Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Newbie in Mississauga needs advice on Sewing Machines.

Blog Entries
    I have spent over $1,000 on new machines, but I keep going back to my 301A and my vintage Viking and New Home as my favorite machines. My least favorite thing about new machines is that I cannot just sit down and start sewing. You may already own a great machine for quilting. A lot of beautiful quilts were made on those older machines. Besides it is more fun to purchase fabric.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Power Poster
    When we went to buy a computer, the sales people asked "what do you want to do with/on it?"

We knew very very little about computers, so the question was difficult to answer. I knew I wanted e-mail, a word processing program, and a spread sheet. That was about all I knew for sure.

So it is with sewing machines - how do I know I might want a feature if I have never heard of it?

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    ..........how do I know I might want a feature if I have never heard of it?
    Totally understand what you mean!

However, that is what test driving is all about.
    At a dealer. Or in a friend's home. Or in a sewing/quilting class.
    Or talking with other quilters, virtually or IRL.

Though for me, it is all about experience ... I don't get the real feel for a feature until I have used it for a while. That's the benefit of trying it out for more than just a store test drive or demo.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

a good website to go to for research is allbrands.com. They have listings for all kinds of machines so you can analyze the different features, etc.
    Sally

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2