Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie needs advice... >

Newbie needs advice...

Newbie needs advice...

Old 10-13-2012, 04:09 PM

I don't prewash anything and as soon as I put the last stitch in the binding I throw the quilt in the washer. I love a fresh washed quilt!
Old 10-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

I pre-wash everything. Many of those who don't either test each fabric or pre-wash everything will eventually have a problem. Maybe an occasional problem isn't enough reason to pre-wash. It's your decision. Are you feeling lucky? LOL
Old 10-13-2012, 04:59 PM

Its a personal preference, many do, many do not, really it depends on what type of fabrics and colors you are using, some bleed more than others. Its your choice. If you do decide not to wash it is recommended to use synthrapol or color catchers to catch suspended dye in the wash cycle. the batting shrinks and it is what is causes most of the wrinkly look which many like anyway since that is how traditional quilts looked. To me its more of a hassle, all the washing, all the ironing, extra work, but thats just me, and my quilts look just fine with the shrinkage
Old 10-13-2012, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
.... Aside from needing to iron a lot more if you prewash, it's also a good idea to starch the washed fabric to add back some stability for cutting and piecing.
If I pull the fabric from the dryer, as soon as it stops, I RARELY have to iron more than the crease, on which I fold the fabric. I hardly ever use starch.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:42 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have NEVER prewashed any fabric and have made so many quilts. I always wash them after I make them and have never had any bleeding. They always crinkle, which I want to happen. I iron the fabric before I sew it. I don't want to wash it before I sew it and have to iron it really well. I don't want it preshrunk. I like the crinkly quilt. Lots of quilters don't prewash.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:02 PM

I would prewash for a couple of reasons. As mentioned you want to avoid bleeding...I always add a Tide color catcher sheet to the wash just to be on the safe side when washing fabrics that are not the same color. Second, there are less problems with fabric distortion around quilted designs and in the overall quilt. I always use 100% cotton fabric in all of my quilts because of the softness, and for a baby blanket it would definitely be the fabric I would use.