Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Nintendo Zelda Pixelated Quilt - How to Quilt?? >

Nintendo Zelda Pixelated Quilt - How to Quilt??

Nintendo Zelda Pixelated Quilt - How to Quilt??

Old 11-28-2020, 10:47 AM

Default Nintendo Zelda Pixelated Quilt - How to Quilt??

I just finished a quilt top for my son. It is a pixelated quilt of the Nintendo game Zelda.

I'm asking for suggestions on how to quilt it.

The pixels are finished at .75", although I grouped sections of the same color together, Fabrics used are solids for the images and a marble for the background.

My thought is to quilt it using an invisible thread or a 100 wt grey with straight vertical lines spaced 3" apart.

Seams are pressed open, so stitch in the ditch is not an option. As a note - I don't normally press seams open, but found it to be the best option for accuracy. Thread is an 80 wt and stich length is 1.5". My son is in his 30's and the quilt will more likely be displayed, rather than used.

Any suggestions, please?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails link.jpg   zelda-top.jpg  
Old 11-28-2020, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

Cool top! If it is going to be a wall hanging then invisible thread is fine. I don’t like using invisible thread on a bed quikt but that is just my preference. I think if I was going to do line quilting, I would space the lines closer together like in modern quilts. If you are quilting on your sewing machine, I might do the lines across the quilt since those lines will be shorter. If you have a long arm, I might mount it sideways and use the channel locks to do narrow lines vertical.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:51 AM

Great thoughts, Tartan!

I was first planning on sewing the lines at every other pixel, which would make the lines 1.5" apart. Then I thought maybe every 3" to reduce the amount of lines that will be seen. Even with invisible thread, the quilting is more pronounced than I like. But you're right, maybe closer would be better.

I also was first planning on using my domestic machine, which has a generous throat space. My other thought is to rent longarm time (with a business I have done this with several times). I have to investigate how well that Gammill does with invisible thread. And yes, i would load it the long way and use channel locks.

Thanks so much!

Old 11-28-2020, 12:35 PM

The Legend of Zelda series is one of my favorite game series. Your quilt is absolutely fantastic! Quilting the triangle shape of the Triforce from the game would look neat, too.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:45 PM

Wonderful top. When the design is obviously squares, I do a diagonal hatchwork.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:04 AM

Default Nintendo Zelda Pixelated Quilt - Done!

It's done, and headed off soon to my son!!

I tried to straight line quilt it myself, but was not happy with the results. So I sent it to a long arm quilter I know I love how it came out! Overall size 70" x 88".

Sharing in case you are interested:

* EQ8 was used for designing images and overall lay out. Design credit to my son, a gamer.
* Fabric: Michael Miller Cotton Couture solids; Maywood Shadowplay "Evergreen" for the background and backing
* Individual pixels cut at 1.25" square and finish at .75" square. This standard measurement was used for larger sections.
* Machine needle: Size 60 Superior Microtex Sharp
* Thread for construction: QS Para-Cotton Poly 80 weight
* Thread for quilting: Aurifil Invisible
* Quilting pattern: "Abacus" from Urban Elements
* Batting: Quilters Dream Orient

Attached Thumbnails zelda-quilt-complete_1.jpg  
Old 01-30-2021, 04:05 PM

Beautiful!!!!!
Old 01-30-2021, 06:07 PM

It looks fantastic! Great quilting. 👍