Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newbie with a question

Hi All
    Have been lurking for a while and found this forum with lots of good info.
    I am learning how to quilt. I just finished the top. I did the Fence Rail. Needed something real simple to start out with and if I do say myself, the top turned out nice. All the seams matched.

Now I can't seem to find out if I put the boarder on next or do I do the batting and back next and do the boarder last? Also is this a quilt I do the the stitch in the ditch? And at what stage do I do that?

Thanks for all your help.
    Have a great weekend.

Welcome to the board from St. Louis! Definitely put the border on first! Then layer it with the batting and backing. This would be a good one to stitch in the ditch (which actually means you stitch 1/8 of an inch off the ditch) - you can stair step the quilting. Be sure to use a walking foot if you are going to have the feed dogs raised! :lol:

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    Welcome from Dallas, Texas.

We love pictures here. Let us see what you are working on.

Yup. Borders first.

Welcome from Southern California

Welcome from Maryland... I agree borders first.

Blog Entries
    I'm new here too and I have learned a lot from these talented posters. One thing I didn't know to do for a long time is if I had more than one border to put on a quilt, sew the borders together first. This way you only have to wrestle the whole quilt top one time in the machine to get the borders sewn on.

Welcome to the board!
    You will find some great advice and wonderful people here!
    Ask your questions...you will get alot of answers.
    Normally you do your quilt top, with borders then "sandwich" the quilt with top-batting-backing.
    You baste or pin these layers together, securely...then quilt as desired.
    Then square is all up, evening up all edges then do the binding...stitching it to the top layer to flip over to the backing and finished by hand.
    This is how I do it but I am sure others will chime in with their methods and helpful hints.
    Kirsten

Hi and Welcome from southern Indiana!

Welcome from NE CA. Glad you found us. If you want a border, that comes next. Then you make your sandwich. You can stitch in the ditch, you can stitch to the side of the ditch, you can tie it, you can meander, basically you can do it anyway you want. After, it quilted/tied/however, then you put the binding on. When you're done, don't forget to show us pictures. We love pictures as you probably already know.

Welcome!

Don't forget to pin well and don't use straight pins to pin after you sandwich it, use either safety pins or quilting safety pins or you can use that gun with the plastic thingys.

Thanks for the welcome and all the replies. I just made my first mistake. I wanted my border to be 2". So what do I do, I cut the fabric 2 1/2"! That just didn't work out right. What was I thinking. The bad thing is I'm out of border fabric. I hope the store still has some of that fabric left.

Just so I get this right. Do I sew the border to the front of the quilt first (only) and then sandwich, then top stitch or tie, then sew the binding to the back? Here's hoping someone can understand what I'm saying. There is no quilting group in the town I live in. I live 1 1/2 hours outside of Vegas so not able to get to Vegas anytime I want.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Are you doing a whole border with mitered corners or four strips? If you are doing four strips then sew the top border then the bottom border then each side or vice versa. If you are doing one border all around the quilt with mitered corners start sewing it on in the lower half of one side, not at a corner. Sew the border on then layer the quilt, baste, and quilt. The binding will be sewn to the quilt after the quilting is done. I hope this helps. I'm thinking a border cut 2 1/2 will be a 2 inch border-- 1/4 for the seam on the quilt and 1/4 for the seam on the binding.

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    Did you cut them to length and that is why you are short? If so, put a contrast color of fabric in each corner.

Banned
    Sounds like a great quilt. Welcome from WA

Welcome from Illinois!

Dingle,

It sounds like you have the word border confused with binding. Binding is the strip of cloth you sew on the front of the quilt after you finish quilting it and wrap it to the back then hand whipstitch or machine in the ditch stitch to hold it down. Any quilt can have several borders. Those are put on surrounding the middle where the pattern is. They act like a frame or matting on a picture. The "binding" covers and seals the raw edges of the finished front, batting and binding.

I hope this doesn't confuse you more.

Blog Entries
    Hi & welcome to the board! From reading the thread, I think that I agree with mrspeedy...do you mean binding? or do you mean border? It would make a huge difference in our advice for your next step as they are 2 totally different things.

