New Tin Lizzie 18 Setup

Old 12-09-2009, 04:10 PM

thanks
Old 01-16-2010, 04:13 PM

ok here's a pic of quilt in progress.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-52834.jpe   attachment-52835.jpe  
Old 01-16-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by dojo36
I have bought a new tin lizzie 18 setup on a gracie frame. haven't gotten it yet but i'll be doing some quilts for others and charging for it. there's only one other lady in this town that does this. she charges 1 and a half cents per square inch, charges for thread and batting. she is excellent. what should i charge starting out? i don't want to undercharge or overcharge. i've done stippling on my janome 6600 and do good. i'm going to make a few demo quilts first of course and maybe a couple for friends at no charge just to get some practice. i'm really excited to get it, but would like to get some pointers and advice from others that quilt for profit. i
need to supplement my social security and i do so enjoy all about quilts. also my name is Donna - can anyone think of a clever name for my business. like my friend who owns lqs, her name is Betty, thus the name of the lqs is: Betty's Bobbin Box.
Hello, I am so happy for you, I have a Jamone 6600 and have tried to free motion quilting on it and I dont do very good any advice that might help will be greatly appreciated. I find it very hard to move the quilt for free motion..
Old 01-16-2010, 04:24 PM

dora, we are neighbors - almost. i live in odessa. i also have the janome 6600 and i've learned to do pretty good fmq on it. do you drop ur feed dogs? do you use the bobbin holder made specifically for fmq , made by janome? that was the straw that broke the camel's back for me, i wasn't doing too good but ever since i bought that, i do pretty darn good on it now. it retails for about $50. but sure is worth it.
donna
Old 01-16-2010, 06:13 PM

Humm I am only using the one that came with the machine...didnt know there was another kind (bobbin holder), I will have to look for one, is it call anything different and yes I drop feed dogs
Old 01-16-2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dora Taggart
Humm I am only using the one that came with the machine...didnt know there was another kind (bobbin holder), I will have to look for one, is it call anything different and yes I drop feed dogs
i don't think it's called anything different - just a bobbin case by Janome that the tension is set for free motion quilting. it has a little blue mark instead of a red mark just so u won't have to wonder which one you have, the tension is set at the factory just for that purpose, it's so well worth it.
donna
Old 01-16-2010, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dora Taggart
i don't think it's called anything different - just a bobbin case by Janome that the tension is set for free motion quilting. it has a little blue mark instead of a red mark just so u won't have to wonder which one you have, the tension is set at the factory just for that purpose, it's so well worth it.
donna
Thanks, I looked at Janome site and found it, may have to give it a try. Also, if I may ask what setting do you use when FMQ...
Old 01-16-2010, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Try to offer designs the other quilter doesn't if that is possible. I would price the same as the other quilter until I built up a good customer base. Good luck and start a blog and show your work, many longarmers get most of their business through their blogs.
great idea.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:32 PM

found it. looking good. is the thread okay now?
Old 01-16-2010, 08:48 PM

[quote=butterflywing]
found it. looking good. is the thread okay now?[/quote
yes butterflywing, the thread is doing just great now, thanks for all ur suggestions, they all worked. i finished it and took it off the frame, squared it up and am ready to make the binding. also ready to do another one. i still have some problems though and trying to figure them out, kinda hard to even explain in writing. has to do with loading the quilts and being able to quilt all the way to the edge of the top, the bungee cords get in the way so i cut me some fabric about 6 inches wide and length of quilt, proceeded to sew those strips to all 4 sides of quilt backing and hooked the bungee cords to that, lot of extra work but it worked. i'll send pic after i get the binding on. my quilting has improved so much over the first whole cloth practice quilt that i threw in the trash. second one went to a friend's dog, 3rd & 4th ones looked better but this is actually the first quilt i've done on lizzie and am pleased but still have a long way to go before i feel i'm good at it.
donna