Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Next question for making 1st quilt (flannel for baby) >

Next question for making 1st quilt (flannel for baby)

Next question for making 1st quilt (flannel for baby)

Old 02-25-2012, 06:01 PM

I do things a bit different than some of the previous ladies.
I use a 1/2 inch seam when sewing with flannel.
I don't worry about non-flammable. The warning says "not suitable for children's sleepwear", so it doesn't really apply to blankets.
I don't use batting in the middle. I find that the 2 layers of flannel are nice and cozy without being too heavy.
I also don't use a walking foot. Sounds like I need to try it out.
Good luck!
Old 02-26-2012, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by flannelqueen View Post
II don't worry about non-flammable. The warning says "not suitable for children's sleepwear", so it doesn't really apply to blankets.
I'm sorry, but maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying??? Are you saying that when the warning says 'not suitable for children's sleepwear' that you don't use it for blankets/quilts or that you don't think the warning applies to blankets? Natural fibers (cotton/wool) burn. Synthetics melt. And can melt into a person's skin. I would think the warnings should be applicable to both.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:57 AM
Power Poster

ok---there is really no such thing as non-flammable flannel- it is cotton which will burn just like all of your other quilting fabrics----there are flannels on the market that have a non-flamable coating on them designed to be used for pajamas---the coating actually washes away in about 20 washes- the regular quilting flannels we buy say on them (not designed for childrens sleep ware) because the government says they have to say that- we all make flannel quilts including baby quilts with these flannels-
as for the bulk- i generally press to one side & nest rows so they line up nicely
batting in flannel quilts make wonderful, fluffy/cozy/snuggly quilts i (personally) do not like flat quilts- but that is my opinion- especially where there are many seams involved- the batting pads all those seams-
but it is up to you whether or not you choose to use batting- if for a baby in a cold climate i recommend it though.
if you do use batting a walking foot is helpful but can be done without if you lengthen your stitch length- the pressure of the foot and stitch slowly.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltMe View Post
Hello Vi,
I have been quilting for 17 years but I am not a know-it-all but through my experience I would like to share my thoughts. 1. I always use 1/4 " seam allowances, less bulk when quilting. 2. Definitely use your walking foot even if there is no batting. 3. Why? Because flannel is squirrely, and it will assure the top and bottom fabrics are being pulled through equally. This prevents puckering. 4. Your tension should be fine unless you see it is not stitching the same on the front and back. 5. Stitch length 2.0- 2.2 is what I use on flannel. Now I have a question? Why no batting? Curious. I agree with the other gals ...it would make the quilt smoother and less bumpy. Also, I hope you are using non-flammable flannel since it is for a wee one. Happy Quilting! Peg
It has been my understanding that the chemical that fabric is soaked in to make it non-flammable will wash out in a few washings.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:06 AM

About the non flammable issue - they add chemicals to the fabric to make it fire retardant. UGH!!! A little baby breathing in those "toxic" fumes (IMO) - is awlful.