Then he told me what he was up to!

Great idea. Right now I use a baby monitor when I am embroidering. I listen for the beep for broken thread, or the empty bobbin alarm or thread change stop. I do this if I am on the main floor as my sewing room is in the upstairs. Works great.

This has really been fun to read and find out what everyone is doing for their sewing "space". I love my space for sewing. I have our loft for sewing on one end and my paper crafts on the other. DH is usually downstairs watching tv but because it is a loft and it is all open, we can carry on a conversation with no problem.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast