Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
night and day >

night and day

night and day

Old 01-19-2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by shadoh
i bought the book by Eleanor Burns (love her)..first reading so confusing, so particular with accuracy (*not my best quality)
now i see a 6 hour class offered by my LQS for 65 $ ..
money is tight right now and am wondering if it would be worthwhile to take it or use the money for fabric and just have a go at it with the book only. any thoughts out there.?? xo for replying,..ps.. love love this site.
Just like quilterella said and you could always ask help from this site. We love to help each other!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 09:40 PM

I have the book & just followed the directions to make the twin size. It turned out great, my great grand daughter loved it. I t was a little confusing at first, but turned ou fine. The bonus quilts from the cut scraps are small, but can be used with sashing etc. I can't post pictures since my digital camera was stolen.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:02 PM

I also did an Eleanor Burns quilt from one of her books recently and the same when I first read it I thought it seemed confusing but when I started the quilt it was so easy to follow I think its because she pays alot of attention to detail and gives lots of advice and takes you back to basics reminded me of how things should be done instead of 'my' way!!! lol and would definitely choose fabric over a class - go for it am sure you will be able to do it once you start - just take it a page at a time
Old 01-19-2011, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by jlong
I bought her Orion's Star book and at first glance, it was confusing. I made four practice blocks that ended up as a wall hanging. I mastered her techniques and loved her methods. She is better than any class that you can take. I want to buy her "day and night" book. Keep us informed on your progress.
love the quilt
Old 01-19-2011, 11:23 PM

Used to live in area that I would take a class after talking with my quilt buddys (4 of us used to quilt & shop together). We would go over a list of classes the same with quilt books, etc.. & each talk about what we wanted to learn, etc.. and who had time for what classes. Then we would each pick from the list that we all had & each one of us would take 1 class and teach the others how to do that project. We saved a lot of time and money (all of us where single working mothers at the time - so money and time was very tight). So for a $60.00 class if only one class was being taken the we each paid $15.00, but if we all took a class we each paid for our own class and we still had a good deal.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:46 PM

Eleanor has a free video on her site that shows you how to make the day and night quilt....I saved it to my computer now, but only had the book and template and they turned out fine...just take your time....
Old 01-19-2011, 11:49 PM

here is where the video is hope this works
http://www.quiltinaday.com/theater/3100/3110.html
http://www.quiltinaday.com/theater/3100/3111.html
Old 01-20-2011, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
Night and Day is not one of her videos on her site.

I agree on the price....

So with everything El, just take one step at a time..... don't look ahead. Do it exactly the way she says and it will turn out right.
yes it is, I just watched it and am buying her book also. Ruth
Old 01-20-2011, 01:32 AM

I think that I would find a tute on the method you are wanting to try. Many others may have just what you need be it help or tutes. I love watching the tutes as we all continue to learn new ways all of the time. Yeah I would spend my money for fabric. You know that idea of swapping fabrics is a good idea also. Marvel
Old 01-20-2011, 03:10 AM

Lovely quilt. I aslo have several of her books & need to use them.

Originally Posted by jlong
I bought her Orion's Star book and at first glance, it was confusing. I made four practice blocks that ended up as a wall hanging. I mastered her techniques and loved her methods. She is better than any class that you can take. I want to buy her "day and night" book. Keep us informed on your progress.