I got confused with all the terms when I first started quilting. You know that like everything else..it has a language all its own :wink:

mpspeedy you're right, I did mean the binding. Thats what I needed to know it what order it's assembled. So am I right about doing the top, then sew the binding to the top, then sandwich, then tie or stitch in the ditch, then turn the binding to the back? Do I have it right now? Thanks for your help.

mplsgirl, I lived it Rockford for 26 years. Moved to NV 18 years ago. My Sister use to live in Roscoe. I love the desert and winter only lasts a couple months here, but I sure do miss the green, fresh rain and squirrels! My brother still lives in Loves Park. I do not miss your winters. Last month we had a freak "snow storm". Got about 1" and it lasted about 6 hours then it was all gone. That's my kind of winter!

Nice to meet you.

Blog Entries
    OK, now that you've clarified...here is what you do. Sew together your quilt top however you'd like -including BORDERS. This is the step that I think you've already done...so

Next is the sandwiching step. Cut your backing to be approximately 4" or so wider AND longer than your top. Lay it pretty side DOWN on your surface. Lay your batting (also cut larger than your top) as the next layer.
    Top with the top of your quilt. Baste, then quilt. Be sure to read threads on this board about sandwiching and basting for some excellent tips
    Now...you square up your top(trim the excess making sure the sides/top/bottom) are all straight). Now is when you sew on your BINDING. I like the double fold, so I cut mine 2 1/2" or 2 1/4". Make 1 long strip...long enough to go all the way around the quilt plus a little extra. Fold the binding in half (longways) with wrong sides together and press. Place the raw edge to the edge of your squared off quilt on the FRONT side and sew on using your walking foot. There are lots of good tutorials on this board about how to put on binding and how to do the mitered corners Flip it over to the back side and attach with your chosen method.

Good Luck!!

Blog Entries
    These posts are just like the talk my sewing buddies and I get into at our sew days. :D :D :D :D Someone will say something and they mean something different and a whole lot of confusion will develop and at the end it's OH well that makes sense now. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(
    Don't worry you did not make a mistake if you cut it like that. Like Bella said, the half inch is taken up by 1/4 inch seam when you attach it to the quilt and 1/4 inch seam when you attach the binding.
    Listen to me, I am a new quilter too and here I am giving you advice. The people here are great and very helpful.
    I find that you learn with each one you do. I remember when I made my first quilt and the triangles on some of the blocks did not match perfectly when I sewed them together. I wanted to rip them all out but did not have the time because it was a Christmas present for my son and his family. My sister told me, hey those tiny mistakes are what make it more precious and she is right. I have learned to lighten up. I still try and match my blocks as best as I can but I try not to stress if I cannot do it. I do not plan on showing them, I make them for the pleasure it gives me and for the people I love.
    Listen, now that you know the border will be ok, go buy some more fabric, you never have enough!! LOL :lol:
    Don't forget the pictures when you are done.

To Dingle, If there is no Fabric left for border, why not try a corner square of some other matching fabric. :roll:

Welcome from Tennessee.....

Blog Entries
    Good for you on finishing your top. I made one for my daughter many years ago. If you are adding sashing strips around the top do that now. and then make a sandwich consisting of the top, the batting and the backing. It's best done on a big table or the floor. Then you either baste through all layers or you pin them together using many, many pins. Make sure you backing and batting are larger than your top, you can trim these after you have quilted. Start quilting from the middle out. I use a PVC pipe frame and hand quilt but you can quilt it on the machine in the same manner.Remove the pins as you go. When your don trim you back and batting a little larger (1/4inch) than the finished top.The binding is the last thing to go on. I use binding I've made from material . Usually mine is 2 and 1/2 wide material I've pressed in half and sewn to the top side of the quilt. I lay the folded strip with the fold towards the inside of the quilt top and sew 1/4 inch all around the quilt.putting the ends one in side the other at the start/end point and then I flip it over and do a tiny stitch on the back side. If you have any questions there are many people on this site to help you when you get stuck.Watch some of the tutorials, they are really helpful Good luck, show us when you're done.

Why didn't it work out right? 2-1/2" wide strips make 2" wide borders, allowing for a 1/4" seam on each side. Is it too short? If so, supplement with blocks (cut 2-1/2" x 2/1'2") and add the blocks before you sew the border to the rest of the quilt top. Putting on the binding is the final step. My personal preference is to machine stitch it to the top and hand stitch it on the bottom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast