Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie Question >

Newbie Question

Newbie Question

Old 06-02-2010, 09:54 AM

I enjoy making a bias binding. The seams are all finished and staggered when you sew it on and it is suppose to be stronger. I like prairie points
Old 06-02-2010, 10:05 AM

Don't apologize for asking a question! That's what we are here for! I have only made bias binding once, it was for some placemats that had a curved edge. Everything else has been straight binding, cut selvage to selvage. I also prefer the 2 1/2 inch width. I would suggest looking up some other ways to do the binding, and find the one you are most comfortable with. There really is no "right" or "wrong" way to do it, just as long as it works for you!
Also, there is a definite learning curve to quilting, and I don't think any one of us knows everything! It's just like anything else, practice makes better and better (I don't think it's made anyone perfect! lol)
We are always here for you, keep asking questions in your quilting journey! It's how we learn!

Ok, sorry for this post being so long!! :oops:

Also, welcome to the board!! Glad to have you with us!
Old 06-02-2010, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
I've attached a link that shows you how much binding that you would need for either straight or bais bindings. Hope this helps out.
This has all been such wonderful information. (and so quick too) I think that since it is my first quilt I am going to go with the straight binding and this chart is excellent....I know that there will be a lot of mistakes in this quilt...but I am learning, and learning from my mistakes....If it doesn't turn out, I'll keep it here at my house and try again with something different....The grandsons always want to stay at Yaya's house, so now they will have a quilt to cover in...even though it might be a bit "baby" they'll keep warm...lol And I have decided to try hand quilting it....Machine quilting scares the bejebers out of me and I only have a little everyday run of the mill sewing machine...I think trying to machine quilt it would be too much... Thank you again I appreciate all this wonderful information and I like the idea of striped material for candy cane effect...I'll definately give that a whirl.... Cindy
Old 06-02-2010, 11:01 AM

Don't be scared of the run of the mill sewing machine. That's basically what I've used for 15 yrs. Just don't try FMQ off the bat, use your walking foot and go slow so you get the feel of it. Just make a sandwich and practice with your walking foot. I bet if you try SITD or outline you wouldn't find that as hard as you thought!!!

Please don't get me wrong, if I have the time handquilting is my preferred method. Very relaxing!!

Good Luck!!!! :thumbup:
Old 06-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Power Poster

Hi CindySue!
You are very smart to walk away for awhile. I can't tell you how many things I should have walked away from for a bit until I learned that things seem to look better when I took a break. Clears the mind!!
Good luck and ask away!! We do it all the time.
Hugs, Sue
Old 06-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

I like straight binding and use 205 inch width.