Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
no plastic templates for fussy cutting >

no plastic templates for fussy cutting

no plastic templates for fussy cutting

Old 07-15-2012, 08:59 AM

I use Sharpies and then wipe the Sharpie marks off with rubbing alcohol when done. No smearing of the tracing this way.
Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
I haven't seen this tip before, so thought i'd share it. Instead of creating plastic templates and using permanent marker to map portions of fabric for fussy cutting, i came upon the idea of using Vis-a-Vis wet erase markers and my regular omnigrid rulers. Just put the ruler over the part you want to fussy cut, outline sufficiently for pattern match-up, and use the wet erase marker to outline. Give it a couple of minutes to dry and you're good to go. Now it will smudge if you keep touching the mark - but i just try to make sure that i have enought space around the guidelines to hold the ruler while i cut. This works well for my "kaleidescope" dresden plates too. When you're done - just use a damp tissue to wipe the marks off your ruler. Attached picture is a sample. Not saying this will work for every project - but it can be a time and money saver.[ATTACH=CONFIG]348703[/ATTACH]
Old 07-15-2012, 08:11 PM

I'm with you Brendaln, I don't get it either. Could you please explain further? Pretty Please?

Linda58

Originally Posted by brendaln View Post
Guess I am slow this morning. I don't understand this at all. I think you are saying mark on the plastic? I can't get in my head how that would help you fussy cut.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:17 PM

Great tip, thanks!
Old 07-15-2012, 09:25 PM

What a great idea! I will be doing a few different projects that require fussy matching and this will make it much easier!
Old 07-16-2012, 07:05 AM

Hi Linda...for fussy cutting - when you want one particular pattern from your fabric to say be the middle of your square...and you want to repeat that exactly in each square...you can mark the ruler -- so that you can cut the pattern out exactly each time. The advantage over making a template with plastic is that you can use the marked ruler to actually make your cuts - which really doesn't work with template plastic.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:07 AM

DadaNVa....thank you for the info about the sharpies info !!! I used the wet erase because i had them at home - i got my grand-daughters a wet erase board and colored markers for drawing --- but now I'm switching !!!!