Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: No More Quilting Purchases!!!

When I can't buy I stay away from places fabric is sold. Been stying at home a lot lately.

Blog Entries
    I don't go fabric looking unless I HAVE to have something to complete a project. In 2011 I am allowing my self the 4 Bs...backing, batting, background, border only. If I can't make it from my stash I will have to do something else.
    Debbie

My problem is not going to stores - I pretty much hate shopping and stores. But then one of you-all shows a pretty piece of fabric or talks about an online sale and I can't resist. Too easy online.

I do like the four questions that charity-crafter uses.

Banned
    I feel your pain. My $900 shower redo turned into $2200 last week and the termite guy took another $900 the same week. Needless to say we had a QS trip already planned for this past Friday so I could not back out but decided in advance to just look. Ok $162 later I had fabric for a couple. My daugter tells me it's like AA but FA. I'm familar with AA and realized you have to admit it's an issue. So here is what she challenged me with. 12 months no buy. Can I do it? Only thing that doesn't count is batting and backing if I buy a sheet to use. I should mention the new quilting frame, stitch regulator and pattern perfect last month didn't help the budget. So as of July 25, 2011 I am trying a 12 month no buy. Repeat after me - my name if vicky and I'm a fabricaholic. It's been 3 days since my last purchase. I should mention you have to have a good sized stash to do this or sew slow. I made 2 baby quilts over the weekend. Anyone wanna join in

Quote Originally Posted by Zhillslady
    I feel your pain. My $900 shower redo turned into $2200 last week and the termite guy took another $900 the same week. Needless to say we had a QS trip already planned for this past Friday so I could not back out but decided in advance to just look. Ok $162 later I had fabric for a couple. My daugter tells me it's like AA but FA. I'm familar with AA and realized you have to admit it's an issue. So here is what she challenged me with. 12 months no buy. Can I do it? Only thing that doesn't count is batting and backing if I buy a sheet to use. I should mention the new quilting frame, stitch regulator and pattern perfect last month didn't help the budget. So as of July 25, 2011 I am trying a 12 month no buy. Repeat after me - my name if vicky and I'm a fabricaholic. It's been 3 days since my last purchase. I should mention you have to have a good sized stash to do this or sew slow. I made 2 baby quilts over the weekend. Anyone wanna join in
    ME ME ME!! :) I am a fabricaholic/notionaholic. I will have to start tomorrow since I already made a purchase today. However, I vow to make no additional purchases (only buy something to complete a project) until my stash is whittled down to odds and ends (no pieces purchased for a project). Oh wait. Except for the baby quilt I want to make for a cousin (nothing in my stash for babies). :)

I'm with the cash only camp. Each month I put my quilting budget in the envelope and when it is gone it's gone. Ideally, you don't spend money from other envelopes on quilting (I have been guilty of taking from the entertainment budget).....hmmmm quilting counts as entertainment right?

It also helps to only buy what you need for the project at hand. I don't like using july money on a project that I'm not going to start until the fall. Remember their will always be another sale.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    The online sales are a killer for me!!! In this heat I'm content to stay home but getting online......... and on top of it everyone on the board tells me where the latest sale is, shame on all of you!!! LOL :D

I am cutting down on my fabric buying. I have made recently two lap quilts for my good friends, and three quilts for Linus. I am in the process of cutting out another lap quilt for an 80th birthday present. ALL OF THIS OUT OF MY STASH. I have not had to buy batting or backing so far, but now I have run out of batting. I,and a friend are keeping a book on what we spend this year on our quilting hobby So this is making me think first as to whether I need it or not, before I purchase.

Blog Entries
    I do not look at adds.
    I do not open the emails.
    I do not go near any fabric.

I eat a lot of chocolate.

I made myself promise not to buy any more fabric because I am saving for a new machine. And if I want the machine, I cannot buy more fabric to sit around and take up space. So...I am trying. However, its really hard when all of you post such wonderful fabrics for sale !!!!!!!!!!! These boards are my worse downfall, lol.

But I love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Glassquilt
    I do not look at adds.
    I do not open the emails.
    I do not go near any fabric.

I eat a lot of chocolate.
    That is hysterical!

I have really cut down what I'm buying since prices are so insane. I absolutely refuse to buy unless the price is less than $5/yard for quilt shop quality. That limits my buying a lot!

I like your suggestions, though. I'm no longer going to save any JF coupons or even look at the flyers. I think I'll unsubscribe from their mailing list.

I go to a retreat twice a year sponsored by a nearby quilt shop and what I've been doing is limiting what I can spend at the retreat to the change we save at our house. That keeps me in check when everyone else is going crazy during our special shopping hours.

