Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No Fabric Boycott Needed - Inform Yourself >

No Fabric Boycott Needed - Inform Yourself

No Fabric Boycott Needed - Inform Yourself

Old 12-02-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by QKO View Post
It's a requirement by the licensor of the images that the fabric manufacturer print this on their fabrics. It's a limitation on who the manufacturer can sell the fabrics to. The manufacturer (and distributors) are not allowed to sell the licensed products into manufacturing situations.

Once it gets to the retail level, and thus to the crafter, the statements on the selvedge are no longer applicable.
The thing is, it's showing up on fabrics that are NOT licensed images at all (like polka dots and florals), just plain ol' ordinary copyrighted fabric designs. Most of us are okay with limits, perceived or actual, on licensed designs, but when someone says you can't sell a quilt made with a red and white polka dot that has 'not for commercial use' on the selvage (and no mention of licensed anything anywhere), that's just plain absurd so why print it at all.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:00 PM
QKO

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
To me this makes no sense at all, since what is printed on the selvage cannot be enforced anyway. Any requirement on the manufacturer would have to be spelled out in a written contract between the licensor and the manufacturer, not written on the selvages. I think Holice is right and we don't have enough information regarding what the fabric manufacturer is trying to achieve with this notice (other than irritating all of us quilters, and that is definitely not in their best interests).

Edited to add - and I'm still not going to buy any fabric with any restrictions printed on it, just because I'm irritated by it! That's really the only control I have over the situation, and I plan to exercise it.
The contract between the designer and the manufacturer spells out what is printed on the selvedge. So it's really a restriction on the manufacturer as to what markets the manufacturer can sell into.

The ones that bug me are the ones that say "Use beyond individual consumption requires a license." That's also dictated by the designer/licensor, but is very misleading to the end consumer, upon whom there is actually no restriction as to how they can use it, up to and including making it up and selling it publicly.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QKO View Post
The contract between the designer and the manufacturer spells out what is printed on the selvedge. So it's really a restriction on the manufacturer as to what markets the manufacturer can sell into.

The ones that bug me are the ones that say "Use beyond individual consumption requires a license." That's also dictated by the designer/licensor, but is very misleading to the end consumer, upon whom there is actually no restriction as to how they can use it, up to and including making it up and selling it publicly.
My point is that printing something on the selvage has no legal standing whatsoever, so why put it there when it will only annoy the end user?
Old 12-02-2011, 04:00 PM
QKO

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
My point is that printing something on the selvage has no legal standing whatsoever, so why put it there when it will only annoy the end user?
Probably to discourage the manufacturer from selling it into unauthorized situations. Say I license an image to you for making fabrics, with the express condition that you not sell it to anyone that is intending on manufacturing items made from it. I also require you to put a "not for manufacture" type warning on the selvedge.

You manufacture it, then contrary to the agreement, sell a thousand bolts to a sweat shop, who then makes a million articles of clothing bearing my licensed image and looking like authorized products. They show up at Wal-mart and it's clearly an unauthorized product pretending to be an authorized, licensed product.

I get the government to go in and raid the sweatshop. With the warning on the selvedge, I have a lot better chance at proving that you, the manufacturer, or one of your authorized distributors broke the terms of the agreement.

In that case, it would in fact have legal standing. However if you, the manufacturer sell it to a retailer, which is authorized under our agreement, I lose control at that point of anything that's done with the product bearing my copyrighted or licensed images.

You're right, it has no legal standing in the retail user context, but it may very well have legal standing in the wholesale/manufacturing context.

I agree, it would be a lot smarter for them to clarify this rather than to leave it up in the air.

But it's put on there either by dictate from the designer, or by the manufacturer trying to cover their own behinds. Just more living proof that there are too many lawyers... :-)

Last edited by QKO; 12-02-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:51 PM

Thank you for setting the record straight!
Old 12-10-2011, 08:23 AM

Many of us are stlll uncomfortable with the "warnings" on the selvage. Frankly I personally will not buy fabric with such selvage messages because it is unpleasant, threatening and the final word is not consistent. If enough fabric buyers didn't buy fabric with that printed on it we might see an end to the threatening or limiting selvage notes. I don't buy at stores who are known to be unfair to their employees, sell sweatshop items, or buy from sources who have lack of quality control related issues repeatdly. I am simply adding "limiting selvage messages" to my list.