Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No More Quilting Purchases!!! >

No More Quilting Purchases!!!

No More Quilting Purchases!!!

Old 07-26-2011, 06:44 AM

I don't see the problem... ;)
Old 07-26-2011, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by marknfran
I thought fabric prices were high! However, yesterday I bought a beef roast and it cost $5.49 a lb...and that was the cheaper price.....even their pork chops were $4.79 a pound. Where have I been? We finally used up the roast we bought on sale and froze.....it was $1.99 a lb.....pork chops frozen, one pkg left, was $2.49 lb. Gotta tighten our belts!!!! With the drought and cattle going to market, do you think beef prices will go down?
Beef prices will go down only until someone says "wait a minute, we're running out of cattle, we got to start charging more :!: "
Old 07-26-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Honey I'm feeling your pain. Here's what I do when I get that urge to buy fabric. I buy a FQ or 2 and then leave the store. It's satisfies my need to buy and I don't go over budget. :-)
A strong-willed woman :!:
Old 07-26-2011, 06:49 AM

Is it okay to ask for gift certificates to fabric stores for my birthday next month? :) Seriously though, even though I have a smaller stash, I really think I have enough fabric to keep me busy for the next year. I've learned not to take my daughter shopping with me. She doesn't sew or quilt, but sure likes to pick out fabric and put it in my cart. When I ask her what it's for, she says she doesn't know but she likes it and she's sure I can come up with something to make for her and her son who's due in 2 weeks. We are doing improvements on the house and to get what I want for furnishings for our new family room in the basement, I have to cut down on what I spend on quilting. I am going to limit my purchases to backings, battings and what I need to continue and finish the BOM I'm taking part in.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:50 AM

I have already told my adult children that my fabric goes to the local quilt guild when I die. At least it will, hopefully, be used and appreciated. What they don't want will be given to someone else who will use it.
I have studied the steps that lead to acting out of addiction. I can feel that rush that pushes me toward buying. I have to purposely turn away or I will buy more fabric. I have applied to three school districts to work this school year so that will use up some of that energy and time I've had to go to quilt shops. Of course I might have a little more money to shop, also.
Some of the people who talk on money management talk about sales and unplanned spending being what gets us in financial trouble.
I know that it is very hard not to want things - more quilt fabric - etc. but we can overcome, we can work out of our stashes. I know we don't have to give in that rush.
With love and hugs to all - we can do it.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:53 AM

I made a commitment for a year to not buy anything that didnt start with a "B". (batik excluded). So I only bought backing, binding, batting, borders. In other words, only items needed to finish UFOs.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:01 AM

I don't buy a lot either. Just if something is needed. I have so much already. We have all been where you are.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:05 AM

I suffer from the same illness. I see sooooo many beautiful fabrics and know that if I don't get them now, chances are they will not be available again. Wish I could help you, but I'm in the same boat. Good Luck!
Old 07-26-2011, 07:12 AM

When you want to buy something and it is not necessary think about where your stash is going when you die. Likely no one in the family will want it and either the trash or a cheap garage sale will catch it. So use up your stash to keep it out of the landfill or being sold for nothing. Best way I can think of not to buy anything else. I, too, wanted something I saw when I saw it whether I had a project for it or not, but now have so much 'stash' I will never use it all in three lifetimes, so have to use as much of it as I can. You can get really creative with what you have.

My 2 cents for the day.

TheMachineLady
Old 07-26-2011, 07:17 AM

Jean, you need to live next door to me.