Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No frame/no hoop ??????

No frame/no hoop ??????

I'm fairly new to hand quilting and I can't seem to get the hang of using a round hoop or any kind of frame. When I sandwich the quilt, I pin, pin, pin making sure everything is tight and smooth. Then I basically use a small frame to keep the quilt from falling on the floor and keeping it directly off my lap and quilt in my lap. Any one else do that and is it easier for you than quilting on a frame?

Absolutely IS easier for me..my hoop is about 18-20"--round...and I hoop the center first. I love to sit in a recliner or rocking chair with armrests--one side of the hoop rests on an armrest (right for me) and my left hand is under the hoop guiding my needle. It is soooo easy for me that I would never choose any other way--and I prefer my round hoop to my oval, even tho it has a stand. I just toss the quilt onto the bed, take the hoop off and move it to the next area. I hand baste my layers loosely and the sandwich stays together well enough to smoothe into the hoop at each change. It is just whatever you can get accustomed to that works best for you.

Oh, and I meant to add that I have done Q & K size quilts this way, and that I love having the quilt hanging down over my legs in the winter....keeps me cozy warm, and I'm about to start another right after the holidays! It's wintertime here.

With a red face I am admitting I don't use a frame or hoop usually with my small quilts. I get 8 or 9 stitches to an inch so it works for me.
    Linda Lee

"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

I quilt without any hoop or frame at all. Although I've never done a king size quilt I have done up to Queen with excellent results. I just baste well, pins or thread, and smooth as I go beginning in the center of the quilt. I use a sharp needle and a running stitch. I average about 8 stitchs an inch which is OK with me. As Mermaid said it is nice in the winter time to have that quilt draped over my body as I work!!

PS: I don't have any problem keeping the quilt square if it is squared before I begin.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

I'm so relieved to read this! I have a hoop, but try as I might I just can't get on with it, and so everything that I have done so far has been quilted without. I do rather OTT with basting it all together, but then I'm a 'belt and braces' kind of girl.

Blog Entries
    I bought this book years ago and it's the only way I hand quilt now. I have to baste the quilt much more but it's worth it. And the quilt pattern Star Spin is included in the book.

Hand Quilt without a Frame by Barbara Schaffeld

Got fabric?

I have never used a hoop or frame and have hand quilted king size - never had any problems I like having it all wrapped around me especially this time of year

Banned
    I've never used a frame. This is actually the first time I've used a hoop. I quilt with it all bunched on my lap on the couch. I found that working with a hoop is faster for me and made it easier to keep the quilt smooth but there was no difference in the number of stitches done. (about 7 an inch) My stitches will never be small and even and certainly not beautiful like the women do on here but I'm okay with that.

I use a PVC frame ...I can't pin that well, and stretch and smooth as I go

Blog Entries
    I've only hand quilted in strips then sewed them together as in lap quilting. Didn't use hoop.
    TwandasMom

I don't use a hoop and have done king size quilts this way. I just start in the middle and am careful to smooth it out every time I move to a new area. Much easier to get smaller, more uniform stitches.
    Nana Jan
    Friendships are gifts from God that should be cherished and nourished

I'm a lefty and just can't or refuse to use a hoop when hand quilting.......it's just more fun that way for me!
    Blessed are they that can laugh at themselves, For they shall never cease to be amused.

http://quiltsnmore.webs.com

I douse a lap hoop (Grace lap hoop about 18", kinda squarish with rounded corners), but my quilt is not taut in the hoop, it is very loose. I took a class with Luxine Newman (the Thimblelady) and that is how she teaches it. You can go to her website to see a short video. I use my underneath (left) hand to push it up and my dominant (right hand) with the thimble and needle to rock and make the my stitches.
    Last edited by Skyangel; 12-14-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Tried using a hoop and it was soooo awkward. Most of the women in my handquilting group do use hoops. So, I just pin it really well and quilt away. Amazingly, it feels right that way!

