Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
newbie question!!! >

newbie question!!!

newbie question!!!

Old 06-26-2011, 11:58 AM

Strip piecing is my favorite way to piece but everybody has to figure out their own ways of doing things. All I can think to tell you is that you should buy a bit more fabric of each in case your cutting the strips smaller leaves you getting less portions per strip than the directions call for. My only quilt using flannel (and I was pretty experienced by the time I tried it) stretched to pieces and was annoying to work with....Good Luck---and I hope you don't have the same problems that I had!!!!
Old 06-26-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by teacherbailey
Strip piecing is my favorite way to piece but everybody has to figure out their own ways of doing things. All I can think to tell you is that you should buy a bit more fabric of each in case your cutting the strips smaller leaves you getting less portions per strip than the directions call for. My only quilt using flannel (and I was pretty experienced by the time I tried it) stretched to pieces and was annoying to work with....Good Luck---and I hope you don't have the same problems that I had!!!!

It *IS* soooo stretchy. I really regret my choices. I did finally get my 18 nine piece squares.....as you can tell, not all of them came together perfectly. the stretchy-ness of the fabric made it hard.
My Mom is teling me to put the whole thing together and not to worry too much about the squares not being perfect as it is not a showpiece (ha ha haha..) so I probably will for the experience. and then, back to cotton, and hopefully not making the same mistakes in cotton.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-217078.jpe  
Old 06-26-2011, 12:12 PM

Love the idea of shorter strips to make it more manageable! I tried the selvedge to selvedge way and had a mess when the cats started playing in the middle of them. It's also easier to use up more scraps and get more variety.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:05 PM

You need to do what works best for you. :)
Old 06-26-2011, 03:55 PM

If the squares aren't lining up you might want to use some spray statch on them. You can spray the blocks you've already done too.I've never used flannel but others have said it helps. Post a picture when your'e done.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Originally Posted by mizunogirl
Ahh, I have a June Taylor "perfect Diamond" cutter, but...will look for the shape cutter... it's my first time working with flannel, and oddly, while it is cotton, it does not act like regular cotton.
It is going to stretch in weird ways, especially if not prewashed. I think it stretches even when prewashed though. I just finished my queen size rail fence and I was glad to be finished!!!
Would starching help?
Old 06-26-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by mizunogirl
Thank you all. I am going to go back and cut some strips, and turn the AC down for the flannel, and hope for the best.

I just kept thinking, what is so easy about this HUGE strip of fabric!
Just cut the 'Width Of Fabric' strips in half. Much easier, and just as fast. I don't sew straight enough when I try to sew 'WOF' strips either.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by lynnsim
I don't know what pattern you're using, but this is the one I always use for my scrappy strip blocks: http://home.pmt.org/~awalter/string.html. They are addictive! Remember, when you're cutting the strips, watch your ruler; no matter how hard you try, it keeps moving a smidgen. Maybe you could try this pattern the next time?
Also, for baby quilts, I like cotton on top and flannel on back. That way, flannel is next to baby, but you get ease of working with cotton.
Good Luck!
I really like this idea. I don't like working with flannel either and when I use up what I have. No more for me.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:34 PM

If you want the units to finish at 2" you need to add 1/4" for each 2" block (for your seam allowance). cut the strips at 2 1/2" wide then cut off the salvedge and measure the strip. Divide that strip by 2 1/2" . Then you can cut the strips into manageable lengths without too much waste. I hope I've helped :wink: