Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: NFL quilt.....yikes!

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,657
    I haven't quilted in years. But I'm getting ready to take the plunge. I really hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew. I plan to make a twin sized quilt for my sons birthday (complete with matching curtains and newly painted room.) I guess I'm not overly excited with the "theme"~~all fabrics from ALL the NFL teams. I'm just having a hard time getting pumped up to work on a major project that doesn't have an overall color theme...

    It would be a whole lot easier if he was a fan of one particular team, not the entire NFL!!!

    So, look for me lurking around here. I'll need inspiration and motivation....There will be scissors put to fabric Monday as soon as he goes back to school!

  2. #2
    Super Member omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,053
    Well ... why not consider a good-sized square in a square so that the NFL piece for all the different teams - - each square would be highlighted by a contrasting color of some kind.
    How many different teams are there? Maybe 17?
    I just received some pieces from the hmmm ... Raiders (black and silver/gray)? Is that the one?
    I would be more than glad to send some to you ...
    I will have to tell Amma about your thread. Maybe she could show you some interesting settings for that type of theme.
    I would guess that you would need a good sized square ... consider different fabrics for the side triangles ... and maybe a bit of an intricate sashing ... just to add some intrigue and size to your endeavor ...

  3. #3
    missbehavin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Desloge, MO
    Posts
    132
    I am a big fan of NFL.. but I do have a favorite team.. So I thought I would add my two cents just in case it might help.. The main colors to the NFL are red, white and blue.. If you go to their site you find their logos.. Might make a nice center piece to your quilt and maybe you could use those as a main color.. What is your sons favorite color? I don't have any NFL fabric or I would try and help out there.. That is my two cents, I hope it might be helpful..

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,657
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    Well ... why not consider a good-sized square in a square so that the NFL piece for all the different teams - - each square would be highlighted by a contrasting color of some kind.
    How many different teams are there? Maybe 17?
    I just received some pieces from the hmmm ... Raiders (black and silver/gray)? Is that the one?
    I would be more than glad to send some to you ...
    I will have to tell Amma about your thread. Maybe she could show you some interesting settings for that type of theme.
    I would guess that you would need a good sized square ... consider different fabrics for the side triangles ... and maybe a bit of an intricate sashing ... just to add some intrigue and size to your endeavor ...
    I had had some of the same thoughts....I'm eager to see how it turns out, I just hope I'm not disappointed...

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,657
    Quote Originally Posted by missbehavinnow
    I am a big fan of NFL.. but I do have a favorite team.. So I thought I would add my two cents just in case it might help.. The main colors to the NFL are red, white and blue.. If you go to their site you find their logos.. Might make a nice center piece to your quilt and maybe you could use those as a main color.. What is your sons favorite color? I don't have any NFL fabric or I would try and help out there.. That is my two cents, I hope it might be helpful..
    I was thinking of the red and blue as well~~~I purchased some blue fabric with white stars and white fabric with red stars to use as accents....

    And, ironically, I had planned to paint the NFL logo on his wall. Great minds must think alike :)

    I'm down to trying to figure out what to back it with, and bind it with. I found a print that is just footballs, so I may try that and see what I think...

  6. #6
    Super Member janRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    western Pa
    Posts
    4,602
    I think it sounds like a fun quilt. If you need some Steelers fabric PM me and I'd be glad to share some.
    Good luck with your project and please post pictures of your progress.

  7. #7
    missbehavin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Desloge, MO
    Posts
    132
    sounds perfect!!!

  8. #8
    Junior Member DONK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BLANCHESTER,OHIO
    Posts
    224
    [quote=BKinCO]I haven't quilted in years. But I'm getting ready to take the plunge. I really hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew. I plan to make a twin sized quilt for my sons birthday (complete with matching curtains and newly painted room.) I guess I'm not overly excited with the "theme"~~all fabrics from ALL the NFL teams. I'm just having a hard time getting pumped up to work on a major project that doesn't have an overall color theme...

    It would be a whole lot easier if he was a fan of one particular team, not the entire NFL!!!

    So, look for me lurking around here. I'll need inspiration and motivation....There will be scissors put to fabric Monday as soon as he goes back to school.

    My son's loves nfl too but its only one team. The new england patriots. I made him a rag quilt and then a pillow case too match only not rag. I will try and post pics in pictures.

  9. #9
    Super Member omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,053
    The football fabric all over the back sounds TERRIFIC!

    ANd, that red/white/and blue stuff .... I SHOULD have mentioned that! I am glad others read and have my back .
    Don't worry about liking the WHOLE quilt ... just like one block at a time.
    It is most interesting how GOOD a quilt will look when the boy is snuggling under it ... while not so good right under your nose ... being loved makes EVERYTHING look good .
    ANd, do not post your address or anything else on this thread ... pm people or have them PM you (PM-Private Message) ... your privacy and security is a good thing to keep as long as possible ... The thread is PUBLIC ... the PM is private ... okay?

  10. #10
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,088
    Blog Entries
    1
    There is some NFL fabric that I seen a while ago, it had ALL of the teams logos all over it... That might be interesting too :wink:

  11. #11
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,956
    Wow, at least my son like just one team. It could be fun shopping for all the fabric though.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,657
    Thanks for all the lovely offers of fabrics! Luckily I was able to purchase fat quarters from each team online, and they arrived yesterday. I laid them out and I guess they didn't look so bad together....some teams have both dark and light background fabrics, and I am trying to choose the dark background. Most of them seem to be dark.

    I'm starting to feel a little better about this project~ I can see I will find plenty of support here from my new friends :)

  13. #13
    Super Member Dawn Hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wilson, NC
    Posts
    1,661
    Can't wait to see this in progress.. you might just inspire us to undertake it for our NFL fans...... My daughter heads back to CO on wednesday... she goes to NCU.

  14. #14
    Super Member omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,053
    It is so delightful to know that we can be of service to other quilters through this site.
    I can't praise the administrator and staff for this fine example of people working together for the better of all ... I have learned so much here!

  15. #15
    Power Poster MadQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ELVERTA, CA
    Posts
    15,495
    Blog Entries
    1
    If you use the team logos, those pieces should be relatively large and you should be done sooner. (If you can't tell, I've had to suffer through some "have to" quilts. lol)

    Simple sashing as a border would make a real nice simple quilt. Try to have fun with it - just think of how much the recipient is going to love it.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Hendrix
    Can't wait to see this in progress.. you might just inspire us to undertake it for our NFL fans...... My daughter heads back to CO on wednesday... she goes to NCU.
    Don't know where you are on the East Coast, but it's chilly willy here :) Of course, she's headed to a different part of the state than I'm in so she may be better off than we are....

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,657
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    If you use the team logos, those pieces should be relatively large and you should be done sooner. (If you can't tell, I've had to suffer through some "have to" quilts. lol)

    Simple sashing as a border would make a real nice simple quilt. Try to have fun with it - just think of how much the recipient is going to love it.
    LOL..."have to" quilts....it doesn't help that I went to the LQS today and saw lots and lots of OTHER projects I'd rather be working on.....but.......I'm sure I'll suffer through :lol:

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,657
    OK, So I was going to attach some pictures here of the fabrics I've chosen.....

    But then I was thinking...should I post those here or in the Personal Diaries section??? I'm still learning my way around here....

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,657
    What the heck, I'll put them here and if they need to be moved I'm sure I can figure that out :)

    These are the "background" fabrics:
    Attached Images Attached Images

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,657
    And here's all the team fabrics
    Attached Images Attached Images

  21. #21
    Panther Creek Quilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central Missouri Backwoods
    Posts
    797
    Oh those will be awesome! I think that with those background fabrics, you should be able to match most of any of the teams colors or at least have acomplimentary contrast (hope that makes sense). I am a big fan of the NFL and one team in particular (GO CHIEFS!) I think this would be a perfect quilt for a little boy interested in football.

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther Creek Quilting
    Oh those will be awesome! I think that with those background fabrics, you should be able to match most of any of the teams colors or at least have acomplimentary contrast (hope that makes sense). I am a big fan of the NFL and one team in particular (GO CHIEFS!) I think this would be a perfect quilt for a little boy interested in football.
    Yes, this is for my soon-to-be 8 year old son who is an absolute football fanatic. He can name every player on every team and what position he plays. Kind of freaks me out. :shock:

    Now, of course, his daddy is saying he wants one for himself, but it can only have the Steelers in it!

  23. #23
    Super Member wesing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    East TN
    Posts
    1,822
    I see you already have your non-NFL fabrics, but could you do a block for each team with complimentary fabrics to highlight that team? Someone mentioned square-in-a-square; the inside square could be the team, and solid or reads-as-solid fabrics would surround it.

    I'm sure whatever you do will be great with all the colors and mascots.

    Darren

  24. #24
    Super Member omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,053
    Good show!
    This is EXACTLY where you post everything pertaining to your NFL quilt ... You may want to (when you have the quilt completed) also post thread in "Pictures" and then link that thread back to this one ... then just sit back and wait for the compliments :thumbup:

  25. #25
    Super Member janRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    western Pa
    Posts
    4,602
    Awesome fabric. I love how you were able to get all the teams. Can I ask where you ordered them?

    Hubby has great taste!! I've made 2 Steelers quilts-he'd love them LOL!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.