Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie! Flannel Charm Patch Blanket - Batting Help >

Newbie! Flannel Charm Patch Blanket - Batting Help

Newbie! Flannel Charm Patch Blanket - Batting Help

Old 11-29-2019, 03:12 PM

Question Newbie! Flannel Charm Patch Blanket - Batting Help

Hi Everyone! So glad I found you! I have been sewing for a little over a year and recently fell in love with quilting. (I'm kind of obsessed actually) I now sew on a Babylock Soprano, which I love (especially after previous machine that I got for $25 at a yard sale.) We do get addicted quickly, don't we!

I was going to make placemats, so I bought some Moda flannel charm packs. I decided they would make a great throw instead, so I bought some more charm packs (would not necessarily do it this way, not lazy, just wanted consistency).

This is for my hubby, who would prefer a comfy blanket for watching football, etc. Therefore, I plan to go light on the quilting. I bought warm and natural 100% cotton batting. I am now thinking maybe I should have gone for a high loft poly? Not sure my machine could sew through all of that though? Unwashed and un quilted, it's about 72 x 60". I welcome all opinions! Thank you!
Old 11-29-2019, 03:59 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Polyester batt is harder to quilt on a smaller sewing machine and it also shifts. With two layers of flannel and the warm and natural batt, it should be toasty. Flannel and cotton batt tends to shrink when washed but if the backing is flannel also it will shrink together. I might use a 3/8 seam allowance rather then 1/4 because flannel usually has a looser weave and frays more.
Old 11-29-2019, 04:26 PM

welcome from Tucson Arizona. Glad you caught the bug I'm sure you will enjoy quilting.
Old 11-29-2019, 05:06 PM

I think you will be just fine with warm and natural...I usually just use Hobbs 80/20 (80percent cotton, 20 percent poly). This past fall I made about 7 scrap flannel throws and gave them to family members...my brother complained to me that he and his wife were having a date night in their living room and planned on watching a movie....well he said in about 20 minutes they both fell asleep under their new flannel throws and missed the rest of the movie. Moda seems to me to be a bit closer weave than a lot of other flannels...it also does not seem to shrink as much....
Old 11-30-2019, 06:07 AM

I agree you'll be fine with the W&N batting. Also agree with the Moda flannel being a tighter weave. I recently machine quilted a paper pieced over-sized king quilt (read very heavy quilt) on my domestic machine using W&N. It was fine. Just take your time and make sure the quilt is well supported so you don't have drag while doing the quilting.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:13 AM

Welcome to this great board. I agree that Warm & Natural batting is quite warm and this is the only batting I usually use. Once in awhile I use Hobbs 80/20 but I feel W&N is just as warm
Old 11-30-2019, 08:10 AM

Thank you Tartan! I am backing with flannel - in the hopes it will be cozy and shrink at a similar rate. I called Moda customer service a week ago and they confirmed that 1/4" seam would be ok with the charm packs. I may use 3/8" on the backing since that was 'cut straight' as opposed to the 'teeth' of the charm square cut. Thank you for the great info on the poly batting too!
Old 11-30-2019, 08:12 AM

Thank you Patski! I love it - very calming.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:18 AM

Thank you NJ Quilter! I'm goin to have to figure something for the support. I can see what you mean as I piece together smaller groups of rows to the larger piece. It is more cumbersome to push through, despite the large table that came with the soprano.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:23 AM

Thank you Sewing Pup! I am excited. I love the feel of the flannel and that's why I don't want to over quilt it. Sounds like you make some wonderful quilts!