If you can afford it, and it makes you happy, then by all means happy shopping...Being a breast cancer survivor, I'm very much in tune with that saying "we only go around once"....Soooooo.....Shop til you "quilt"......:)

San

Quote Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
    HELP!!! I am SOOOOOOO over budget in my quilting related purchases this month, and my trip to Joann's sure didnt help. (but I did get camo fabric for the bbq apron for my bf, fabric to make a purse, and interfacing for three purses, fabric for a four patch posey and materials for my WIP Dresden Plate Block quilt, and lots of thread and some quilt clamps).

My question to you is how do you stop!! I see something that I just have to have, since who knows if it will be there later! I just need to stop LOOKING. :) Which is IMPOSSIBLE. :):)

Any thoughts QB friends?
    I have the fever! :lol: Keep finding and buying fabric and yet am so slow and way behind in creating any items....except I finally made four pincushions....could do that sitting in my lazyboy watching my favorite shows. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    One thing that I have started doing is use one of the 50 percent off coupon if I go to Joannes...I only buy one thing....it really has helped! I try not to buy on line...though I have a few time on Keepsakes quilt shop. But really...I do not need anymore fabric....My closet it full.

I thought fabric prices were high! However, yesterday I bought a beef roast and it cost $5.49 a lb...and that was the cheaper price.....even their pork chops were $4.79 a pound. Where have I been? We finally used up the roast we bought on sale and froze.....it was $1.99 a lb.....pork chops frozen, one pkg left, was $2.49 lb. Gotta tighten our belts!!!! With the drought and cattle going to market, do you think beef prices will go down?

Blog Entries
    I have to make myself stay home .. I tell myself I have enough and then try to work on things I already have. Works for a while. I usually go a couple months before I get the urge to go out again, and then watch out!!

Blog Entries
    I have a hard time not buying fabric. It is a pleasure for so many senses that I don't seem to mind pulling out the credit card. However, I took a hard look at my stash and had to admit that I am fast approaching the ludicrous level. NOW, the only fabric I am allowed to buy if IFF I need it (and I mean REALLY NEED not want) to complete a UFO, for backing (because I don't have many large pieces).

Last week I got to buy some fabric to complete a border on a Round Robin. It surprised me, but I actually figured out how much fabric the project needed and I managed to buy that much with a tiny fudge factor for shrinkage. Perfect!

You just need to be honest with yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Treasureit
    I have made myself a challenge to use up some of my stash before I go buy new stuff. Problem is...I can be sewing for many years before I need to enter a store again...that is no fun!
    Ok so God has a different plan for you than shopping for fabric...Huggs...

Must have been the day for it...had breakfast with a friend and then off to a quilt shop for us...3 hours in quilt shop...budget blown for the next month...but ooooh I have some pretty Amy Butler fabrics and 3 new quilt books that were 1/2 off...can't resist a good deal...more for my money!...or at least that is what I am telling myself..and my husband..hehe

If your downfall is your lunch hours, why don't you bring a small hand project in to work on during lunch? Or a quilting book from the library? Something to occupy you so that you don't have the urge to "just go take a look." ;)

Quote Originally Posted by khurtdvm
    If your downfall is your lunch hours, why don't you bring a small hand project in to work on during lunch? Or a quilting book from the library? Something to occupy you so that you don't have the urge to "just go take a look." ;)
    I have done that in the past... I will have to start that again. My hand quilting project is too big I think, but I have some Hexagons I can get to sewing. :)

Blog Entries
    Best way...leave your credit card at home...bring cash only...that way you really have to think...what do I really want and also bring only what your budget can afford.

I am so bad grounded right now. First the bow purses got me bad and I had to have the pattern in both sizes. My quilt book club had a huge sale, had to take advantage of that in June so I could get a better deal in July. Working on the breast cancer quilt for grams and with boys I needed pink fabric for it, then the fabric I had to get for the BOM quilts I am finally putting together and need to buy what I can when I can find it (being discontinued and all). Of course, who can pass up on a 40% off coupon at JoAnn's when I finally found the triangle ruler I wanted forever.....I am just bad, bad, bad and so grounded so I guess that is how I am going to be saving in August--LOL

I have to NOT go shopping or looking

Blog Entries
    You stop going to the stores. You stop looking online. If you have to get something at the store take only that much money, no credit cards or check book.

I am addicted to shopping and have had to stop spending. I've got to stay on my budget. So what I put above is what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
    HELP!!! I am SOOOOOOO over budget in my quilting related purchases this month, and my trip to Joann's sure didnt help. (but I did get camo fabric for the bbq apron for my bf, fabric to make a purse, and interfacing for three purses, fabric for a four patch posey and materials for my WIP Dresden Plate Block quilt, and lots of thread and some quilt clamps).

My question to you is how do you stop!! I see something that I just have to have, since who knows if it will be there later! I just need to stop LOOKING. :) Which is IMPOSSIBLE. :):)

Any thoughts QB friends?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast