Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: New to this site and Quilting

Blog Entries

New to this site and Quilting

Hi everyone! Hope someone can help me. My in-laws passed away earlier this year. I have some of their clothes and would like to make small quilts for my sister in-laws. The materials are not all the same though. Polyester, nylon, cotton, stretchy... Is there any way I can stabilize the stretchy fabric? Or any recommendations on how I can incorporate all these into a quilt? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

You can fusible interfacing to stabilize the fabric so they won't stretch. Then you cut the size you need from it. The interfacing stays on the back, you don't take it off. You need fusible you can sew through and not gum up your needle. Many featherweight interfacing are available. You want very light so the quilt won't be heavy. Search online for How to make a tee shirt quilt. Not that you are making a tee shirt quilt but will give you all the details of fusing and what type.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Welcome to the QB I hope this link to a guide using Pellon products is helpful. My personal preference is to use fusible vs sew-in interfacing but either should work just fine. I agree with Onebyone to use some type of featherweight so as not to add any/much weight to the quilt.

FYI - I use the often available coupons and buy at JoAnn Fabrics.

http://www.joann.com/on/demandware.s...acingGuide.pdf

Be sure to ask any questions you may have here as there's a wealth of wisdom eagerly shared by many and please post pictures of your progress! It's so nice that you're doing this for your sister-in-law.

Christine
    Last edited by TheMerkleFamily; 07-08-2018 at 09:05 AM.
    Christine
    In my dream world.... fabric is free and quilting makes you thin!

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Be very careful with your iron if you choose to use the polyester and/or rayon. Both polyester and nylon can melt at as low as 350F. The normal temperature to press cotton is 400F.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

Hi and welcome from North Carolina! You came to the right place to get all your questions answered. There are plenty of wonderful experienced quilters here that help all the rest of us. ...

Welcome from Missouri.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Welcome from Oregon!
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Blog Entries
    Boy, SillySusan, you told her the right thing. I need help a lot of time and I get it. I read these threads all of the time. My trouble is, I'm really old and getting forgetful. That doesn't help. LOL, but we do get help from our good quilters.

Power Poster
    Hi, - Welcome -

Have you done any other sewing?

Different types of fabrics can be put in one quilt - but they can be challenging - especially for a beginner.

Even some experienced quilters/sewers try to avoid putting stretchy and non-stretchy together.

I think the most important criteria is for all the components to be washable if you are planning to make items that will be washed at some time.

If the item is to be "looked at only" - then - I think - it may not matter as much. (I only make "washable" items.)

Just wanted to say Welcome to the board and I hope you have a great deal of success with your project.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

I'm new to this board, too- just joined last night, but I *HAVE* made "memory" quilts for myself and my two sisters after our parents died. Mostly they are out of Daddy's flannel shirts, which he wore a lot of in his last few years. I wouldn't really recommend flannel shirts- the plaids are usually not woven, the grain is TERRIBLE and they are usually loosely woven. That said- when we were sorting out things at the house, I offered to make them and got the flannel shirts. Also, a pair of Daddy's dark green work pants, a blouse of my mothers that happened to be plaid, and anything we found.... in her cedar chest, we found scraps from our bedroom curtains at our first house, the living room draperies at our first house, and the living room draperies at our second house, as well as material our mother used to reupholster a hassock for our grandmother. One sister wanted mostly reds, one wanted blues, and I wanted greens. There were not that many greens but I had those green work pants. I just made up a square and made three of them. I bought some maroon flannel, some navy flannel, and some tan flannel and used it for a solid fabric in some of the squares. When I had the first three squares done, I measured them- I think they were about 10" and I just kept making squares- Any which way. Any pattern I wanted. I would make a square and then make 2 more of the same pattern and I kept each sister's pile separately. I'll attach a picture. At first, I cut the good fabric out of the shirts, but then I used the pockets, sometimes the cuff placket, sometimes the front buttons... These quilts are sort of heavy- and are large "throw" sized- long enough for a tall man to use. (Shoot- I am finding it impossible to load my picture!)

I forgot to mention- I didn't use any kind of stabilizer.