Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • New thread weaker than old.... >
  • New thread weaker than old....

• New thread weaker than old....

Old 03-06-2014, 06:34 PM

Default New thread weaker than old....

I have a bunch if old threads and was wondering if they were still good so I pulled out ~12 inches from the spool and pulled/yanked them. Most of the old threads (on wooden spools) did not break at all when i pulled it HARD.

So I decided to compare the strength to a brand new spool of aurifil. The aurifil broke immediately and easily with just the tiniest pull!

Is this the way to test a threads condition and strength or was old thread simply made stronger? Makes me wonder if I'm overpaying for thread...
    Old 03-06-2014, 06:43 PM

The way you "tested" the threads is the recommended method. Everyone says that if it's old thread(wooden spools) to just toss or keep as "pretties", I personally have a bunch of wooden spool threads and use them quite often and have never had a problem. As far as Aurifil, I have no idea, since it's too expensive for me to buy, although a number of people swear by it.
    Old 03-06-2014, 08:08 PM
    Power Poster

I think that test is only reliable when testing for dry rot. I assume your Aurifil is the 50wt 2-ply thread. 2-ply thread is typically less strong than 3-ply thread. However, I much prefer Aurifil 2-ply 50wt over standard 3-ply for both piecing and quilting (on my domestic machine; it's too weak for quilting on my midarm machine).
    Old 03-06-2014, 09:27 PM

The aurifil is 50wt 2-ply. But if it weaker than the 3-ply, why is it better for piecing? I've read that it makes the seams lay more flat. But wouldn't strength be more important? Thanks for your help!
    Old 03-07-2014, 10:28 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Auntevie
    The aurifil is 50wt 2-ply. But if it weaker than the 3-ply, why is it better for piecing? I've read that it makes the seams lay more flat. But wouldn't strength be more important? Thanks for your help!
    Machine sewing is already very strong -- especially compared to hand sewing seams with a running stitch, which is how quilts were made before the invention of the sewing machine. Hand-pieced quilts survive because there is very little stress on the seams once a quilt is quilted. Therefore, the slight difference in seam strength between using a 3-ply and a 2-ply thread isn't a negative that weighs against the positive of having seams lie flatter and be more accurate for matching purposes.
    Old 03-07-2014, 03:29 PM

Thank you!
    Old 03-07-2014, 05:06 PM
    Power Poster

I have about 30 wooden spools from my Grandmothers stash and I would NOT use it to piece. Haven't figured out what to do with it yet. Saw a cute wreath someone made on the board with spool threads from her Mother's stash.