Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No More Batting at Michael's???? >

No More Batting at Michael's????

No More Batting at Michael's????

Old 04-26-2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Debbie C
I just came from my local WalMart here on Long Island and was thrilled! They have completely re-vamped their sewing department with quilt-friendly patterns (yay!). I got fabrics for $2 and under, batting for queen/king for $7 and a BIG new rotary cutting pad for $9. I am a happy quilter
Hi Debbie C! I'm in Lake Grove. Which Walmart do you go to? The one I go to in Centereach only has the terrible pre-cuts and a few notions.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:58 PM

The Michael's in our town doesn't carry it or any quilting supplies at all.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:08 PM

I went to the one in Middle Island. The salesclerk showed me some unadvertised specials - but that was the regular price on the cutting board. They have hundreds of bolts of fabrics plus the 'discounted $1 and $1.50/yard" fabric.
Originally Posted by AFQSinc
I just came from my local WalMart here on Long Island and was thrilled! They have completely re-vamped their sewing department with quilt-friendly patterns (yay!). I got fabrics for $2 and under, batting for queen/king for $7 and a BIG new rotary cutting pad for $9. I am a happy quilter
Hi Debbie C! I'm in Lake Grove. Which Walmart do you go to? The one I go to in Centereach only has the terrible pre-cuts and a few notions.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
That's exactly why I stepped up my stockpiling of cotton batting! I guess I'd better start hunting around at Joann and elsewhere before it completely disappears! Starting to panic.
I'm warding off panic by also stocking up on cotton batting. :x Guess I'm not the only one, huh?!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:11 PM
Power Poster

Never seen batting at Michaels. But seeing the posts about cotton batting and prices has got me to thinking I should use my JoAnns 50% off coupons on batting while it's still available.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
If they quit making 100% cotton batting I will quit quilting and find another hobby! I can NOT stand the feel of other batting on my hands (snob? yes!). sad but true!
Try wool. I've recently made some quilts with wool batting and I LOVE IT!! Beautiful loft, drapes wonderfully, and much lighter than cotton.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:21 PM

I order my batting from Joanns when they are having a a 50% off sale, and hopefully free shipping........
Old 04-26-2011, 06:22 PM

if worse comes to worst, I will start buying lightweight blankets in lieu of the disappearing batting!
Originally Posted by Delilah
Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
If they quit making 100% cotton batting I will quit quilting and find another hobby! I can NOT stand the feel of other batting on my hands (snob? yes!). sad but true!
Try wool. I've recently made some quilts with wool batting and I LOVE IT!! Beautiful loft, drapes wonderfully, and much lighter than cotton.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:34 PM

if worse comes to worst, I will start buying lightweight blankets in lieu of the disappearing batting!
Originally Posted by Delilah
I was thinking the same, we can haunt the second hand stores for old blankets.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:32 PM

Michaels here don't carry any sewing or quilting items...I live in Central Texas...I was surprised to hear that some Michaels carry sewing quilting and items.I'm in central Texas.