Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New vendor to Craft Show - Need Help >

New vendor to Craft Show - Need Help

New vendor to Craft Show - Need Help

Old 10-20-2010, 11:04 AM

The church charges a fee for the table@$20.00 per table or only $15.00 for members. Then the church ladies run the kitchen selling homemade soup, desserts and sandwiches.
The money goes to the school (it's a Catholic Church). So I hope to make a little money to buy more material of course.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:07 AM

I like your idea Denise, "Created by Sue" it is.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:19 AM

I have never heard of getting a business license or paying taxes for stuff sold at a craft fair. If it's hobby stuff and not your primary source of income, I think it's very different. Like having a yard sale. Good luck!! Sometimes you can do really well, other times not. Unpredictable.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:26 AM

As a veteran of many craft fairs, let me say the only people making any money will be the ones selling the soup and sandwiches. Sometimes I think that's the only reason they want the vendors there.
You will get a lot of oohing and aahing and oh how pretty and my haven't you been busy until your head will explode.
Most of the folks who go are looking for ideas they can do.
Sorry if I sound cynical, this is why I stopped doing them.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:32 AM

A general rule for prices ---- determine your cost of materials to make the item and double it. If you think it costs $2 to make a potholder - charge $4 for it. This is a very loose general rule and usually doesn't apply to quilts and other handcrafted items that are labor intensive, but for the items you are making to sell at a church bazaar - it should work. Good luck and have fun!
Old 10-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

It depends on your state tax codes. We have a state tax. The church would be nonprofit and doesn't have to pay any taxes. If I sold items, I would be considered for profit. Where I live I have to have a Business name and tax id number. I am required to pay state taxes on any items I sell, whether it is a hobby or business. I do think all states are different in their laws and codes.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:06 PM

Be aware that if you do apply for a tax number, you may find yourself in a bureaucratic nightmare. Let's say you did 5 shows in the fall/holiday season and paid $100 in sales tax. next spring, when you do not do any shows, the state will bill you for $100 in taxes, assuming that every quarter you have the same sales, like a regular business.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:18 PM

Sue's Creations
Old 10-20-2010, 02:15 PM

Dear Sue
I have been doing craft shows for over 20 years and have actually made a profit and enjoyed a number of vacations on the earnings. My rule of thumb is basically take the materials and times it by either 2 or 3 depending on the amount of time involved to produce the item. I sale mainly stuffed animals, small quilts, and household items such as potholders/coasters/microwave bags. My big quilts do sale but only on the rare occasion and usually to someone the knows and appreciates the amount of work involved in producing a quilt that is full size or bigger.
In Arizona, you are required by law to be a licensed business where you collect and submit taxes to the proper jurisdiction. Be sure you are up on the laws because here the state officials do show up to the various craft shows, collect your license fee and give you the proper paperwork to account for your earnings that day. Then you are on their list FOREVER! Though you may only earn a few 100 dollars at any given show, they expect their fair share.
But since I'm licensed I also receive tax exemption on my supplies & fabrics and in some places I get a vendor or commercial discount on top of that. Give and take. Just be up on your local licensing and tax requirements. And have fun - I've met more wonderful people in all the shows I've done and will continue to enjoy doing them as long as God allows me the strength and talents to do so.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:57 PM

Crafty Sue for a name?