**I too am left handed, don't know if that makes a difference.

I have tried hoops and my arms and hands get too tired to hold them up after a while. I also like wrapping up in the quilt to work, it keeps me warm. If it gets too hard to hold up, I would drape it over the back of the couch and work that way, at least the weight would be supported by the couch and not your muscles. I guess fibro makes you adapt to what you can do instead of looking out for the quilt police........

Have been hand quilting forever. Tried using hoops and frames. Too aggravating and too tough on the lower back. I baste the daylights out of the quilt top, start in the middle and work out. Have even done as big as queen size.

I couldn't get used to using a hoop which has to be held, so I got a Hinterberg lap hoop and love it. It rotates and tips and is supported by a lap stand, so both hands are free. I keep the quilt sandwich very loose in the hoop, so I can manipulate the quilt just as easily as if there were no hoop. The advantage of using the hoop is that it keeps the layers smooth and lifts the quilt sandwich up for you.

I have only had quilted a small lap quilt. Used a hoop but wasn't comfortable with it. Will try the no hoop method next time

I have only handquilted on a frame or a large quilting hoop. My question is: has anyone ever used those little plastic things (like the ones that hold tags on clothes), only the ones for holding layers together are not as long......they are applied with a little "gun". That is what I use to hold the sandwich before quilting....here is a hint on applying....I bought one of those lite panels for drop ceilings..the one that is a small grid....and place the quilt on top and then shoot thru the holes........enought height so needle goes straight thru without marking whatever table you are working on. Before that I would hand baste the layers down....But I must confess, I have not h/q for several years....now l/a, but I am thinking this winter after the holiday I will re-assemble my pvc frame and do one of my many tops......just for the practice and I loved the relaxation of the handquilting process....I can set up right in front of the tv in family room and w/ott light be a happy camper.

I have a marvelous wooden frame and several hoops ... all money wasted because I learned I need the freedom of hand quilting with no frame or hoop. During the cold time of year, I do what others do and sit under the quilt while I stitch, so I save the small and awkward to-be-quilted areas for the winter. The large straight lines (grids, mostly) I do during the rest of the year while the quilt sits on one end of my large cutting table; the table not only supports the weight of the quilt, but is a good height for me.

Blog Entries
    My 84 year old mother hand quilts with her grandmother's hoop (true!!!) and sits in her recliner to quilt with the arms as support for the quilting similar to one of the first posts on this thread.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I don't use a hoop of any kind or a frame. I have hand quilted a queen and king quilt with no problems. I baste well and keep it smoothed out as I go. It is just easier for me to not use a hoop. As far as stitches per inch I just do the best I can and it looks nice especially after it is washed. Just saying!

OK, I'll admit it, I hand quilt because I don't know how to machine quilt. I purchased a hoop but like many, just can't get used to it. I saw a video about hoopless quilting and that was it for me. I was given permission to do what I prefer and I love it. If I needed perfect stitches, I would not use batting. I make my quilts to be used, never will they be considered show pieces!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Once again I just have to say how much I love this board. Everyone is so laid back. We all give each other (and ourselves) permission to do what we love the way that works for us!

I have not done a whole lot of hand quilting, but I do enjoy handwork and hope to try more in the future. I have tried with and without a hoop and still haven't decided which I like best. I bought a quilting hoop that fits in a universal stand that I bought years ago for cross stitch and hand embroidery. I sort of think my stitches look better in the hoop than out of it. I tried various hoops just in my lap and found it awkward to keep the hoop positioned while stitching. I've tried just the basted quilt without any hoop at all and that was more comfortable but then my stitches were very irregular. I think I need to just keep practicing and trying different methods till I find what works.

Two things I have decided for sure: 1) I have to use a thimble even though I don't normally use one for hand-sewing, and 2) I prefer to thread-baste the layers for hand quilting rather than use pins. My thread always wants to catch on the safety pins as I'm quilting.
    www.makeminepatchwork.etsy.com
    www.zibbet.com/makeminepatchwork
    "Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast